(Topic ID: 26922)

Is TZ (Twilight Zone) a bad first choice for first & only pin?

By Jackontherocks

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by WileECoyote
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TZ (Twilight Zone) a bad first choice for first & only pin?”

• Yes 47 votes
    27%
  • No 112 votes
    64%
  • Maybe 17 votes
    10%

(176 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AFM_.JPG
DSC07818.JPG
100_0010.JPG

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I am curious to everyone's thoughts. I remember playing this game when I first got into pinball. I like the show which always helps in my pin preference as well. I feel no matter how big or small of a collection you have that you must at least get this game somewhere down the road. But is it a bad first choice for first and only pin? I know there are a lot of moving pieces but most can be fixed if you have a good local vendor. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

no but one pin is generaly not enough...

It was said before...3-5 months and you will be wanting variety....

you are better off having 2-3 titles, unless you have the ability to save enough money in that 3-5 months to bring in another pin, to add to the TZ

#3 7 years ago

I think there are much better pins out there for less money. Plus it's not a good pin for beginners, so if you have non-pinhead family or guests over it won't be as well-received as say, an HS2 or something.

#4 7 years ago

I had it as my first pin 4 years ago. I went a whole year without getting another. Nobody much liked playing it other than me, as Gone Fishin' noted above, but that didn't bother me too much, LOL.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I think there are much better pins out there for less money.

+1 . Although if money is no concern there is also a bunch of pins in that price range that are also much better.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

+1 . Although if money is no concern there is also a bunch of pins in that price range that are also much better.

Any better than TZ for the same price in your opinion? My plan is to get a TFTC and TZ. That is my one/two punch. The kicker is I have been coming across TZ for sale in my area and still waiting on a TFTC.

The longer I wait I want two as well but really have room for one. I have my hopes of finding a TFTC locally and always wanted a TZ as well. I thought those two games would always look good together. The problem is I am worried about the upkeep on TZ because it has so many moving parts and might not be the best first pin. I have seen the TZ go from $4,500 to $5,500 fixed up nice in my area. Not sure if it is best to jump on this game first and wait for my $2k to $3k TFTC. I know patience is the key. I have been trying to determine any other games I would want as my max is two and based on prices listed above. I scroll through the top 100 list but still can’t get off my two choices above as far as getting the best value for the price. Since it's my first purchase I think its best I find them in state rather than out of state unless it's something you can pass up. My plan is to keep both of these games for life once I get them so getting one in great condition is key especially since I can only have 1 or 2.

#7 7 years ago

This was my first pin 7 years ago. Granted I ended up with pin #2 about six months down the line, it didn't have anything to do with Twilight Zone getting old. I always thought of it as the perfect first game because once you've learned all there is to know, you're ready for any machine next. My mom and 9 year old niece even had the rules down when it was the one and only pin.

#8 7 years ago

really bad choice for a first pin imo. game gets major hype. it's like driving an old caddy. big and clunky.

it's more of an advanced pin. i don't think it's a beginners pin at all. most people tend to walk away quick and dissapointed. you have to be a patient person to appreciate it.

#9 7 years ago

TZ was my first pin. As soon as I got it, I completely disassembled the playfield and shopped it out. First time at that too. So I completely appreciated it after finally getting it back together. I absolutely loved that game. Me and girlfriend (wife now) played it all the time. I wish I had never gotten rid of it. It was fine as the only pin to have. Couldn't afford another one anyways at the time.

#10 7 years ago

I could not live with it as my only pin.

I'd want something more fast and fun, so when friend come over they could play too.

#11 7 years ago

If you've found a good deal then jump on it. $5500 is not a good deal IMO.

Personally I'd rather have a couple of $2000 to $2500 pins instead of one TZ. There are a lot of good ones... FT, TS, WPT, BSD, etc.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

really bad choice for a first pin imo. game gets major hype. it's like driving an old caddy. big and clunky.
it's more of an advanced pin. i don't think it's a beginners pin at all. most people tend to walk away quick and dissapointed. you have to be a patient person to appreciate it.

I know it's an advanced pin. I am not really looking for a beginners pin but a fast paced game for sure with DMD in the 90’s area. That is probably why I have picked TFTC as my first choice and price range. I think because of the fact that I like both TV shows so much on these games I am drawn to them as well. I just love the sayings on TZ as it brings back a lot of memories. As far as the game play I know it’s a challenge and not necessary a fast pin like TFTC would be. I have found one locally to play at Turf Paradise horse track and sometimes the game destroys me.

#13 7 years ago

TZ is an excellent pin. However it's quite difficult and not everyone likes it.
If you're a good pinball player that wants a challenge then get it. you'll love it for years and as your only pin it'll keep you entertained. It's one of the better choices for people that can only have one pin.
However if you're now to pinball it may be too hard or take a long time before it grows on you.. so for beginners I would not advise it.

#14 7 years ago

Neither TZ nor TFTC are fast. I've owned both and sent both down the road. Both were cool for the first month, then meh. TFTC is more fun than TZ though.

#15 7 years ago

My brother's brother in law wanted a pin about a year ago, and it HAD to be a TZ, since that is what he remembered playing when he was younger.

One year later, and he still has it, still plays it all the time. Has no plans to get anymore. From what I understand it is pretty popular with his GF and friends.

I would say that if you want a TZ as your only pin, then get one. Nobody here can tell you what is right or wrong for you, only you can decide!

#16 7 years ago

7 years ago they were much more reasonbly priced . I understand that everything has went up by alot in seven years but I personally don't think TZ is worth the money its going for these days . TZ is almost 20 years old now . you could get a pin that is nearly new for the same price , and yes I think there is quite a few new sterns that are much better than TZ . Ironman , Batman Dark Knight, Family Guy , Spiderman (red) , AC/DC pro . all could be had within this price range . If you wanted to get something older WMS/Bally dmd, Star Trek next generation is a much better game and costs a few thousand less. If horror theme is what you want scared stiff is a better game and also cheaper . I guess I personally couldn't justify spending $4,500 - $5,500 , when there is soo much more out there at better prices . Now this is only my opinion , But it is wahat you were asking for . Also the top 100 list is based on opinions also Of other people Maybe you should make your own top 100 list and if TZ is at the top of that then its an easy choice for you that should definently be the one game you should own . I've got my own top 100 list and TZ doesn't even make the list.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I could not live with it as my only pin.
I'd want something more fast and fun, so when friend come over they could play too.

That is one reason (wanting something more fast and with great ramps) I worry about as well.

#18 7 years ago

Neither TZ nor TFTC are fast. I've owned both and sent both down the road. Both were cool for the first month, then meh. TFTC is more fun than TZ though.

I have never heard anyone say TFTC is not fast, hard to believe and curious why you thought based on your past experiences.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

7 years ago they were much more reasonbly priced . I understand that everything has went up by alot in seven years but I personally don't think TZ is worth the money its going for these days . TZ is almost 20 years old now . you could get a pin that is nearly new for the same price , and yes I think there is quite a few new sterns that are much better than TZ . Ironman , Batman Dark Knight, Family Guy , spiderman (red) , AC/DC pro . all could be had within this price range . If you wanted to get something older WMS/Bally dmd, Star Trek next generation is a much better game and costs a few thousand less. If horror theme is what you want Scared Stiff is a better game and also cheaper . I guess I personally couldn't justify spending $4,500 - $5,500 , when there is soo much more out there at better prices . Now this is only my opinion , But it is wahat you were asking for . Also the top 100 list is based on opinions also Of other people Maybe you should make your own top 100 list and if TZ is at the top of that then its an easy choice for you that should definently be the one game you should own . I've got my own top 100 list and TZ doesn't even make the list.

Yes and thanks. This is what I am looking for to help me reason out my decision and appreciate on this website especially with so many others who have owned multiple pins.

#20 7 years ago

If you've found a good deal then jump on it. $5500 is not a good deal IMO.
Personally I'd rather have a couple of $2000 to $2500 pins instead of one TZ. There are a lot of good ones... FT, TS, WPT, BSD, etc.

I also have seen one for a home user but without the upgrades for the higher priced one at $4,899.

Here is what the description is for the TZ going for $5,500. Just curious if this helps justify the price based on past owner, etc. Works 100%, playfield, cabinet, and backglass all in fantastic shape. Shopped with new rubber rings and balls. LED’s installed. New flippers bats, flippers rebuilt, new pop bumper caps, no broken plastics, no cabinet fade, new legs, new pinballs, new clockboard, driver board is rebuilt.

This is a professionally refurbished 1993 Bally Twilight Zone Pinball machine with 30 day warranty.

Machine is in Excellent condition and has not seen a lot of plays. The playfield is original and has no wear, or insert damage or any signs of aging. It has been polished with a 3 stage polishing kit.
The cabinet has no fade on the sides, has not been drilled for lock down bars. There is a scratch on the left side of the head that has been touched up and clearcoated. The sides and front of the cabinet are in fantastic shape. There is some wrinkling under the legs.
There are no broken plastics in the game, The ramp entrances are unbroken.
All electronics and mechanicals function correctly. No credit dot. Game is set for free play
This machine has been completely shopped. The entire top of the playfield was stripped of all parts and everything was cleaned before reassembly. Much of the bottom was also disassembled for cleaning including the subway ramps. Slot machine target is the reinforced on, slot machine weldment is solid with no broken welds.
All circuit boards were inspected and no faults were found.

The game has the following new parts
new pinballs
new rubber rings
new pop bumper caps
new flipper bats
new flipper buttons
new legs, leg bolts, levellers and corner protectors.
new playfield glass
new 9.4 Home revision eprom (includes an option to pause the game!!)
new batteries
new shooter rod and spring
new rottendog clock board
new glass gumballs inside gumball machine
new custom apron free play and instruction cards
new power cord

All lamps in the game have been replaced with LED's including the GI lights and flashers. Color changing bulb used in the doorknob

Display high voltage section and 5V reset section have been rebuilt as a preventative measure to ensure long term reliability.

Delivery Available

#21 7 years ago

TZ is a great choice for your first pin. I like challenges, so when I got TSPP as my first pin, I was amped up.

#22 7 years ago

for the price range (low-mid 5k) you're much better off buying a tron, or im, or maybe sm. just my 2 cents.

#23 7 years ago

TZ was the 2nd pin I bought in 1997, then $1,700. My only other pin at the time, Earthshaker I had bought in 1993. I remember wanting a game with deep rules, and focused in on getting a TZ. The ES and TZ held me over for another couple years.

TZ would be in my all time top 5. It would make a great only pin, but any "only pin" is a gateway pin leading to an inevitable much bigger collection weather you have room for them all or not.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

This is a professionally refurbished 1994 Bally Twilight Zone Pinball machine ...

Must be a different pin than the one I was thinking of if it was made in 1994 ...

It was my first and only pin for the first six months I was in the hobby. You can never go wrong with TZ.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

for the price range (low-mid 5k) you're much better off buying a tron, or im, or maybe sm. just my 2 cents.

Thanks Tommi, I always appreciate your comments. So is $5,000 a good price based on comments above tha thave been doen to the game?

I really do enjoy Spiderman and believe it's one of Stern's very best. I just am not a SM fan if I have to own one game. If I had room for many games this is a must have. Never played Tron yet but not impressed with Avatar. Keep your eyes open if you do come across a TFTC in AZ for me. What are your thoughts on that game?

#26 7 years ago

5k is a good price for a tz in that condition. it's seems to be the going rate. as you can see from phx cl, they sit for a long time. i like tz, but only if it's a large collection. i still play mine a couple times a week. no one else seems to like it. it's intimidating. short balls times, hard to control, and it's a drain monster. every once in a while you'll have a rewarding game. I have far greater respect for tz since woz came out. i still take tz anyday. grown to like it more.

i don't like anything about tftc crypt besides the theme. it's a terrible pin imo. i know other guys love it and i respect that, but i just can't find anything to like about it. everyone's got different tastes in machines. as far as horror themes, the only ones i recommend are ss, bsd, and taf in that order.

if i could do it all over again, and if it was my first pin, i'd buy nib tron since they are doing another run. can't go wrong with tron.

#27 7 years ago

You only have room for one pinball machine at this time as you stated. TZ is a classic and it does not seen to be getting any cheaper. From a collection stand point I think you should put your faith in all the excellent reviews TZ has recieved. I have had mine since 1998. The gameplay and the music are Excellent. Buy it. It is very fun and collectible.

100_0010.JPG

#28 7 years ago

Absolutely a great choice with one word of warning. TZ was my first DMD pinball over 10 years ago. I then went through 50 other pinballs, in subsequent years, trying to find one I like as much. So be warned....you can never have one. You will want another. And it's tough to beat TZ. One of the absolute best pins ever.

Cheers,
Duane

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Must be a different pin than the one I was thinking of if it was made in 1994 ...
It was my first and only pin for the first six months I was in the hobby. You can never go wrong with TZ.

Thanks, the way the game was listed it said 1994 so it must be a error by the seller.

#30 7 years ago

Get it and if you don't enjoy it- sell it. Mine is not going anywhere anytime soon.

DSC07818.JPG

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Get it and if you don't enjoy it- sell it. Mine is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Holy smokes....did you miss any mods on that TZ

#32 7 years ago

If you know that it is what YOU like, then it isn't a bad choice. If you aren't sure, it sure seems like a high priced game for the first one, especially as TZ is generally a polarizing game for a lot of people. A lot of people LOVE it, and a bunch of people HATE it.

I'm personally in the HATE camp. Got one a while ago hoping to find the magic in it, and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Wish I held onto it a bit more actually, would've made some money on the sale, as they have rocketed up in price lately.

#33 7 years ago

TZ was my first DMD...and it will never leave. I love the game too much.

It's also my test bed for WPC boards. If a WPC power/driver board doesn't reset in TZ, it's not going to.

I've LITZ'd three times in the last year while testing boards in the game. I never get there when I just step up to play but last night I was testing a board and LITZ'd again.

Great gae.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#34 7 years ago

I started with an IJ (the ONLY pin I'd ever own, ha!), then later added a Space Shuttle and TSPP. I still have the Space Shuttle, the IJ and TSPP are long gone. Whatever you choose, you'll probably end up getting rid of it eventually. I'd get something that's easy to move/trade. TZ sits around a long time these days for some reason, maybe not as many people familiar with the theme.

For that price, I'd look for a NIB Ironman (they are rare, but they are out there) or AC/DC Pro, both rocking awesome games. OR, I'd be on CL like a hawk and pick up a good deal on a cheapy b-list B/WMS title (HS2, NF, etc)

-Wes

#35 7 years ago

I bought mine 13 years ago, when I only had room for one pin. After a few years of playing it multiple times a week, I went through a dry spell of about 7 years when I only played about once a month or so, and I even considered selling it a couple times. About three years ago, I got back into pinball, and I'm glad I kept the TZ.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Wish I held onto it a bit more actually, would've made some money on the sale, as they have rocketed up in price lately.

I hear you. Mine was minty fresh. Bought it a year ago for $4200, sold 6 mos ago for $4500 and it sounds like I could have gotten $5k easy now. The hype machine is really driving the price of this game up. I don't really hate TZ. I just don't think it deserves to be priced where it's at, nor do I feel it belongs in the top 10. Makes no sense to me when you can buy brand new pins (like TFLE) for the same price.

To the OP, the TFTC gravestone shot just seems clunky to me. I guess you could consider it fast compared with TZ, but there are far faster games from that era (HS2, JM, T2 etc).

#37 7 years ago

TZ is my first and only pin and I wouldn't change a thing about it. The drains are maddening but getting lost in the zone it’s a very satisfying moment. It’s rated high and deserves to be…

#38 7 years ago

Mine was minty fresh. Bought it a year ago for $4200, sold 6 mos ago for $4500 and it sounds like I could have gotten $5k easy now.

Mine was unshopped (although clean) when I bought it, and unshopped when I sold it because i was lazy. I originally planned on using it in Clock Chaos at the MGC since I based the whole Clock Chaos idea off that game and it's Clock Chaos quotes, but alas I just couldn't get in it enough to justify keeping it.

It had just a few really small issues, but was purchased by me from someone who while undocumented, I bet was the original owner. The game looked like it had almost no plays on it, and even had little dimples in a bunch of the playfield to show how little it was played. The Power Ball was still bright white, unlike the color you get from ones that are in the field where they are silver.

I sold it 11 months ago for far less than what you paid for yours. I also know that if I shopped it, I could have easily gotten $5k+ for it now. Ah well, if I kept it I wouldn't have had room to get WCS, and I like that *personally* way more as a game.

#39 7 years ago

Mine had been restored with new cab decals and all the trim powdercoated black. It looked really sharp! I used it to fund my TSPP purchase, and since TSPP has also gone up $400-$500 since I bought it I guess I didn't really lose anything. I also like happen to like TSPP a lot more. It's like a deeper, funnier TZ. Been a fan of The Simpsons since the Tracy Ullmann days.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I am curious to everyone's thoughts. I remember playing this game when I first got into pinball. I like the show which always helps in my pin preference as well. I feel no matter how big or small of a collection you have that you must at least get this game somewhere down the road. But is it a bad first choice for first and only pin? I know there are a lot of moving pieces but most can be fixed if you have a good local vendor. Thanks.

If you are relying on a "good local vendor" for repairs, TZ may not be a good first game as it is one of the most time-consuming pins to keep in good working order. I would also recommend buying from a collector rather than a retail vendor as collectors generally go over the machines much better than guys doing it for a profit, and sell them for more reasonable prices usually.

For that price, you could pick up a new-in-box game that will likely be virtually worry-free for years to come.

#41 7 years ago

I voted Maybe !!! I Owned Over 80 Pins B-4 I scored my 1st TZ .. You Kinda have to Work and Earn yr Way up to the Best Pin Ever made .. ( It's a Give-n ) I had to !! Now i've Owned 3 ..

TZ is a Killerr Pin ..

AFM_.JPG

#42 7 years ago

If that TZ is from Kris at Firebird it is worth every penny of the price. He has done weeks of work to it I'm sure.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Agree completely. TZ is a great pin. No doubt about it. Still, if you ever expect others play the game and have fun, this ain't it. I have had both LOTR and TSPP side by side and while they are as deep as pinball gets, they were far more approachable than TZ. TZ is just a beast of a game. You may come to like it or even love it, but when things start to break (frequently) and people other than yourself avoid it, it loses its charm. For me, it is the perfect third pin. Get yourself a game that is approachable by all, yet is challenging enough to hold its own.

My choices would be AFM, SM, LOTR (maybe).

#44 7 years ago

Get one.
It sounds like you know what you want, and no one here can make that decision for you.
Everyone starts somewhere, and this pin is really no more complicated that most other DMD games.

You won't regret it
(UNLESS you pick up a hacked one that you chase your tail in circles trying to fix).

#45 7 years ago

great game, if you have only 1 or 2 games, you want one that is challenging . I disagree about non pinheads not wanting to play it. It still gets plenty of play from casual players at my house and it does not have short ball times. But as always, good idea to play a game plenty before you buy it for your collection. keeper in my opinion.

#46 7 years ago

TZ was my first pin, I still own it to this day. Learned about the clock board real quick and everything else about fixing and repairing pinball. Was a great first pin, because if you learn how to fix that one, you can fix pretty much all DMD's. Early SS is a whole new ball game and EM's are something totally different. You can't go wrong with TZ. It's pretty much a near flawless pinball machine. Toys, design and rules are fantastic.

#47 7 years ago

I bought mine off route from a bar in Mesa in '97 and it was our only pin until about two years ago. It is still our favorite pin and gets by far the most play of the 7 that we currently have. My daughter who is now approaching 21 informed me that it is the one pin that we must never sell. The depth of the game keeps me coming back again and again - yet it is also fun for guests who don't know anything about pinball.

#48 7 years ago

Thankfully, I'm merely echoing more than a few here.

TZ is my first and only pin(so far). I, too, was a huge fan of the game when it first came out, so I knew what I was getting into when I decided to start looking for one to buy. I enjoy the complexity of all the stuff on the playfield for when it comes time to start taking it apart and restoring it. Thankfully my playfield is in stellar shape so I'll just be removing the mylar and clearcoating it, when it's time.

While I do like how my brother and his kids like playing it and do enjoy it, I bought it for my OWN enjoyment(sorry for sounding selfish!) and I couldn't be happier, not only with the pin itself, but what I paid for it. Now that I've got it, I really want to take care of it, too.

My advice is, if it's a pin you truly, truly enjoy(and it's one of your "grail" pins), you won't have any regrets buying it as a first pin.

I don't.

#49 7 years ago

As much as I remember liking this challenging different kind of wide body game I think that if I pick one up as my first and only pin I am going to miss the fast pace action and movement of the balls like other pins (whether it have two, three or more flippers, more ramps, or if it were a normal width game) or other wide body pins which seem to have or feel when I play them. For example to me GNR and DM just to name a few seem to feel as a faster pace to the game for wide body pins. To me TZ feels more like IJ and STTNG as far as a challenging game but with slower ball movement. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy these wide body games but maybe in the end I truly enjoy faster paced normally sized challenging games like TAF, AFM, LOTR, SM, MB, MM, etc. I know I still want a TZ someday but will the play wear on me if I like fast paced games?

#50 7 years ago

TZ if you like STOP & GO
SM if you like FLOW
MB if you like to BASH
MM if you have the CASH
AFM if you like to BATTLE
TAF if you like to flipper PADDLE

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
New Hartford, CT
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside