Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mike_M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

I will give the guy credit in that he has made some major outlay on replacements parts and gone above and beyond factory specs with the chrome work which I know from firsthand experience does add up very quickly.

The problem is that WH20 has never been regarded as an A list title and will rarely achieve A list pricing no matter how much cash you pour into a restoration and as mentioned before it is one of the bigger money pit titles given the number of replacement parts now available for it. And at this asking pricing level you are in restored AFM territory. A few grand less in the low five figure range and the seller would start to get some bites given the lack of comparable domestic examples.

Just to add that it may be on the high side in terms of pricing, but at least in the $15,500 listing the outlay and labour spent is clearly visible unlike the other option listed locally with missing topper, faded cabinet and cloudy ramps.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHITE-WATER-PINBALL-MACHINE-IN-GOOD-WORKING-CONDITION-ONLY-5500-/262939056712?hash=item3d38639a48:g:r4UAAOSwIWVY8uSg

To the original question, only if the money has visibly been spent on it with new replacement of major parts (ramps, playfield, cab decals, ColorDMD et al) and more than just a wipe over of the playfield and rubber replacement.

#52 7 years ago

5K for a great condition original? I don't think so. But hey, some one COULD think it's the best game ever and buy it. I'd say $4,999 full retail seems about right. For those that know where and how to look, and have just a tad bit of patience, you can find a nice one for less than 5K.

#53 7 years ago

So would the next question be; 'is WH2O really a top 25 game?'

#54 7 years ago

My 2 cents - the vacation jackpot scream is hilarious and completely awesome.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That's completely based on personal opinion... at least the price can discussed with data points.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

That's completely based on personal opinion... at least the price can discussed with data points.

Fair point. You inspired me to check the ratings though, so I'll toss them out there:
- Pinside: WH2O is 21st highest ranked SS game
- IPDB: WH2O is the 7th highest ranked SS game

I didn't realize it had climbed so high on IPDB, now just below MM.

#57 7 years ago

Whitewater is one of the families favorites. I paid more for mine, but it has a new PF, ramps, decals etc.... I don't like wasting money, but will pay more for top notch restorations. They don't pop up enough in restored condition.

#58 7 years ago

I had to sell mine last fall because of personal stuff and ended up letting it go for $3,200. It was in decent shape with LEDs and new power driver board, and a few new ramps. It played 100% and was a nice example. I took detailed pics of the planking so there were no surprises, it honestly didnt look bad in person but it seemed to turn people off to the game. Like any game, it is worth what people will pay; location, condition, ease of transaction all factor in. It is a great game and most games like it continue to go up and up in value. Personally I would put $5k towards a different title, or two titles.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Intriguing. What are the other members? NASCAR and Wheel of Fortune?

Quoted from Farmboss:

My guess is Fish Tales, White Water and Road Show. I had all three but only FT remains and is not going anywhere. To me the plunge on White Water plus the shot up the middle to the upper playfield were not fun and slowed the game down. There was no flow in my opinion.

Yes. This is the Bally/Williams version. Adding NASCAR would make it the "Redneck Fourplay". There's a joke in there, if someone's willing to share?

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yes. This is the Bally/Williams version. Adding NASCAR would make it the "Redneck Fourplay". There's a joke in there, if someone's willing to share?

NASCAR's a no-brainer but I'm holding out for Wheel! May not be as redneck of a game show as Family Feud but it runs a close second ...

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If I had the money n space for a 25pin collection it would certainly be in it.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

If I had the money n space for a 25pin collection it would certainly be in it.

I've played a lot of WH2O and it would fall outside of my personal top 25. It would probably make the top 50 though.

#63 7 years ago

I would say "Yes" when comparing it to Sterns current quality build, software and lack of non-licensed themes.
~Steveo
(my WH20 is bolted to the gameroom floor)

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep I was passing on them for 1800 not even that long ago. It's one of the few like Congo/BSD that went straight up and never came down.

but congo is actually worth it.

#65 7 years ago

People who own it will say yes. Those that don't will say no.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

true story!

#67 7 years ago

some think they can get that. For me. I passed on it dozen of times at $1400 because I didn't think it was worth it then and still don't.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

or

Those who can Vacation Jackpot will say yes. Those who can't will say no! LOL

Seriously though...to all the haters - If you can reach Vacation Jackpot on a WH20 running the old code (where the hold bonus was broken) then I challenge you to say that you did not have fun doing it!

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

but congo is actually worth it.

Of BSD, WH2O and Congo, I feel Congo is by far the inferior game. Disconnected ruleset of random features, crummy wizard mode, crummy underplayfield toy, annoying voices. At least the music is good.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Cool game. Code isn't there to make it worth that much IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with the code. It's a perfectly programmed great game with fun rules, a little challenge and a little nuance. Are you confusing depth with code?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's accurate. 10 years ago it was more like a $1500 game.

When I got mine 10 years ago it was a $750 game!

#71 7 years ago

I bought and sold mine for $4200.

If you don't understand why the price went up after parts became available then I dunno what to say, it's basic economics. Replacing the ramps alone is what, like $700? They were cheap when you couldn't fix them, got expensive when people invested a bunch in them.

It's a great game, I don't miss it miss it, but I'd still play it if I had it.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Have Mike Dallas Wh20 restore job. As good as it gets and would never unload it.
I was offered $9k for it. No deal.

Man you got that one, I remembered that one Mike D was asking $8k, it was just bad timing for me and I wanted it cause it was as close to a HEP restore if not on the same level as possible.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Man you got that one, I remembered that one Mike D was asking $8k, it was just bad timing for me and I wanted it cause it was as close to a HEP restore if not on the same level as possible.

It's amazing. Mike is very talented

I finally agree with Rare on something with respect to code on Wh20

Hard to believe

#74 7 years ago

Some of the comments in this thread are pretty funny. You guys want a nice base WH2O which is going to cost around $4000 but you want it to have new decals (labor plus decal cost $500+) new ramps $700, new plastics and boulders $400, and for it to cost $4200 now. Makes perfect sense

I get if you don't like the game, that fine. But some of the comments about code are just silly. I assume you folks are just scoring vacation jackpots left and right then.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I get if you don't like the game, that fine. But some of the comments about code are just silly. I assume you folks are just scoring vacation jackpots left and right then.

"Code" is rarely an issue on 90's games. I think people might be complaining about "depth"...but not all games need to be LOTR-deep to be good. A game like Whitewater is a perfect combination of incredible design & rules working together....everything functions as designed and it's super fun. I wouldn't want anything different on Whitewater's rules.

When people complain about "code"...it's because current games are shipping unfinished, with unfinished features, bugs, and rules that have been rushed rather than refined.

#76 7 years ago

Still one of my favs,so ya worth every penny.

#77 7 years ago

Wh20 is a fantastic game. Fast fun game that will kick your ass More times than not. I regret selling mine.

#78 7 years ago

$5k game for sure if its in nice shape and fully working. Music is cheesy. Callouts are great. Few games have as much flow and pure ramp bliss as White Water. The rules are easy to understand, hard to achieve but very fun and rewarding. The theme is awesome. The art is awesome. Animated BigFoot is super awesome. 5X the playfield jackpots will blow you're socks off. Punishing shots and an unforgiving extra ball target puts it over the top and makes you come back for more.

Did i mention it has an interactive BIGFOOT on the playfield??

This WAS a $2k game when i started collecting awhile back and stayed that way for a long time. I'm glad to see its finally where it deserves to be as an A list game.

I went through 4 machines (upgrading each time) to find the one i have now. NOS playfield, new boulders, plastics, ramps. NOS topper. New silk screened side art, etc. Its in my top 10 of all time and i'm gonna hold on to it as long as i can.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Of BSD, WH2O and Congo, I feel Congo is by far the inferior game. Disconnected ruleset of random features, crummy wizard mode, crummy underplayfield toy, annoying voices. At least the music is good.

Yeah Congo is a bit of a mess. I bought a nice one cheap about 15 years ago and tried to learn to like it but sold it 4 months later. Fun dinking around with Amy and the volcano shot but it quickly became a yawner... just not much to it.

#80 7 years ago

I agree with criticism of Congo but stull love it. I like the randomness of it, shots, and the different unique modes. It's a game I can just play and enjoy without getting serious.

I would love to have a Whitewater someday. Great game in every way. If I did have one, I would need a Fish Tails to park next to it. Love those games. Not sure about the prices though. Never seen a WH2O go for $5000+. That's way too much for me. You can get a lot of great new and older games at that price level.

#81 7 years ago

I have a new cleared PF in mine with lightning flippers and powerballs instead of regular pinballs. I dare any of you to come play it. It will kick your ass.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I have a new cleared PF in mine with lightning flippers and powerballs instead of regular pinballs. I dare any of you to come play it. It will kick your ass.

I'm guessing you play it barefoot while standing on a pile of broken glass?

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm guessing you play it barefoot while standing on a pile of broken glass?

Of course. I just got tired of getting the Vacation Jackpot all the time.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes, in my top 25, probably top 10. The opinion polls agree. Anyone else's opinion may not.

#85 7 years ago

I believe it would be if it was in fantastic shape. Picked mine up few years ago in low $4k with color dmd
and all around excellent shape. Its one pin in my collection I always go to play a lot.
Thought about parting with it a while ago but man it was too hard to do so. Love the gameplay and theme
is a plus.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

$5k game for sure if its in nice shape and fully working. Music is cheesy. Callouts are great. Few games have as much flow and pure ramp bliss as White Water. The rules are easy to understand, hard to achieve but very fun and rewarding. The theme is awesome. The art is awesome. Animated BigFoot is super awesome. 5X the playfield jackpots will blow you're socks off. Punishing shots and an unforgiving extra ball target puts it over the top and makes you come back for more.
Did i mention it has an interactive BIGFOOT on the playfield??
This WAS a $2k game when i started collecting awhile back and stayed that way for a long time. I'm glad to see its finally where it deserves to be as an A list game.
I went through 4 machines (upgrading each time) to find the one i have now. NOS playfield, new boulders, plastics, ramps. NOS topper. New silk screened side art, etc. Its in my top 10 of all time and i'm gonna hold on to it as long as i can.

I agree with all this, EXCEPT you have the music and callouts backwards. The music is amazing, especially for this era of game. Really implemented well how it changes with the raft levels. Callouts can be cheesy. I cringe a little bit every time I get into 'Boulder Bash' with all the "Oh, Ah, Ew" callouts. Wet Willy is a funny guy, though!

#87 7 years ago

I ended up playing a bunch of WH20 at TPF this year; really enjoyed it. It wasn't my first time playing but the one at TPF played so much better than the beater I used to play on route. I like it enough that I'd consider adding it to my collection, but not so much that I'd pay 5k or greater for it. In the mid 4s for a very good condition example though? Sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

17,250 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-wh2o-really-a-5k-plus-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.