• Latest reply 7 years ago by floyd1977
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

episode-1-horse-walkers-760.jpg
carl-walking-dead-416.jpg
There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Looking at buying a new pin, deciding between kid friendly themes like Transformers, Hulk and WOZ...Hadn't really looked at TWD until last night, but it looks like a fun pin.

Is it kid-friendly? Any curse words or anything? Metallica and ACDC are out, because of some of the things I've seen on those tables, I initially wrote TWD off, but it looks like most of the action in it is satirical.

I don't watch the show, so don't really care about the theme, but if it's just a light hearted Left4Dead/Dead Rising type of theme to it, I might get it.

Need some advice from those who have it.

#2 9 years ago

Also, should note, I'm looking at the Premium version.

#3 9 years ago

I've seen more than a couple TWDs sold because the wife didn't approve with children in the house or it scared their children.

#4 9 years ago

Not if your kid loves the TV show and actually expects some stuff from the show to be in the game.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Looking at buying a new pin, deciding between kid friendly themes like Transformers, Hulk and WOZ...Hadn't really looked at TWD until last night, but it looks like a fun pin.
Is it kid-friendly? Any curse words or anything? Metallica and ACDC are out, because of some of the things I've seen on those tables, I initially wrote TWD off, but it looks like most of the action in it is satirical.
I don't watch the show, so don't really care about the theme, but if it's just a light hearted Left4Dead/Dead Rising type of theme to it, I might get it.

Dont know if it makes a difference, Metallica you can turn off the profanity, I would think ACDC is the same

#6 9 years ago

In the adult mode there is some swearing. I like the game but it is gross to a lot of people. My 10 year old daughter doesn't like it but its presence doesn't bother her. It is really a game I wouldn't purchase without trying it out if you are concerned.

#7 9 years ago

For a family, I cant think of a better pinball than WOZ. However I think a family would enjoy TAF more.... although younger kids may not appreciate it as much.

Imagine your kid walking around at night, running into a zombie... aka cabinet. He'll forever be traumatized...

#8 9 years ago

It is incredibly violent. You didn't mention how old your kids are, but most people wouldn't be happy with small children being exposed to stuff like that. I'm not kidding about the violence. Heads being blown off, entrails being torn out and eaten, you name it ... I have 10-year-olds, and I don't have a problem with it, but I take the game off free play when their friends come over.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It is incredibly violent. You didn't mention how old your kids are, but most people wouldn't be happy with small children being exposed to stuff like that. I'm not kidding about the violence. Heads being blown off, entrails being torn out and eaten, you name it ... I have 10-year-olds, and I don't have a problem with it, but I take the game off free play when their friends come over.

The dmd animations are incredible but gruesome. It does really depend on the kid.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

If ACDC is too harsh for your family than I would say that TWD would be as well. Lots of violence/gore and the DMD images are extremely gruesome! ACDC is very tame by comparison.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not if your kid loves the TV show and actually expects some stuff from the show to be in the game.

+1,000,000

#12 9 years ago

kids these days have unfortunately seen it all, but some dots of zombies heads getting blown off shouldn't traumatize them too much.
find one on location and see what their and your wife's reaction is to it.

#13 9 years ago

My daughter 4 wont go near it. . . . She does not like the game at all.

#14 9 years ago

No way , i had a nightmare over this pin and i am fortyseven .

#15 9 years ago

Carl in the TV show was like 12 years old in the 1st season, so if your kids are older than 12, I think it's time they learn to fire a gun and perform C-sections on their mom.

carl-walking-dead-416.jpgcarl-walking-dead-416.jpg
#16 9 years ago

I'd say no. I mean the name alone..The Walking Dead, not exactly Disney.

#17 9 years ago

I played DOOM and Wolfenstein pretty regularly when I was five.

I'm a realistic, compassionate and completely functional human being.

Kids are smarter than you think. If they are old enough to differentiate between real life and fantasy I don't think they will have a problem. But every kid is different!

For instance, the Toy Story movie series probably screwed me up more than anything else. Turned me into a childhood hoarder!

#18 9 years ago

Thanks QuarterGrabber for my 89th thumbs down for speaking the truth about the Walking Dead pinball, can I have another?

#19 9 years ago

Do you really need to ask if TWD is kid friendly? If you are okay with the violent and gore theme then I don't think a little swearing would be a big deal. Just saying.

#20 9 years ago

I guess it depends on your children.

#21 9 years ago

The machine has a kid friendly setting in the setup menu. You can toggle that back and forth at any time.

And no issues here with a 7 year old daughter; she plays it and watches people play it all the time.

Quoted from ff6735:

I've seen more than a couple TWDs sold because the wife didn't approve with children in the house or it scared their children.

Hyperbole? How many? I've seen two sold here for such reasons.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

5 years old, and our friends who bring their kids over are in the 3 to 10 year age range...We have people over a lot for parties and such.

Might have to just get a WOZ or TF then.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If ACDC is too harsh for your family than I would say that TWD would be as well. Lots of violence/gore and the DMD images are extremely gruesome! ACDC is very tame by comparison.

The questionable things on ACDC were the hell references, devil and some of the DMD stuff was a little risque.

I appreciate the info, I hadn't played TWD yet, was hoping it would be more satirical, but sounds like it is a mature pin...Wife would get pissed if I decide to buy a 7k pin that is that violent.

Hmmm; Now have to decide between TF and WOZ....Decisions, decisions.

Thx for the input everyone

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

The machine has a kid friendly setting in the setup menu. You can toggle that back and forth at any time.
And no issues here with a 7 year old daughter; she plays it and watches people play it all the time.

Hyperbole? How many? I've seen two sold here for such reasons.

Interesting, so the kid friendly setting limits the DMD stuff? Interesting; I might have to find a place that has this locally so that I can play it first.

#25 9 years ago

What are the walker kill animations replaced with in family mode? Bicycle girl animation? Match play too? That sounds like a lof of extra dots in there.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Hmmm; Now have to decide between TF and WOZ....Decisions, decisions.

No decision there for me. WOZ all day long over TF.
TF is fun but such a bare bones playfield and the theme is not for me as well.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

if it's just a light hearted Left4Dead/Dead Rising type of theme to it, I might get it.

I dont own it but have played it. I can assure you its not a light hearted theme.

#28 9 years ago

they are not replaced with anything nor are the kills removed. Family friendly mode does nothing in TWD.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

they are not replaced with anything nor are the kills removed. Family friendly mode does nothing in TWD.

So there's still a sh!t ton of points on that ramp?

#30 9 years ago

No there is a beep load of point. Sorry it does censor language. I just got the pin delivered this morning.I am also coloring the dots on this game and can confirm no alternate animations in the rom.

#31 9 years ago

I guess my parents were pretty lax on the whole censorship thing. My favorite movies when I was in first grade was Jurassic Park and Poltergeist.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Interesting, so the kid friendly setting limits the DMD stuff? Interesting; I might have to find a place that has this locally so that I can play it first.

I haven't tried the family setting yet myself but there are some poster's here commenting wrt the DMD graphics on that setting.

I always recommend people try it for themselves. Different strokes for different folks.

#33 9 years ago

if your alright with kids seeing blood and gore or swearing then you should be ok... if that helps any. My parents were pretty lax on censorship but every kid is different.

Oh i just read your comments on AC/DC so it will be a no go on walking dead. but its deferentially not Risque just violent.

id take WOZ over TF but are those your only options

#34 9 years ago

There is no F'ing way I would let me 5 year old watch the show or play this game. Any child in their right mind will be scared sh*tless. I would wait to expose a kid to this type of gore when the are old enough to understand the difference between fake and real. At 5, you can be sitting right in from of them, put on a gory mask, and they will be scared, even though they know it's you. they just aren't mature enough to understand.

My kids are 12 and 13 arent horror watchers and they don't enjoy seeing other human beings hurt, murdered and chopped up. They are old enough to choose and don't care for it. Though TWD is not a horror movie and a little more tasteful, we have tried to watch it but......whack whack....

We have opted against the game because it's simply not a theme we are into, though i realize it is one of the best tv series ever. But so is "friends" and I don't want the pinball.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

if your alright with kids seeing blood and gore or swearing then you should be ok... if that helps any. My parents were pretty lax on censorship but every kid is different.
Oh i just read your comments on AC/DC so it will be a no go on Walking Dead. but its deferentially not Risque just violent.
id take WOZ over TF but are those your only options

Awesome, thanks for the input.

Dave

#36 9 years ago

Gosh no good for my 2.5 y old then . Damn.. Looks like I will need to keep it boxed for a couple of years.. Arf...

#37 9 years ago

Maybe the cabinet of the LE is a bit more kid friendly than the premium?

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Carl in the TV show was like 12 years old in the 1st season, so if your kids are older than 12, I think it's time they learn to fire a gun and perform C-sections on their mom.

carl-walking-dead-416.jpg 94 KB

Heh heh, yeah, I agree.
Perhaps add some training on:

Spiking zombie skulls with a pipe
Killing other non-zombie kids with a .44 Magnum
General Mr. Mayhem training w/ a variety of deadly weapons

and on ... hell might as well get 'em ready for the real world
TWD LE #416

#39 9 years ago

I'm 14 and I'm allowed to play Metallica and TWD no problem, but both machines shouldn't be played by younger children. If you want a deep game for younger kids try and get Mustang or Spider-Man.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Kineticross:

I'm 14 and I'm allowed to play Metallica and TWD no problem, but both machines shouldn't be played by younger children. If you want a deep game for younger kids try and get Mustang or Spider-Man.

Do you have younger siblings?

#41 9 years ago

Played TWD on site with my 10 yr old son, no biggie. For what it's worth he thought it was a boring and went straight back to playing IM after one game.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

There is no F'ing way I would let me 5 year old watch the show or play this game. Any child in their right mind will be scared sh*tless. I would wait to expose a kid to this type of gore when the are old enough to understand the difference between fake and real. At 5, you can be sitting right in from of them, put on a gory mask, and they will be scared, even though they know it's you. they just aren't mature enough to understand.

I think you're vastly underestimating 5 year olds. They understand more than you think. Rudy on FH creeps out some kids and even some adults. If I had one and my 5 year old was getting creeped out, I would tear Rudy down completely and spread his parts across the kitchen table to show the child that Rudy is just a bunch of plastic and metal parts connected to a bunch of wires. Then I would put the game into sound test and make Rudy 'talk' even though his parts are spread all over the kitchen table, to show the child that dad is in charge, not Rudy.

Not saying TWD is fine for 5 year olds. Just saying that 5 year olds are smarter than you think. I know plenty of young kids who live in houses with 'scary' games that have no problem at all.

#43 9 years ago

not kid friendly, not puppy dogs and rainbows, would not want this pin in my garagecade with the kiddies around.

acdc, met, tron, st much better choices for good ol' family fun

episode-1-horse-walkers-760.jpgepisode-1-horse-walkers-760.jpg

#44 9 years ago

Pinsiders near the OP should say "yes buy TWD for the kids"

Same Pinsiders a week later can say "give you $5K for it"

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

dad is in charge, not Rudy.

But Rudy will still be watching you

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Played TWD on site with my 10 yr old son, no biggie. For what it's worth he thought it was a boring and went straight back to playing IM after one game.

Tell your son he rocks!!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Tell your son he rocks!!

I tell both my boys that every day.
They still give me grief about selling my IM over a year ago.

#48 9 years ago

The art on Walking Dead alone is the stuff of kid nightmares. At least you can censor the language on the rock pins. My 10 year old plays the Metallica in adult mode... The "He's f'd now" comment has played a few times, but only I've achieved the more mom-panic-attack inducing "jack-F'ing-pot!"

The kid knows its a bad word, giggles and knows not to repeat it.

#49 9 years ago

My eight year old loves the game. Kids like zombies just as much as adults so i would have no issue buying this game with kids in the house.

#50 9 years ago

my 10 year old is familiar with Zombies on Minecraft so realistic zombies don't really effect her anymore. She's not scared of them and pictures them like the Minecraft versions. Watched zombieland recently and she was entertained.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 26.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-walking-dead-kid-friendly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.