• Latest reply 11 years ago by Jeremecium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

The_rules_have_changed.JPG
TRON.JPG
There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ummm I believe the game is being sarcastic. Kinda in the way Stane gives you the "well that worked out well" line when you botch up Monger Multi ball on Iron Man.

No, because it says exactly the same thing if you actually complete all the CLU shots... or half, or one, or all except one... or none... it's totally dis-conencted to how you perform and therefore meaningless and, to me at least, annoying...

Does Stane say 'well that worked out well' when you also succeed in Monger Multiball?

#202 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I was thinking of this last night as another thing that really bugs me about it... I hate being complimented irrespective of how crap I do... You start Clu, loose the ball immediately and you get complimented... it just makes me think in my head: ' What do you mean 'that was impressive', NO, it was total crap... I'm playing like shit, can't you see that!! What was impressive, what what???' And it just adds to the whole false and shallow feeling I got from it... Paris Hilton comes to mind yet again
I suppose this also appeals to the 'novice' as was mentioned...
The 'The rules have changed' came from reading Pinball News, here is the part where I got it from:

My TRON memory is a bit wonky too, so my 'three hits' recolection is definitely flakey

Actually the quote is "Clu was impressive" when you lose. When you beat Clu there is a scream/wail of agony or deresolution by Clu.

#203 11 years ago

The 'The rules have changed' came from reading Pinball News, here is the part where I got it from:

Still not sure why youre so upset over this. So they changed that when you complete a mode it stays lit as opposed to flashing. Getting this worked up over a slogan seems a bit silly.

As far as the Clu slogan I dunno I never payed that much attention to it I'm usually trying my best to save the ball & work on the next objective. I guess if Tron was that disappointing for you its best you moved on from it. I sold my 1st LE early cause of crappy CQ from Stern & paid the premium to get it back. Moral of the story I guess is sometimes you need to give a game a lil more time.

#204 11 years ago
Quoted from kidfresh:

Actually the quote is "Clu was impressive" when you lose. When you beat Clu there is a scream/wail of agony or deresolution by Clu.

Really... I see... That does change things... I'm not sure how the player messing his ball up makes Clu impressive though I'm sure I heard the same quote when I beat Clu...

Quoted from smassa:

Still not sure why youre so upset over this. So they changed that when you complete a mode it stays lit as opposed to flashing. Getting this worked up over a slogan seems a bit silly.

I'm not sure how worked up you think I am... I don't feel worked up much at all... I'm just saying that the use of that slogan was one of the things that made me pull the trigger because I thought it meant something more than just changing the way the inserts blinked... I thought it meant there was a radical change in strategic gameplay... It wasn't like it was the only reason I bought the game, it was just another let-down... I didn't get worked up about it, just a bit dissapointed, that's all...

It 'seems' like you're getting worked up over me expressing my dissapointment

#205 11 years ago

I'm not sure how worked up you think I am... I don't feel worked up much at all.

Well I guess since youve mention it 2 or 3 times I figured it was a big deal to you. Oh well no biggie.

#206 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Well I guess since youve mention it 2 or 3 times I figured it was a big deal to you. Oh well no biggie.

I actually only mentioned it once... then someone asked where I got that quote from, so I tried to remember and realised it was while reading Pinball News... I looked there to see if my memory was correct, and found it... so I pasted that page to answer another poster's question... And then you brought it up again... As you say, no biggie...

I got married to this game, had my honeymoon period, and then got divorced... Who knows, I may go out with her again, the enthusiasm in this topic is certainly making me think that maybe I was too cinical of the game... maybe I expected too much, like going to see a film that was hyped too much by fans...

My 'other view' comments on here are not due to a feeling of hate towards the game, but I just want to let other people see sides of the game that fans may overlook... to give a more 'rounded' view...

Stern could have ballanced that spinning disk a bit better too so it's not as LOUD... My game was in my lounge and I had to turn the disk off after a while because my partner couldn't hear the news on TV and was giving me grief!! She would turn the TV up so loud that the neighbours would start banging on the ceiling!

I'm really looking forward to getting the house and gamesroom finished so I can move out of this crappy temporary accomodation... Flats with neighbours above and below are not pinball friendly, especially with Tron's disk!

#207 11 years ago

Dude you said you felt you were cheated because you bought a nib game after you read that stern said the rules have changed... When in the pinball news article you just posted it clearly stated what had changed before it said it? Maybe it's your own fault for buying an 8k game without researching and finding out exactly what that meant

#208 11 years ago

yesterday i picked up the camera to made some vids of my Tron. On the third game i reached the portal!! wow i was so excited since it was the first time that i completely blew it lol
now when i get there again on a game so hard? i don't know but i will keep trying forever
that is one of the reasons this game is so awesome, just by reaching the wizard mode is like beating a game.. and you still have to beat it after it

#209 11 years ago
Quoted from Sgtmax:

Dude you said you felt you were cheated because you bought a nib game after you read that stern said the rules have changed...

My comment about feeling cheated was based on realising that the number of inserts in the playfield was, in my view, showing the game to be more complex than it really was, as I stated a few posts back... I also remember hearing the phrase 'the rules have changed' somewhere else prior to buying it, maybe it was on the flyer, I can't remember... this added to my expectations that the game would be something exceptional from a strategic play point of view...

After I got the game home and had around 100 games I then referred to Pinball News (I don't like to look there to see how to play a game normally because part of the fun is figuring it out, but with TRON I felt I needed help) to look for guidance of how to play it, which is where I saw what 'the rules have changed' really meant...

I clealry had expectations that were too high for the games depth/strategy...

And now I've gone and mentioned 'the rules have changed' again... I must be OCD on this one

Quoted from Sgtmax:

Maybe it's your own fault for buying an 8k game without researching and finding out exactly what that meant

I see your point.... but.... even if you read something that puts the game down, you never really know if the game will click with you personally or not... You have to try it for yourself I think to really find out if the game is for you... There were seveal factors involved that made me buy this, and probably the most important one was that if I don't like it, I probably will have no trouble selling it on sice it had a massive following before it even left the factory...

#210 11 years ago
Quoted from Sgtmax:

Maybe it's your own fault for buying an 8k game without researching and finding out exactly what that meant

That's for the most part how you have to buy machines with Stern. Sure there are reviews, but again, with Tron, all there is to read are mountains and waves of mods threads. There must be a 10-1 ratio alone on the frickin ramp lighting threads compared to anything about Tron play. I don't own one, and despite playing a few times to date and not fully knowing what I'm doing, I feel like I could completely and accurately mod it out blind folded with an arm tied behind my back...

I got married to this game, had my honeymoon period, and then got divorced... Who knows, I may go out with her again

Absolutely hilarious!! Despite my comments, I wouldn't be surprised if I still acquire one at one point. I most let down by the process stern arrives at a game, as noted in the PF steals, than the machine itself.

#211 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There must be a 10-1 ratio alone on the frickin ramp lighting threads compared to anything about Tron play. I don't own one, and despite playing a few times to date and not fully knowing what I'm doing, I feel like I could completely and accurately mod it out blind folded with an arm tied behind my back...

There's not a lot on how to play the game for a reason

Seriously though, if you really want to know how to play the game, the best place to look is the 'in depth game review' on Pinball News (the 2nd review gives game play). This is where I got the info to draw my 'how to get through modes' chart... If I still had that chart I could post it up here... It was a good 'go to' tool for understanding the game of how to start and finish modes...

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Absolutely hilarious!!

Well, you know what they say... sex with your ex is the best sex there is... Anyone got a TRON for sale near Prague

#212 11 years ago

I was thinking of this last night as another thing that really bugs me about it... I hate being complimented irrespective of how crap I do... You start Clu, loose the ball immediately and you get complimented... it just makes me think in my head: ' What do you mean 'that was impressive', NO, it was total crap... I'm playing like shit, can't you see that!! What was impressive, what what???' And it just adds to the whole false and shallow feeling I got from it... Paris Hilton comes to mind yet again
I suppose this also appeals to the 'novice' as was mentioned...

My TRON memory is a bit wonky too, so my 'three hits' recolection is definitely flakey

I think this is a marketing goof. The line from the film and game is, "the game has changed". This is also in the end of the teaser video. And on mine the recognizer requires 4 hits to any targets in any order to drop.

#213 11 years ago

Your wonky beat my wonky, lol.

The Recognizer does not care which side of the target you strike. A direct hit, i.e. hitting the section lit up by the insert and recognizer scores 2 hits.

For Flynn, it definitely takes 2 shots. One to start, the lane adjacent to the arcade scoop, and another to finish, the blinking red arror that represents Flynn.

Marcus

#214 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ummm I believe the game is being sarcastic. Kinda in the way Stane gives you the "well that worked out well" line when you botch up Monger Multi ball on Iron Man.

That's the problem, it's not being sarcastic or even complimentary for that matter. It never
changes, if you get 0, 1, 2, 3 or all 4 of the required shots in CLU, it says the same thing. It's
not a huge deal but that and other voice calls could use some variety.

I thought the game says, "The game has changed, Son of Flynn". I could be wrong though, it's
hard to concentrate on every word as the ball flies around like it does on that game. I also have
only really played version 1.7, so I really don't know anything about previous revisions.

#215 11 years ago

in the movie/pinball castor/zuse does say this.... "The game has changed, Son of Flynn".

Quoted from RJW:

"The game has changed, Son of Flynn".

That's the problem, it's not being sarcastic or even complimentary for that matter. It never
changes, if you get 0, 1, 2, 3 or all 4 of the required shots in CLU, it says the same thing. It's
I thought the game says, "The game has changed, Son of Flynn". I could be wrong though, it's
hard to concentrate on every word as the ball flies around like it does on that game. I also have
only really played version 1.7, so I really don't know anything about previous revisions.

#216 11 years ago

All the TRON pro mods: It's like remodeling a home. You buy the home, it's not adequate. You remodel it to bring it up to your standards. Like an empty shell, that needs cabinets, flooring, and planting a lawn in the back yard. That's how I see it. Everyone mods TRON. If it was just a few people, that would be normal minor modding. But since everyone heavily mods TRON, it's a fixer up'er.

#217 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Xpin Blue DMD & Tron arcade unit 2.1 is over $550 combined. Shaker & pinbits plastic kit probably push it around $700. Dont see the big deal since its all personal preference.

What about the lighted ramps? That's a must for a pro "TRON fixer up'er" project.

Some people like to buy "needs TLC" things and work on them. TRON fits that bill perfectly.

#218 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

No. I'd go with Top 75 (barely).

because....

#219 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

please please post a vid showing your skill! that shot is the hardest thing i ever saw in pinball!
the other day i shot it with the lower right flipper, bounced on something i can't remember.
the gem shot is like a luck shot. you get it much more times out of luck.. and that makes the game so hard i love it!

I prefer to hit gem by bouncing ball off standup Tron targets w/ right flipper. I'm far from 100% and it is difficult, but for some reason when I need to hit a shot (between the 2), I prefer Gem over the right orbit.

#220 11 years ago

yeah.... when i got my tron le i was like "boy this is a sh*ty game". then i was like "boy i better mod this pin to make it not so sh*ty". then i added ramp protectors, arcade mod, some frosted leds, uv plastic protectors and now its not such a sh*ty game

Quoted from Propaganda:

All the TRON pro mods: It's like remodeling a home. You buy the home, it's not adequate. You remodel it to bring it up to your standards. Like an empty shell, that needs cabinets, flooring, and planting a lawn in the back yard. That's how I see it. Everyone mods TRON. If it was just a few people, that would be normal minor modding. But since everyone heavily mods TRON, it's a fixer up'er.

#221 11 years ago

We know, we know. You have an LE. All the pro owners, bow down for the LE owner.

#222 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

What about the lighted ramps? That's a must for a pro "TRON fixer up'er" project.
Some people like to buy "needs TLC" things and work on them. TRON fits that bill perfectly.

Dont need the light kit.

#223 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Adding personal taste mods have absolutely nothing to do with a pin being incomplete. Some of us in the community enjoy adding our own touches to pins that others may not even care for. It is part of the fun and has absolutely nothing to do with a pin not being complete. There are many mods for some of the most popular pins like AFM, TZ, SM, TAF, and Tron. It has nothing to do with the pins not being complete or having to build them from the ground up.

#224 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I would say most here would disagree with you, but you of course our welcome to your opinion. I personally have never owned a pinball machine that I have not modded or plan to mod. Its the same w/ every car I've owned since age 16. Its the same with houses when people buy them. People mod these things along with many other types of products b/c it makes them their own, gives it that personal stamp.

#225 11 years ago

I just keep reading ...ignored user comment

#226 11 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

For Flynn, it definitely takes 2 shots. One to start, the lane adjacent to the arcade scoop, and another to finish, the blinking red arror that represents Flynn.

I NEVER started Flynn with a shot, it was always a failed skill shot to the arcade scoop that started Flynn when I played... It only therefore needed one actual flipper shot to start and complete...

#227 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Im' not sure why visual mods fall under the 'fixed it' category for YOU, but there are plenty of HOU Tron tables out there without any mods (ours) that are bringing plenty of enjoyment to lots of friends and neighbors (2k plays and counting).

Personally I categorize fixer upper projects as something broken (code, mechanics, flow, bad design), I'm not sure anyone but you would categorize 'bling' as a 'fix'... You wouldn't happen to drive a really cool Civic would you?? (I kid I kid )

#228 11 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

It's not flawless, but now that I'm familiar with all of the call outs they do a great job of identifying how I am doing in each mode. At least starting and ending (success/fail) for each mode. That's not to say they are all equally clear but I no longer have to look up to read the board to see how I'm doing within a mode.

#229 11 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I like Tron, I own one myself. It just seems some of the callouts and
DMD animations could use some work. This polishing would turn a good game into a great one.

#230 11 years ago

I've played an unmodded LE and an unmodded pro and i noticed no difference in "fun factor" between the two. I am not a mod/led/topper guy, though. The LE lightshow is sweet, though.

2 weeks later
#231 11 years ago
Quoted from Medieval_Gofers:

Tron a top 20 game?
If I had it my way it would be top 10! The game has a simple ruleset but one that is sometimes tough to make your way through. Amazing art, colours, ramps and lightshow. No expensive playfield toys so the ball is free to visit every area of the playfield with some wide and some tight shots. It's up there with Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure and The Addams Family for best intergration of a theme to pinball. Borg is now one of my all-time favourite designers just because of this table alone.

Very well said. This game needs to be in a home enivronment, outfitted with LEDs's, EL wire ramps, and the sound turned up. (maybe a little under the influence of something I will tell you NO pinball has ever tied a theme so well to a game. I feel like I get lost in the grid when I have a real good game on it. Once the quorra multiball is going, I add the 2 more balls, and have a four ball, play the shit out of it, and then flow into maybe disk or light cycle multi, and then finally hit the sea of simulation, there is NOTHING like it. DO NOT judge this game by your experience in an arcade. Find one that is setup correctly, and play it a bunch and you will Get it. The people who rate it the way it deserves do so because they "GET it"

#232 11 years ago

+1

#233 11 years ago
Quoted from drummerweene:

Very well said. This game needs to be in a home enivronment, outfitted with LEDs's, EL wire ramps, and the sound turned up. (maybe a little under the influence of something I will tell you NO pinball has ever tied a theme so well to a game. I feel like I get lost in the grid when I have a real good game on it. Once the quorra multiball is going, I add the 2 more balls, and have a four ball, play the shit out of it, and then flow into maybe disk or light cycle multi, and then finally hit the sea of simulation, there is NOTHING like it. DO NOT judge this game by your experience in an arcade. Find one that is setup correctly, and play it a bunch and you will Get it. The people who rate it the way it deserves do so because they "GET it"

Can say the same about TFLE...which is way more intense than Tron when the fur starts to fly.

Full disclosure: I own - just traded for -TFLE...and I turned down an offer of a NIB Tron to make the trade for TFLE. Having played both - and Tron quite alot - I felt TFLE had more to it and was more fun. So far I believe I made the right choice. And that's with the roadblock.

Post edited by TheFamilyArcade : Clarifying my post with some details.

#234 11 years ago

I suppose everyone would have a different Top 20 list to begin with. At the moment, Tron is somewhere in my Top 20 games to own. I had a chance to play one for the first and only time while in Durham and I thought it was wonderful. It was in a line with Shrek, Iron Man, and Avatar and Tron got the most play. Though, I am a little infatuated with Iron Man which got the next most plays.

So, yeah, right now it is a Top 20 pin for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-tron-really-a-top-20-game/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.