(Topic ID: 26922)

Is TZ (Twilight Zone) a bad first choice for first & only pin?

By Jackontherocks

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TZ (Twilight Zone) a bad first choice for first & only pin?”

• Yes 47 votes
    27%
  • No 112 votes
    64%
  • Maybe 17 votes
    10%

(176 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AFM_.JPG
DSC07818.JPG
100_0010.JPG
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I know I still want a TZ someday but will the play wear on me if I like fast paced games?

My TZ plays pretty dang fast. It's all how you set it up. It blows the snot out of most TAF's I've played with how fast it is. I was thinking about adjusting the playfield and the flipper coils to kind of "reel it in", but I'm diggin' the fast TZ. I will agree that there is some stop and go(like when you get door panels awarded), but you kind of need it to plan out what you're going to go for next.

All I know is this: If I had bought a pin that wasn't one of my grail pins first, I would not be as happy as I am now. Oh, it'd satiate my appetite for pinball, but it wouldn't be the "flavor" I truly wanted. Therefore, I've effectively skipped a step in my pinball collecting. Now that I've got one of my grail pins, I can go get whatever I want that's NOT one of my grail pins(currently a WH20), and still be happy that no matter what, I'll always have my TZ.

Just my humble opinion......

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

My TZ plays pretty dang fast. It's all how you set it up. It blows the snot out of most TAF's I've played with how fast it is. I was thinking about adjusting the playfield and the flipper coils to kind of "reel it in", but I'm diggin' the fast TZ. I will agree that there is some stop and go(like when you get door panels awarded), but you kind of need it to plan out what you're going to go for next.
All I know is this: If I had bought a pin that wasn't one of my grail pins first, I would not be as happy as I am now. Oh, it'd satiate my appetite for pinball, but it wouldn't be the "flavor" I truly wanted. Therefore, I've effectively skipped a step in my pinball collecting. Now that I've got one of my grail pins, I can go get whatever I want that's NOT one of my grail pins(currently a WH20), and still be happy that no matter what, I'll always have my TZ.
Just my humble opinion......

Very well put. That is what I am debating about. My heart is set on a TFTC (a faster moving, much lower priced, and easy to maintain pin) but I have yet to find one in my state. Since it’s my first pin I probably would prefer to wait it out and find one locally. I still continue to learn the price range, condition, and search for one out of state as well if a situation comes up that I cannot pass up. In the meantime a TZ locally has come up so I am debating about it and then worry about getting a TFTC as I only really have room for two games. I am just worried because I know I will enjoy TZ but my search over the last few months has been for a TFTC.

#53 11 years ago

In the meantime a TZ locally has come up so I am debating about it and then worry about getting a TFTC as I only really have room for two games

So..... unless my math is wrong, TZ and TFTC are two games.

#54 11 years ago

Are the repairs out of control with this game because of everything it has in it?

#55 11 years ago

I don't think so. But it all depends on what you start with.

If it's your grail pin then get it. My first was my grail (pinball - women, not so much!).

#56 11 years ago

Are the repairs out of control with this game because of everything it has in it?

Just like any pin - depends on exactly how well it's gone through and how you treat it.

If you or someone else goes through it, updating parts that break often and fixing little issues, it shouldn't have much needed in the way of repairs. Get one held together just barely, and it's a nightmare... just like just about any other DMD era game.

#57 11 years ago

Not so much. Here are the specific issues that you can see with a Twilight Zone. I see several TZ's a month (based on a high population more than them being a high maintenance machine, as such I see more TAF's )

#1 issue is resets
#2 is the clock board
#3 GI connectors
#4 Leaking batteries destroys battery holder
#5 is trough board opto issues
#6 is the slot machine target and weldment
#7 is the proximity boards

Now #1 , #3 #4 #5 are the 4 problems in all of the other WPC and later games.

The biggest problematic game that I run into is STTNG. With the 2 cannons and 3 VUKs and their individual troughs with opto switches and the two under pf diverters and the drop target mech there are so many ways that the machine will fail in a way that makes the game unplayable

Reread my ad. None of these will be a problem. The game has been gone through and these items were repaired or replaced as preventative maintenance. I warranty my games and the last thing I want to do is to go out on warranty repair calls, so I make sure they work correctly before they leave.

#58 11 years ago

TZ is my first and only, I've had it for 2.5 weeks. Mine is in great shape, but it definitely came with some issues. I've had to replace a header on the power driver board, several bulbs were missing, and the hardest to track down, two switches were wired incorrectly with missing diodes. I'm willing to chalk most of that up to the cost of ownership, but the switches were frustrating since was due to someone else's ineptitude. Oh well, it was a good learning experience.

Gameplay wise, TZ is my grail, so I'm happy with it, but I know it won't be my only pin and I'll end up with something that plays faster before long.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Not so much. Here are the specific issues that you can see with a Twilight Zone. I see several TZ's a month (based on a high population more than them being a high maintenance machine, as such I see more TAF's )
#1 issue is resets#2 is the clock board#3 GI connectors#4 Leaking batteries destroys battery holder#5 is trough board opto issues#6 is the slot machine target and weldment#7 is the proximity boards
Now #1 , #3 #4 #5 are the 4 problems in all of the other WPC and later games.
The biggest problematic game that I run into is STTNG. With the 2 cannons and 3 VUKs and their individual troughs with opto switches and the two under pf diverters and the drop target mech there are so many ways that the machine will fail in a way that makes the game unplayable
Reread my ad. None of these will be a problem. The game has been gone through and these items were repaired or replaced as preventative maintenance. I warranty my games and the last thing I want to do is to go out on warranty repair calls, so I make sure they work correctly before they leave.

Thanks Kris. I just have to come and look at this game after this Oktoberfest weekend in Tempe which is always one of my favorite events. I always thought I wanted a TZ one day but wanted to start with a lower priced and less maintenance game like TFTC first that was on my wish list to own one day. I have room for one pin and two would be the max for sure. I thought these two would be a good choice and look extremely well together. You are my number one choice for finding my TFTC game and I plan on buying a game from you once the right choice comes up. I know you do great work and appreciate your help. I know patience is the key in this industry. I just might be convinced to get this TZ if I enjoy it as much as I remember.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from ralfonso:

TZ is my first and only, I've had it for 2.5 weeks. Mine is in great shape, but it definitely came with some issues.

Gameplay wise, TZ is my grail, so I'm happy with it, but I know it won't be my only pin....

Wow, sounds like we bought the same pin at the same time. I've had my TZ for 2.5 weeks as well and have fixed the trough sensor, the lock ramp bounce-out issue, a weird sound board/DMD animation issue, and am now facing a prior owner's hack job on the coin door. But, like you, it's one of my grail pins, so I love it. My TZ plays very fast. So fast in fact that I've had some slot machine air balls fly from the target and hit the left wall, falling into the outlane, WITHOUT hitting the glass! The game's got some power!

2 weeks later
#61 11 years ago

So I found a local bar yesterday that had TZ on location to try and help me determine if this game is worth the money to keep me entertained for one game. The setting of little bar was $2 beers, 2 pool tables and hamburgers. The game setting was set for 5 balls, few lights out on the machine, left flipper activates a little randomly at times but could still take full control of it for the most part during game play, tilt was active but not as loose as I would prefer, little dirty and need of cleaning. All in all I had fun with the game and all of the shots. It played faster than I remember and despite not having the left/right combo 2 ramps like most of Steve Ritchie games it is still quite fun. I consider myself a pretty average player and noticed that if you miss some shots on this game it could drain you down the out lanes or middle real quick. I would say having the 5 balls probably made it more enjoyable and also the reply setting was nice to achieve. Actually depending on your score you could get two replays in one game which was different or I have not come across before. I played off 4 dollars for 4 hours. I did not get LITZ but came close. I could see myself playing this game until I achieve it for sure. I like the loudness of this game when the volume is set to high for the rewards you get on completing goals. All in all I don’t think there is any one game that can truly keep your attention for entire life and variety is the key. Going after the same shots again and again seemed to get repetitive and seeing the same DMD displays or hearing the same saying again and again. I wanted to walk away thinking that I truly wanted to spend the estimated $5k to have one game but came up with a 55/45 split. Maybe I should reconsider two games for that amount to get a variety. We all know one would be TFTC but not sure of the other one. For some reason as much as TZ has in it I think there are other games that you just have more fun playing at times. Then again who knows maybe I just will get the TZ and have fun with it on my own settings (no tilt) etc. in my own house. Oh well another day or month to decide and figure it out I guess. I know if I could have a big collection yes this game would be in there with many others. I think the hardest part is finding one or two games that work out for the correct fit.

#62 11 years ago

if you like tz, then get one... i got 21 machines in my lineup and its not one of them.

#63 11 years ago

Honest first impression. Are you choosing theme first and them gameplay? If you can take The Simpsons, play TSPP. I found it similar enought to TZ, but the shots are more rewarding. Actually a little more flow than the scoop stops of TZ.

#64 11 years ago

I have never heard anyone say TFTC is not fast, hard to believe and curious why you thought based on your past experiences.

tftc is pretty fast if you pitch it well, rebuild the flippers, make the slings sensitive as they should be, and wax the playfield. Tz is a pretty stop and go experience. I own Tz and a lot of my friends hate it. Have you played ripleys? Similar theme, same designer as Tz, a bit cheaper, and pretty fast moving with a lot of flow.

If your heart is set on a Tz then get one. You can always sell it later. Tz + TFTC is a decent combo for some variety.

#65 11 years ago

If you're stuck in the middle on one of the most polorizing games , that would be a sure sign to me that this games not for you .

1 week later
#66 11 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

Honest first impression. Are you choosing theme first and them gameplay? If you can take The Simpsons, play TSPP. I found it similar enought to TZ, but the shots are more rewarding. Actually a little more flow than the scoop stops of TZ.

I am looking at the games I use to play which led me to wanting to own one. Since I can't have a big collection at this point in time I use both theme & game play which are extremely important if I am to only own one. I actually dislike TSPP entirely but see a lot of people are into it. For example out of the new Stern games I have played I enjoy Elvis, SM, LOTR but not the theme to own as my only game. I enjoy a lot of original themes as well. I wish I could like a newer Stern game but feel they don’t even come close to the 90's era pins. In the end I think what I enjoy the most out of pinball are the faster paced games with great ramps you can hit continuously but also challenging. I know that is the best of both worlds. I just find it hard to spend 5K plus on some of the older pins I truly enjoy and see some newer pins go for the same price which I don’t enjoy. I really don’t think there has been a big sufficient jump for what the new games being made have to offer.
Still searching and deciding on one. I am starting to think I would have fun with GNR as a wide body game because of the great left and right ramps (which I enjoy the most out of games) more than TZ. I know of the GNR problem with getting too many balls in the shooter and not being able to fire out during multiball which might be an issue. Oh well I guess we will wait and see. I may not want to necessary have two DE games if I did that with TFTC as my next choice. I think in the end I have to like the theme but have fun and enjoy the playfield layout of the game for flow and pace. I would prefer to have a TFTC first because I think I would enjoy it more as a first and only game and then a TZ to follow for a different type of feel to game. I don’t need to go overboard on a game I may not get the most out of to play as often as I want to. Of course this post is based on my recent one above from when I played a TZ recently.

#67 11 years ago

I think I understand where you're actually coming from now. I've always wanted a TAF. I've been casually looking for the past 3 years. When I say "casually", I mean checking CL every month or so at best and seeing only TAF's that were really nice and/or restored going for wayyyy more than I wanted to spend. Last year, I decided to really get into looking for one hardcore. I searched CL every day statewide, had it as a saved search on eBay, searched online classifieds, everything on an almost daily basis.

Then I found Pinside. I lurked for a while just gaining knowledge upon knowledge upon knowledge. Things to look for, errors and how to fix them, known trouble spots with TAF's; you name it, I either knew about it already, or had at least heard the terminology before. Then, hoping to find one for sale, I went to Pin-A-Go-Go in Dixon in May. My first pinball show. There was only one there, but it was a nice one! It wasn't for sale, but I talked to the owner for a while and even he commented on how much I knew for someone who had never owned a TAF, let alone a pin. Thank you Pinside!

While I was there, I played many, many other pins. I was able to relive a lot of memories with a lot of pins I hadn't played in at least 20 years. It was awesome to get reacquainted some old friends, if you know what I mean. I even got to play a Kingpin! The one pin I had almost completely forgotten about was TZ. I played one of the three that were there and it was amazing how the sounds and actions woke up places in my brain that were long dormant. I remembered fondly how much I used to play and love TZ. Same thing happened with FH, too. After PAGG, I decided to expand my list of grail pins to three: TAF, TZ, and FH. I figured, first and foremost, I want a TAF. Then, I'd get a FH because they're cheaper than a TZ, then later on, because of the price, I'd get a TZ, and a really super nice one, too. It made sense to me to do it in that order because of my level of fandom for them and for financial reasons. Fast forward to a month and half ago.....

I see an ad on my LOCAL craigslist for a TZ for sale at an almost unheard of price in California. After much calling and playing phone tag(and much anguish over whether or not I might have JUST missed out on a superb deal by mere minutes), I was able to secure a time to see it and subsequently bought it. I could not be happier with my purchase(well, I COULD if it were cheaper, wink wink) and I'm glad I got the most expensive one out of the way for a price less than what my first choice normally sells for.

Moral of the story:

Always look for all the pins you want, all the time. You never know when one will show up at a great(or even crazy cheap) price right in you own back yard(my TZ was two blocks from where I work, in the same industrial complex!). Don't be afraid to abandon your "plans" when a great deal comes along. You may regret it later....

Hope this helps!

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Wow, sounds like we bought the same pin at the same time. I've had my TZ for 2.5 weeks as well and have fixed the trough sensor, the lock ramp bounce-out issue, a weird sound board/DMD animation issue, and am now facing a prior owner's hack job on the coin door. But, like you, it's one of my grail pins, so I love it. My TZ plays very fast. So fast in fact that I've had some slot machine air balls fly from the target and hit the left wall, falling into the outlane, WITHOUT hitting the glass! The game's got some power!

Maybe someone put too high of flipper coils in there, because I never had a problem with airballs on mine.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Maybe someone put too high of flipper coils in there, because I never had a problem with airballs on mine.

Nah, it's just the slot target that's bent back a little bit. It's a common TZ thing. It's how most TZ's end up with broken "Magna Flip" sign plastics. When I get the new target set, the slot and clock targets will be the new reinforced versions.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

... Whatever you choose, you'll probably end up getting rid of it eventually. I'd get something that's easy to move/trade...

This is how I feel. Of course I try to buy games that I think I will love and keep forever but over the past 12 years of doing this, the longest I've kept a game is five years (small collection of 3-4 games at a time). Like Wes said, buy games at a decent price and if you don't like one after a while then sell it and move on. It's pretty easy to sell games especially if they are the more popular titles.

Don't think too hard or you'll never buy a game.

#71 11 years ago

yea, that was one of the first mods I had to do when I bought mine. That and have the scoop rewelded due to the target letting the ball hit the edge.

1 week later
#72 11 years ago

TZ is my first and only pin. Well worth the trouble, learned a lot about repairing pinballs! Had the driver board reboot issue, various sensors and switches going bad, a flasher stuck on and melted a plastic, plus some mods. It will keep you busy, and there will always be something to fix, adjust, add, enhance, etc......

Great pin to have as a first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,059.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 79.50
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-tz-twilight-zone-a-bad-first-choice-for-first-only-pin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.