“is TRON the fastest pin on earth !?”

• yes, for sure 21 votes
    19%
  • dont know, never played TRON 9 votes
    8%
  • no, its... 81 votes
    73%

(111 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

(talking about the gameplay and the flow of the ball, not the player capacity to catch balls on flippers)

i think about that yesterday, trying for the 1st time a X-MEN from a friend
as he told me, the game is fast...
heu, after few games, i dont if it is or not (i enjoy the pin as games lastest, and quickly finding the trajectories), but i'm sure TRON is way faster !
and than thinking about the TRON design : no "bay lock" on the playfield, no small upper lanes which calm down the ball, and the only place you've got a 2 seconds break is in the arcade, every other shot is just as a boomerang, and even not talking about the spindisk...

than, except the arcade, you have no "break" in the game, with the ball blocked as the DMD is playing some animation for the next feature coming in the game

TRON the fastest at the moment ?

#2 11 years ago

That's a very hard question to answer.....I thought SM was really fast......

#3 11 years ago

yep, agreed for SM, similar as MM or AFM than... but in these, you still got various "break" in the game, than the flow is "cutted" for sure

#4 11 years ago

VND. Not my words (but I agree

Quoted from goatdan:

With clean Glo-Balls, it is the fastest pinball machine ever, period.

viperrwk

#5 11 years ago

IM is faster than Tron.
I am yet to play a pinball machine as fast as Ironman.

#6 11 years ago

I have played all Modern Sterns and I have to say ALL of them felt slow compared to "Big Guns". Now that is a ridiculously fast playing game!!!!!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

IM is faster than Tron.
I am yet to play a pinball machine as fast as Ironman.

this one already in my mind, than was waiting an answer as yours
but, i dont have the same speed "feeling" as TRON, may be just because of settings as the slope ?
btw, again, in IM you got 2 flow big breaks, on the upper playfield with the 2 upper post...

dont know Big Guns in real
and last games on VND is yearrrrrrrrrs ago, dont remember

#8 11 years ago

Maybe Tron is. I know after a good waxing the ball can whip around an orbit and back to my flippers in .00341 seconds. Yep that fast, I've timed it!

#9 11 years ago

JM is crazy fast.

Shadow loop might be the fastest shot in pinball.

#10 11 years ago

I think IM is the fastest, the open playfield and kick back make it just insane. Look at the avg. ball/game times on it. This game will make a good player look bad, but they will come back for more.

#11 11 years ago

Future Spa is the fastest. SM is close. AFM too. People rave over ACDC. IM is pretty quick. Lots of other fast games. Fish Tales is fast! I never even considered Tron. You have a point with the ball mostly moving, but that Gem slows the ball, whether you flat out miss it or make it. An off angle shot to the right loop gets caught in the pops too. I've never said to myself "wow, this is fast" playing Tron. So I guess my answer is "No".

Funhouse though, that game is a speed demon!

#12 11 years ago

I'll hand it to Tron, it can be fast, and very fun, but AC/DC, and many other SR games are faster on average, I would also side with IM for speed.

#13 11 years ago

Iron Man and Johnny Mnemonic make Tron look like a ride in a wheelchair.

#14 11 years ago

IM.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

this one already in my mind, than was waiting an answer as yours
but, i dont have the same speed "feeling" as TRON, may be just because of settings as the slope ?
btw, again, in IM you got 2 flow big breaks, on the upper playfield with the 2 upper post...
dont know Big Guns in real
and last games on VND is yearrrrrrrrrs ago, dont remember

You can disable the post.. many do. Makes IM even more insanely fast. Fastest game IMHO.

#17 11 years ago

JM kicks my ass more

#18 11 years ago

Tron is pretty fast but not as fast as F14.

Pappy

#19 11 years ago

Iron man is faster overall, however the outer loop in AC/DC is wicked if you hit the ball on the fly.

#20 11 years ago

johnny mnemonic seems faster to me

#21 11 years ago

JM way faster than tron

#22 11 years ago

IM with outlanes open and monger post turned off -now thats a fast pin.

#23 11 years ago

I often wonder if the war machine kickback on IM is the fastest toy in pinball? Certainly a fast machine, but flow is king and IM's slow return speed from the ramps coupled with the whiplash magnet makes it slower to play than Tron imo.

JM is fast too but thats because you can hit endless orbit and ramp combos. No Fear also fast with the center return shot to right orbit then jump ramp combo being one of the most satisfying shots sets out there. The jump ramp accelerator on NF has the ability to whip the ball around at speeds much faster than your eyes can track, smashing the crap out of everything in its path....

I guess we would need a 'standard' of measuring factors so that speed could accurately be measured from game to game. I can see that being a right headf**k trying to measure certain factors like ball spin and directional speed change. Although im sure there will be a genius out there with a solution.....*coughs*...Anyone?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Iron Man and Johnny Mnemonic make Tron look like a ride in a wheelchair.

Ditto what he said. No doubt about it. Very little opportunity for a break on Tron, but even less on the other two. You can break on Tron every time you send the ball into the arcade. Easy timing with the right flipper. My 2 cents.

#25 11 years ago

I'm gonna go with AC/DC Pro. IM is a fast game, but it's a wide open playfield. AC/DC is more confined, and the ball comes ricocheting off those standups at crazy fast speeds. Plus, the slings are much stronger on AC/DC than IM or Tron.

#26 11 years ago

Popeye!

#27 11 years ago

This one seen here is the fastest.....must be going 20mph before it hits

#28 11 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic faster than Tron? With that magnetic hand that slowly moves the ball?!

#29 11 years ago

IM
HS2
JM
TRON

In that order IMHO

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

With that magnetic hand that slowly moves the ball?!

That's the reason why I think overall Tron is faster than JM. Yes, Tron has the scoop but it doesn't take nearly as long as the magnetic hand.

#31 11 years ago

Uh, actually the outer loop on my Popeye is blindingly fast (especially if you hit 5-6 in a row then you can barely see the ball at all) and the ricochet off of the Bluto PF toy is many times super fast, and the upper play field can get very quick as well. Just depends on how well setup and cared for the machine is. Oh and the 3,4 and 6 ball multi balls get insanely fast often. Mine gets lots of attention and care so it plays especially fast (for a Popeye).

#32 11 years ago

ACDC Pro fastest.

#33 11 years ago

well,

reading all, i think some of you misunderstood my initial ask, more axed on the continous flow of the ball & the game (and not the maximum speed of the ball at 1 moment), to not being stopped by a lock bay, a magnet, a hole, or something else in the game...

and... FUTURE SPA ??? its long way back in my memory, but think i could fall asleep with that pin !

#34 11 years ago

The fastest game I ever played was a freshly shopped & waxed Johnny Mnemonic. It destroyed everyone in league, including its owner, me.

Tron is a definitely a #2 contender, especially with a fresh set of mirror polished balls. RazerX put powerballs in his Tron LE on location, which was stupid fast, but I don't count that as a real game for speed rankings; you could turbocharge any game with powerballs.

Pro tip: don't wax your JM unless you have a death wish.

#35 11 years ago

Tron, Iron Man and ACDC pro are all fast games, but none of them are as fast as F14

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from roadshow16:

none of them are as fast as F14

To me, F-14 lacks a little in the speed department due to its system 11 hardware. But it's super fast for its era.

#37 11 years ago

yep, also got F14 in mind...

while pushing older than, what about BK2000 & FLASH GORDON ?

#38 11 years ago

JM is the fastest that I've played.

#39 11 years ago

A freshly waxed Tron is out of control. When I owned F-14, it was speedy but not lightning quick, but that may be attributed to my inexperience (first pin).

Picking up a JM this weekend. Love fast games. Can't wait!

#40 11 years ago

It can be depending on how it is set up. I played 5 different Tron Pros. 3 were not impressive. One was fast and the last was insane.

#41 11 years ago

Fish Tales is up there.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It can be depending on how it is set up. I played 5 different Tron Pros. 3 were not impressive. One was fast and the last was insane.

insane... as sometimes the return from the spindisk, you (really) even didnt see the ball than its already in the center drain smashing the metal panel of the apron !

#43 11 years ago

tron is smooth and fast but it's still a joke compared to im with maxed pitch and upgraded flipper coils. no other pin i played or owned comes close to an upgraded im. nothing. it's out of control when it comes to speed. makes almost all pins feel like sleepers.

#44 11 years ago

i have tron,im,and acdc premium - i would have to go ironman,acdc and tron in that order. thanks ed

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

im with maxed pitch and upgraded flipper coils

Drool. I want an Iron Man exactly like that someday. It'll be the ultimate love/hate relationship.

#46 11 years ago

Getaway, F-14, IM & JM are faster than Tron based on the sheer speed that can be generated that you have to constantly react to.

The rubber at the end of the right ramp slows down ball travel sometimes when a fast shot is hit. It takes an extra moment to feed to the flippers unlike MM or AFM for example. I wonder if there is a way to adjust this to speed it up? (Someone needs to add this MOD to the list!)

When the ball stays in the disc area for a while and builds up spin, I always brace for a screamer. I had one generate so much speed it launched OVER the flippers before hitting the playfield. This has only happened 1x so I'm not concerned about airballs. I had a good ball going and was frustrated for a second that my ball drained, but then I couldn't help to be impressed with the fight coming from this machine.

Someone should get a radar gun on these titles to get some actual speeds clocked!

#48 11 years ago

Acdc pro much faster.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

When the ball stays in the disc area for a while and builds up spin, I always brace for a screamer. I had one generate so much speed it launched OVER the flippers before hitting the playfield.

I had one fly over the flippers, hit the apron, drop in the bottom left corner of the outlane, spin up through the outlane, and back onto the playfield. Single craziest pinball moment I've ever witnessed.

#50 11 years ago

Tron is up there. Feels a bit quicker than IM but I don;t play a lot of IM.
Never really felt JM was that fast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-tron-the-fastest-pin-on-earth-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.