(Topic ID: 134716)

Is Walking Dead a love it or hate it game?

By Boatshoe

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is the Walking Dead a love it or hate it type game?”

• Yes, it is and I Love it. 76 votes
    58%
  • Yes, it is, and I Hate it! 21 votes
    16%
  • Meh, it's ok. I just don't have very strong feelings either way. 29 votes
    22%
  • I haven't played it, because I have no room and no money. 5 votes
    4%

(131 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 8 years ago

I just played Walking Dead Premium for the first time at ReplayFX. I didn't know what I was doing, but I did keep going back to it. I had the "just one more" feel. My only issue was the pop bumper drains, which could probably be fixed with angle, leveling, etc.

I check the top 100 here for reviews, and while the LE is #54, the Pro is not even in the top 100. I have no stake in this, I just thought the game was different, difficult and fun, and expected it to have a decent ranking.

Did people bail on this game before the new code? I don't get it. Thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Yeah, most of the ratings came before the last code, I just bought mine and had a few weeks and I still have not posted my rating yet. As of the last code the rating of TWD has risen 10 spots or so. Hopefully there will be some raters who go bad and reevaluate their rating after the completed code. I do not have pop bumper drain issues so that may be leveling but I think it is a great pin and a keeper in my collection

#3 8 years ago

It's much better then it's rated. Unfortunately it's one of those games that needs quite a few plays for people to start understanding the rules and get used to the odd shot layout. It also is a game that needs to be setup correctly to prevent a lot of the cheap drains and does not need to have a tight tilt. This kills it on most locations and you cannot save most of the magnet drains or pop drains with out tilting.

But to answer you question it is definately a love it or hate it game. I love it one game and then hate it for the next 10

Most people that initially killed the game have come around to it once played in a home environment so I think it will keep moving up the rankings. I consider it a top 20-30 game.

#4 8 years ago

I agree with others that have said you need to play a few games on it to warm up to it. I played an LE this weekend at Pinball Pete's in East Lansing and thought it was pretty fun. I couldn't hit a ramp or a shot really for the first two games but by the third game I started to and the game felt good. The new code seems to have really improved the game. My only gripe is with the prison toy on the LE and Premium. It seems like there has to be more going on inside the prison and its a bummer there is just a static bash toy there.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree with others that have said you need to play a few games on it to warm up to it. I played an LE this weekend at Pinball Pete's in East Lansing and thought it was pretty fun. I couldn't hit a ramp or a shot really for the first two games but by the third game I started to and the game felt good. The new code seems to have really improved the game. My only gripe is with the prison toy on the LE and Premium. It seems like there has to be more going on inside the prison and its a bummer there is just a static bash toy there.

I would have prefered it be a ball lock with a diverter on the riot shot behind the prison to lock balls. But I still think it's a solid toy. Doors that open, bash to reveal, pretty awesome flasher action. There's definately a ton of games out there that do not have a single toy better then it.

#6 8 years ago

It just takes too long to warm up to it for most. Pinball needs to grip you from the moment you plunge. You shouldn't have to know some deep ruleset to enjoy a pin. That being said I enjoy it but don't love it and would not own it. What kills it for me is the prison door opens and its just a huge head. Soooo silly and strange.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's much better then it's rated. Unfortunately it's one of those games that needs quite a few plays for people to start understanding the rules and get used to the odd shot layout. It also is a game that needs to be setup correctly to prevent a lot of the cheap drains and does not need to have a tight tilt. This kills it on most locations and you cannot save most of the magnet drains or pop drains with out tilting.
But to answer you question it is definately a love it or hate it game. I love it one game and then hate it for the next 10
Most people that initially killed the game have come around to it once played in a home environment so I think it will keep moving up the rankings. I consider it a top 20-30 game.

This post nailed it!

I'm one of the people who panned this game at first (based on a pro played on location).

I agree that it is a love it or hate it game. It's a very challenging pin and can be frustrating. Not only are the outlanes drain magnets, SDTM drains are always a possibility from hitting the prison or coming out of the pops. You have to be on your toes constantly with this pin...which is one of the things that makes it so addicting!

#8 8 years ago

I agree that the prison toy is a little weird.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This post nailed it!
I'm one of the people who panned this game at first (based on a pro played on location).
I agree that it is a love it or hate it game. It's a very challenging pin and can be frustrating. Not only are the outlanes drain magnets, SDTM drains are always a possibility from hitting the prison or coming out of the pops. You have to be on your toes constantly with this pin...which is one of the things that makes it so addicting!

I think you nailed it. It requires a level of skill that might turn off many. Lots of unfair moments. You have to work hard to keep the ball in play.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It also is a game that needs to be setup correctly to prevent a lot of the cheap drains and does not need to have a tight tilt. This kills it on most locations and you cannot save most of the magnet drains or pop drains with out tilting.

Agree with this 100%. Had to leave a note for the Pro I played on location. The tilt was ridiculously tight with no ability to nudge whatsover.

Quoted from Boatshoe:

I check the top 100 here for reviews, and while the LE is #54, the Pro is not even in the top 100.

I have played both the LE and Pro and don't see a huge difference in gameplay. I would purchase a Pro if I go down this road. More in my budget and won't lose sleep over lost features.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think you nailed it. It requires a level of skill that might turn off many. Lots of unfair moments. You have to work hard to keep the ball in play.

Which equates to trying to 'survive' in the game.

Between version 1.28 code from Stern and Milhouse/Clelands voice update, this game is almost where it needs to be to really jump the top 100 ratings shark. I'm a huge twd fan, but not enough to keep addictively playing a crappy pin. If this pin wasn't continuously awesome and fun, I would've sold it.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Agree with this 100%. Had to leave a note for the Pro I played on location. The tilt was ridiculously tight with no ability to nudge whatsover.

A tight tilt on TWD destroys the gameplay

#13 8 years ago

Twd is very addicting !! I love it !!!! all my other pins are collecting dust

#14 8 years ago

Loved it when I first got it in Oct 2014. Hated it when the code was stale and not much to do for 7 months after that. Since 1.24 code and Cleland voice update back in love and play it daily!

#15 8 years ago

I don't think this is a pin that everyone would unanimously enjoy if you played at an arcade or a buddy's house. It took me a month or so before I could really appreciate and understand the rules. But for me, I like pins that are deep or they never stick around in the lineup. Gameplay on some nights can be brutal and frustrating though. For me at least, it's play 10 games and one will be spectacular and the other nine would be terrible, so I love it and hate it in the same night!

#16 8 years ago

Love the LE, it's my current go to game and with the updated voice code it's even better.

#17 8 years ago

Where is the poll?

I like the game and I don't even watch the show.

#18 8 years ago

I think it is the weakest of Stern's magnet games. Consider MET and IM far better.

I like the premium/LE ok, but the pro with its lack of magnet in front of the well walker feels very poor to me.

That and the terribly generic implementation of the theme kills the game for me.

You can do worse than TWD, but you can do much better as well. Not a top100 game in my book

#19 8 years ago

Game has to be around for a few years before you can really rate it. Too many people buy into the hype machine and are blind to faults. Others simply do not have enough time to play on it. That and you have to wait for stern to finish with the code. No sense in jumping the shark for another year or two.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Game has to be around for a few years before you can really rate it. Too many people buy into the hype machine and are blind to faults. Others simply do not have enough time to play on it. That and you have to wait for stern to finish with the code. No sense in jumping the shark for another year or two.

Stern has been more proactive with code updates on certain titles including this one, so multi-year wait isn't needed.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Stern has been more proactive with code updates on certain titles including this one, so multi-year wait isn't needed.</blockquote

Is the game done? No one knows.

Does it take time for people to get over the hype of OMG OMG *Insert crappy license here* being made into a pinball machine? Yep.

#22 8 years ago

Just about. Wizard mode needs finishing, Lyman is already working on it since he owns this pin too.

Not sure I get your second point. Crappy license?

#23 8 years ago

I have 20+ machines in my collection with almost half newer Stern machines... TWD-LE gets the most play still in my gameroom.
It is truly one of the most addictive pins I have ever played.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I have 20+ machines in my collection with almost half newer Stern machines... TWD-LE gets the most play still in my gameroom.

I have a pro and felt the LE was an upgrade, but not significant. It's the LE that much better than the pro?

#25 8 years ago

I really like the pro, I've read some people complain of a lot of SDM drains though so set up might be a big factor on this one. The machine I played has decent ball times and didn't have any cheap feeling drains

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

As simple as that. I'm rarely giving my other pins any time these days.

#27 8 years ago

Love it, but won't buy it due to space.

#28 8 years ago

Love it to boots.

#29 8 years ago

Ha ha, all the good reviews in this thread are making my brain scream "I want it! I want it!"

#30 8 years ago

Couldnt wait to come home and play a few games!

If you like the Walking Dead Show, and a thumbs up to the game.
If you like killing zombies in a dark room after midnight add another two!

Damn Amazing game for me!

#31 8 years ago

I love mine so much i stuck my tongue in the coin change slot and it felt good lol !!! The other fun on twd is all the mods

#32 8 years ago

Love it. Just got one two days ago and can't stop playing it.
Ad a poll to this thread and let's see how people feel about this game at this time.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Couldnt wait to come home and play a few games!
If you like the Walking Dead Show, and a thumbs up to the game.
If you like killing zombies in a dark room after midnight add another two!
Damn Amazing game for me!

Does it give you a creepy dark feeling of zombies after you playing in the dark?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Does it give you a creepy dark feeling of zombies after you playing in the dark?

It does, it is such a rush!

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Not if I am killing them!

They bite me more, then I slaughter them...trying to get past 59.........

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

I love mine so much i stuck my tongue in the coin change slot and it felt good lol !!! The other fun on twd is all the mods

#37 8 years ago

I love this game but I consider myself a "good" player. It's fast, it's intense and it is a different feel from any other machine I have. My METLE has been sitting still since getting TWD pro. I have no issue with the pro and the game play. I purchased with the thought of keeping for a few months and then selling but now I am hooked. I have some awesome mods coming and every day I keep trying to kill more walkers. Fun fun fun. Can't wait for the next code update!

#38 8 years ago

I was a hater. Now I *really* like it. . .and it wasn't due to code updates. I just initially didn't like the shots because I have such a like for shots found in AFM and ST style games. The shots in TWD are not easy and it left me frustrated missing and draining compounded by SDTM magnet or pop-exit issues. I've come around now and appreciate the need for more precision and the new angles as well as being forced to become a better nudger to handle the dangers. The shots are so different than my comfort zone allows, but now my comfort zone is expanding and my ability to dial in my focus is sharpening. It's a perfect companion to some of the more popular games.

#39 8 years ago

I wasn't so wild about the game. But my experience was very early on. So it was before the new code, and before the voice replacement stuff was done. I knocked the game hard for not having voices from the show when it came out. It was also a cheap drainer, but I know that can be mitigated with leveling.

However, the game just doesn't suit my eye. I'm fine with the styles, but the layout of the shots and things doesn't feel good to me. So it's one of the games that I won't buy. There is an LE about an hour from me and a Pro about 10 minutes away.

And after saying all that, if it is a game you like, you should get one. If you were going back to it over and over it had the "it" factor for you. So get one and play the crap out of it.

#40 8 years ago

All that really matters is if you own it, you enjoy it. It's hard not to enjoy any pinball machine that's in your house and can be played to your heart's content.

#41 8 years ago

I loved it at first when I got a chance to play one on free play for 20 minutes. I then fed money into one on location and I hated it. Went back to the one on free play later and still didn't enjoy it like the first time. The well walker just gets in the damn way. Same reason I'm not a fan of X-Men.

#42 8 years ago

I love my TWD pro, and the newer code stern released awhile back made it even better!!!

#43 8 years ago

My first ever NIB and to be honest I felt let down for the first 6 months. However, the last two code revisions have totally changed the game. There's actually good reasons for the shots now.

It can be brutal but that's part of the fun. Great risk vs rewards from the drop targets.

Still not ecstatic that they fucked the TV licence up so much re calls etc but put that to one side and it's been my go to game for the last couple of months.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

The well walker just gets in the damn way. Same reason I'm not a fan of X-Men.

fatboy is not even half the size of wolverine, who is even closer to the flippers.

whats not to love about TWD. new code, cast voices/music, lotta stuff to hit. fun game... and tons of nice mods for it. and love the theme.

(edited)

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

fatboy is not even half the size of wolverine, who is even closer to the flippers.
whats not to love about TWD. new code incl. cast voices, lotta stuff to hit. fun game... and tons of nice mods for it. and love the
theme.

Cast voices? Did stern add new show call outs? I thought the call outs were added via pinside members and pinball browser?

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Cast voices? Did stern add new show call outs? I thought the call outs were added via pinside members and pinball browser?

sorry for confusion. yes callouts were via were members/ pinball browsers ... i probably worded that wrong.

#47 8 years ago

I don't think so. I played it only a few times after it came out and didn't care for it. My opinion on a variety of pins has changed a lot since then so I would like to give it another try. I still don't like the dark theme, gore, and simple colors. Whenever I see a TWD on location, there are usually other newer Stern's on location that are more inviting to play.

#48 8 years ago

TWD is easy in my stern top 3!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

The well walker just gets in the damn way. Same reason I'm not a fan of X-Men.

Totally disagree, nothing like Wolvie.

You have to use the Well Walker strategically in your placement of hits to get the drops with less risk which leads to Blood Bath.

Not even remotely close.

It's a hard game, with great risk/reward shots and requires more than 20 minutes to figure out what is going on and how to shoot the myriad of different shots and combos.

#50 8 years ago

I do agree X-Men is way worse, but for me it is a good comparison. 20 minutes was when I liked the game, but that was my initial go at it. Now I can put more time on it, but choose to play other pins because I'm constantly draining. Visually TWD is great and it is well lit. It just doesn't have the playfield design I prefer.

The funny thing is I felt the opposite with Mustang. I didn't enjoy it much the first time I could spend time on one. Now I'm thinking it could be my next pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 16.00
$ 8.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-walking-dead-a-love-it-or-hate-it-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.