(Topic ID: 108329)

Is TWD LE really worth the $3000 price increase over the Pro?

By violinfather

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TWD LE worth the $3000 cost over the Pro version”

• Yes 44 votes
    31%
  • No 45 votes
    31%
  • Never in a million years 55 votes
    38%

(144 votes)

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You are correct but for me STLE has such great armor and the chase lights plus I love the backglass and RGB inserts, that's worth it for me but yes TWDLE has a good amount of extra options, if they had included a shaker and the topper then fully justified. Oh man I'm getting really excited that its coming soon.

I think it should have the shaker motor. But if stern never released the topper as an extra add on. No one would say anything

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Not easy for us in Canada to acquire these type of machines, it is all about supply and there are not many of these available in Canada for resale, in most cases you are better to buy NIB...
$6500 USD for a HUO, equals $7400 CDN
+ 500 Shipping
+ 400 Taxes
Equals exactly what I paid all taxes in for my NIB... So you are really not getting a deal on a HUO if you live in Canada... And it is worse if you live in a province where they have provincial tax.

Let me tell you, you got an excellent deal on yours if you got it for that price. Mine and pretty much everyone in Ontario's would have cost them $9200 all taxes in. I don't think very many people bought STLE up here that's why you don't see them for sale as often. Can't really compare a country with 30 million people to a country with 300 million people and expect the demographics to be the same. But yes I was directly referring to the States when I listed those good deals. Everything is an arm and a leg up here.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Not easy for us in Canada to acquire these type of machines, it is all about supply and there are not many of these available in Canada for resale, in most cases you are better to buy NIB...
$6500 USD for a HUO, equals $7400 CDN
+ 500 Shipping
+ 400 Taxes
Equals exactly what I paid all taxes in for my NIB... So you are really not getting a deal on a HUO if you live in Canada... And it is worse if you live in a province where they have provincial tax.

Wow, that blows, at least you have free health care!

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Isn't it fair to say STLE has more bells & whistles then TWDLE?

Yes it has pretty lights on the outside which have nothing to do with the gameplay. But if you are looking for modern art STLE rocks.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Not happy about it having "less" than a STLE, but wanted all the extras so what do I do? Stern has us.
For now.
Edit: by "less" I mean lighted siderails, lighted head sides, every damn insert color changing, etc.....

If anything TWD LE has "more" where it "matters", the game play. I mean these things are still Amusement machines right? We are suppose to play them right? So I would want the extras on the playfield not the outside so it looks pretty while I'm walking up to it. I do agree STLE makes a beautiful modern art piece.

#56 9 years ago

Talked to Nitro Amusements in Mission City, British Columbia and they have the LE in stock. Anyone have one in their collection yet? If so what is your initial opinion?

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Yes it has pretty lights on the outside which have nothing to do with the gameplay. But if you are looking for modern art STLE rocks.

I think the game play on the ST is as good as it gets. I can't imagine what they can add to the either the pro or le to make the game play better. The metal ramps, toys, and crazy like show I would have paid extra for got into this hobby 12 months earlier

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballophobe:

I think the game play on the ST is as good as it gets. I can't imagine what they can add to the either the pro or le to make the game play better. The metal ramps, toys, and crazy like show I would have paid extra for got into this hobby 12 months earlier

What toys? There are no extra toys on the LE, just lights.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

What toys? There are no extra toys on the LE, just lights.

I should say cosmetics. Like the asteroids and the ship.

#60 9 years ago

I should say cosmetics. Like the asteroids and the ship.

TWD LE has more stuff packed in there than STLE. Running lights and a lighted head, not interested.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

If they don't offer a Premium version TWD, it will signal the game is a dud, and you can watch for LE's on close-out at the distributors.

No. Stern is going away from the premium version to offer a Pro or, for a limited run, an LE.

Tron was no dud, and it had no premium version. Ever.

Game plan is Pro sells, Premium possibly as a vault title, maybe, LE limited run.

No middle option provides higher collector perceived value of other two models.

#62 9 years ago

Let me know when you guys reach a final verdict on the topic question.

Maybe OP could add a poll? (Even though its completely subjective to personal opinion, yes I know, but always interesting none the less)

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's my thinking, with round numbers:
Let's say Pro is $5000 street price, LE is $8000 street price. I've seen better prices for both, but lets run with those numbers. So the LE is $3000 more.
You buy the game, keep it for a year, then sell it. If your pro sold for $4500 used, you lost $500 on it. If your LE sold for $7000 used, you lost $1000 on it.
But if you were going to lose $500 on a Pro, then the difference to the $1000 loss on the LE is only an additional $500.
So, all the true "difference" between a Pro and LE, is that extra $500 depreciation on the LE. You're still losing $1k, but you'd be out $500 on the Pro anyways.
The subject of this thread is is the LE worth $3k more, I'm boiling it down to a $500 depreciation difference between the 2, ultimately, not $3000.
It's crazy math, but makes sense to me, it's not about what you are out TODAY, but about what you are out of pocket come the day you sell it.

I understand your logic. To me it is similar to the arguement made against hybrids. They say it takes "x number of miles getting 20% better mileage" blah blah blah. Sure you have to drive it a certain amount of time (to get better mileage) if you assume both cars will sell for the same amount. Hybrids inherently sell for considerably more than a traditional motor.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Maybe OP could add a poll?

Thanks ViolinFather!

#65 9 years ago

I'm gonna revise my number, at $7495 I plan on losing about $2000 in value in the first 9 months.

How much were the Hulk and TF Le's at the realistic distro prices? Can't seem to give them away today, I'm hoping like some are saying, its not "the Walking Dud"....

#66 9 years ago

At the current price point...no. If it were $6200...then yes.

#67 9 years ago

I'm pretty happy with the pro
LE certainly looks nicer (minus the bloody diarrhea color trim) hope people that bought it think so too!

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

LE certainly looks nicer (minus the bloody diarrhea color trim) hope people that bought it think so too!

Haha! Thanks for planting that image in my head again PDX.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'm pretty happy with the pro

Oh great another pinball image that will never leave my mind, like dick beard. Now i need to buy new armor. Thanks pdxmonkey

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm gonna revise my number, at $7495 I plan on losing about $2000 in value in the first 9 months.
How much were the Hulk and TF Le's at the realistic distro prices? Can't seem to give them away today, I'm hoping like some are saying, its not "the Walking Dud"....

I think the difference between say TF, hulk or ST and twd is this

The popularity with is that those games came out as movie based games. Ppl watch the movie(s) and they get excited but quickly fades unless u are a hard core fan. I love my ST and I notice every nuance from the game from the movie. I asked my friend who watched both movies if he remembers "red matter". He doesn't. So those red dots on the pf mean nothing to him

Where as TWD is on season 5 and each week the viewers are reminded of them. So as long as the show is being aired and new episodes are being made. Ppl will have a closer connection and will remain more popular

#71 9 years ago

No problem
No JPEG needed

#72 9 years ago

Where as TWD is on season 5 and each week the viewers are reminded of them. So as long as the show is being aired and new episodes are being made. Ppl will have a closer connection and will remain more popular

That's a great point man! I think you are right on, never thought about that difference.

I also think that's why music pins have a better chance of being great for longer because people will turn on the pin again and again just to listen to Metallica and Ac/dc.

#73 9 years ago

Kinda like Wheel of Fortune, CSI, and 24!

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

To be fair, CSI and 24 were developed during a very bad time in Sterns financial history as I recall.

#75 9 years ago

Those are crap cost cutter pins, gotta have a great player to go with it. But I get your point

And TWD is a worldwide sensation. Those pins don't even come close.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#77 9 years ago

Is the fan base of those shows female dominated or male dominated?

What's the ratio of male to female "pinballers"?

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm an LE buyer because of theme, and because I hate having a stripped version of a game. I want the full experience.

Same here. I want the whole game, not just part of it. That's why I went with the LE

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

To be fair, CSI and 24 were developed during a very bad time in Sterns financial history as I recall.

Oh, I like the games. But I dont think Stern's financial situation had to do with why they were unpopular. Id buy one of those over a Stern Pro from the last couple of years in a minute.

I just think 'Because its an ongoing show!' isnt a good reason for the game to be popular. The game will sell well based on its own merit of a game. License only takes the game so far. Transformers is a hugely popular franchise, Avengers and the marvel movies are a worldwide sensation! Heck there are at least 2 Marvel movies every year with Avengers characters.

#80 9 years ago

I'll say this, I'm feeling like a HUGE winner, pro or LE with Stern's TWD.

A pin I actually pay for today and get to play tomorrow. After SkitB, Jpop and now TBL, there is WHOLE LOT to be said for Stern, how much is that worth!

#81 9 years ago

Is the fan base of those shows female dominated or male dominated?

What's the ratio of male to female "pinballers"?

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/gory-raunchy-and-bro-filled-tv-series-are-hit-women-147503

Hope there are a lot of women pinballers buying LEs

#82 9 years ago

Aren't they making around 600 LE's, or did I read that wrong somewhere?

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Aren't they making around 600 LE's, or did I read that wrong somewhere?

Supposedly 250 here in the US and the rest are going overseas. Total 600

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Extra magnet, drop and spinner in front of the Woodbury shot, a few extra inserts, some color changing inserts, red/white color change GI. Rust colored armor, service rails instead of pegs. And it's limited. You're paying for limitedness. Only you can decide if that's worth it to you.

Don't forget the fish tank in the back and the raising left ramp with bash toy under it.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

AC/DC shouldn't be compared to any other game. It was Steve Ritchie's first game back at Stern and they basically told him to go nuts. So he did. For a number of reasons, that won't happen again. If you measure any other game again AC/DC premium or LE, it's going to come up short.

Allowing a designer to "go nuts" resulted in the the best selling game for Stern in many years. Seems worth while to keep it up, no?

#86 9 years ago

I just think 'Because its an ongoing show!' isnt a good reason for the game to be popular. The game will sell well based on its own merit of a game.

Sure...but Walking Dead has a lot more going for it than simply as a nice TV show license.

Zombies = The first pin to hit the market with this super-popular theme. Zombies are everywhere in media now, and Stern hit the jackpot with this theme.

Comics = Don't forget that TWD was a hugely popular comic before it became a TV show. That stuff is gold for us pinball buying comic geeks.

Stern basically has two main markets...the 30 and 40-something GenX nerds like me who love all things geeky (Superheroes, Tron, Zombies), and a crowd that is slightly older that likes a bunch of nostalgia-heavy iconic 60s/70s themes, and rock bands of the past (AC/DC, Metallica, Elvis, Mustang, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, etc).

Something like Walking Dead is perfect for who they market to.

Pete

#87 9 years ago

Yes you get more toys and art, etc for more money with the LE.
In the end it just comes down to how much money you have to blow on a pin. If your tighter on your budget, you go for the PRO, if your wealth is more fluent, then those go for the LE. (usually)

#88 9 years ago

OT, has anybody played the PS4 comic version of TWD. Just picked up a PS4 this weekend.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

OT, has anybody played the PS4 comic version of TWD. Just picked up a PS4 this weekend.

The TellTale game? It's fantastic! I watched my better half play through all the episodes, she loved it.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

The TellTale game? It's fantastic! I watched my better half play through all the episodes, she loved it.

Yep, that's the one, must be really good if the wife is hogging it!

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, that's the one, must be really good if the wife is hogging it!

She's on the last episode of season 2 now. If you like Telltales TWD you may as well pick up "A Wolf Among Us" too. It's also pretty awesome.

(Sorry for the slight derailment OP)

#92 9 years ago

Yes, to me it is always worth the extra for the LE. I buy maybe one title a year and when I do I am going balls out or not at all. Not sure what the problem is? You get more playfield components and more bling. More fun while you have it and holds all or most of the value when you sell it. These are expensive toys and I assume no one buying an NIB machine as a toy is poor. One good weekend of playing golf, deep sea fishing or a set of expendable tires for a hot car makes the difference in resale value for pins look small. Sometimes we even make money at resale time. By almost any measure of other expensive hobbies, an LE is not a money pit. Even good return on investment toys like a full auto machine gun cost thousands to use. Go price 1000 rounds of 223 these days. That is hundreds of dollars for an hour or two of shooting.

#93 9 years ago

Don't get me wrong, so far I like the game. I played it a bunch at expo and think it has promise. Im also a walking dead fan. I just didnt like the argument of 'Popular ongoing show = Great game'

#94 9 years ago

Gary said no more premiums will be made of any new games from here on out. Just pro's & LE's. So if you don't get a LE, your stuck with a pro. Unless the code takes for ever like Xmen did & you can pick one up later, but remember, it's Lyman Sheets, not the other guys on this one.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Gary said no more premiums will be made of any new games from here on out. Just pro's & LE's.

Why to people keep repeating this false rumor?

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Gary said no more premiums will be made of any new games from here on out. Just pro's & LE's. So if you don't get a LE, your stuck with a pro. Unless the code takes for ever like Xmen did & you can pick one up later, but remember, it's Lyman Sheets, not the other guys on this one.

I think there was a whole thread dedicated to this statement that Gary supposedly made at Expo and it ended up being something that was misheard.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Gary said no more premiums will be made of any new games from here on out.

I don't know enough to call this false rumor (or a true statement for that matter) but when and where did Gary says this, and did you get it in writing?!? Seems like a pretty big shift if this is now Stern's official policy (as opposed to a statement of what they'll do with a given title if the LEs don't sell out, which would also make sense).

#98 9 years ago

for an extra $3200 not a chance. better off paying the less amount and modding it up a bit to your own taste. the pro art package is better anyway.

Plus there is also an element of elitism where some purely and simply buy the le because it is the better model. But is it the better value? not in this case.

#99 9 years ago

I would say it is premature to ask if it is worth it until you can see one and play one. Once it is delivered domestically people will begin to weigh in. Videos are not a good indicator of value in my opinion. I have the wait and see approach.

#100 9 years ago

New games require code and time playing the game to have a feel for the layout and understanding of said code, otherwise they suck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 26.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-twd-le-really-worth-the-3000-price-increase-over-the-pro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.