• Latest reply 11 years ago by Jeremecium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

The_rules_have_changed.JPG
TRON.JPG
There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

I wasn't around here 11 months ago so this thread is brand new to me, I'll throw my 2 cents of an opinion in and say for sure this machine is a top 20 game. It just rocks. Has pretty much everything you could want in a pinball machine and if you're a fan of the Tron theme it's just icing on the cake.

Definitely a top 20 Stern.

#102 11 years ago

19th and 20th if you want to split hairs.

I don't see what the negative comments are all about in regards to reviving this thread. Would it be better if he started a new one? I think not. It isn't like this is an 11 month old for sale ad. Just my two cents. No offense meant to anyone.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Definitely a top 20 Stern.

Oh yeah, I agree. It is in the Top 20 games that Stern has produced. (counting fingers....have they hit 20 yet?)

I also couldn't stand TSPP when I first played it and now love that game. I assume I will feel the love for Tron someday, too.

If not...hey, there is one more game out there for someone to buy then, eh?

#104 11 years ago

I need to play TSPP more. Also has not rung my bell but I love the theme and Dan has a nice one...

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I don't see what the negative comments are all about in regards to reviving this thread. Would it be better if he started a new one? I think not. It isn't like this is an 11 month old for sale ad. Just my two cents. No offense meant to anyone.

Personally I think it's waaaay better to revive threads than start new ones for several reasons:

1) You get to see how views change over a longer period of time.
2) You bring all opinions together.
3) You reduce the total number of threads floating about, which makes Pinside more concise.
4) There's a certain nostalgia trip in looking at old threads reminding you of the good ol' days

#106 11 years ago

I like Tron ALOT better than I used to. It is an exciting, beautiful pin. I can think of 4 or 5 Sterns off the top of my head that I prefer. Could very well be a top 20 all time pin, but I don't think of it in terms of "all time greats" like I do with certain pins. Hype and love aside, like most pins, I think there will be plenty of HUO Trons available in a couple years. Even from the people that NEVER sell their pins. But since my crystal ball is broken, I cant say for sure.

#107 11 years ago

I think there will be plenty of HUO Trons available in a couple years.

Listen to this wisdom here.

#108 11 years ago

I haven't owned my Tron LE long but have to say it and ACDC are my favorite Sterns for sure and I have owned most of the newer Sterns.

Tron has great flow, music, mods that look great, overall looks and game play puts it in my top 20 for sure.

#109 11 years ago

For me, no...SS isn't for me either or TOTAN for that matter. Don't read too much into the rankings. Rankings are for fools looking for popularity.

#110 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I haven't owned my TRON LE long but have to say it and ACDC are my favorite Sterns for sure and I have owned most of the newer Sterns.
Tron has great flow, music, mods that look great, overall looks and game play puts it in my top 20 for sure.

Quoted from Propaganda:

Listen to this wisdom here.

I agree...two years there will be a glut of these.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I think there will be plenty of HUO Trons available in a couple years.

Does anyone have any idea the total production of pro's after they finish the November run? In today's world HUO is becoming a more and more common thing because as we all know the collectors are keeping this hobby alive.

#112 11 years ago

Top 20 - yes. It would be near end of list but definitely present. The spinning disk is fantastic and gem shot satisfying. Once fiber optic kit is available for the pro, you can add mesmerizing light show to the list. Fun game to play and theme tie-in is tight.

#113 11 years ago

There will be a glut, but it won't because of the pinball community at large. It will be because the Tron fanboys will get tired of their toy or need some money and sell them off. It's already happened with some LE's.

#114 11 years ago

TRON is really one of the most beautiful pins when the owner takes the time to give it a more finished look with some of the mods that are out there. Dave O's playfield looks like it was meant to look.

Top 20? Need to recheck that in another decade or so. Man, with boutique pins coming out as they are, who knows what we will be playing and the technology that will be behind it in ten years. There are really some amazingly intelligent and creative people out there investing themselves in pinball. I love the grassroots involvement like Herg, Epthegeek, et al.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I need to play TSPP more. Also has not rung my bell but I love the theme and Dan has a nice one...

Door is always open! As Drac says,"Come play veeth me!"

But since my crystal ball is broken, I cant say for sure.

Isn't someone reproducing those?

Dan

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

There will be a glut, but it won't because of the pinball community at large. It will be because the Tron fanboys will get tired of their toy or need some money and sell them off. It's already happened with some LE's.

Cool! Put me down for a pro!

#116 11 years ago

No where near. I have played this a few times now, and I'm amazed by how easy it is. It has been nothing for me to get to sea of simulation everytime, and then it's more or less over, "rinse, repeat" (blah I hate that expression).

It looks great, music and sounds are very well done, I love the spinning disk, but it's not a top game by any evaluation I have. I have considered buying it with the new releases, but recently when playing, despite playing a very nice one, I am not going to.

This is all subjective of course, as I think MM is a ok to good machine, fun, but not top 20 either, and MB I think is a total waste of time, and shouldn't be in the top 100, let alone where it is.

#117 11 years ago

I predict that in a couple years, after Stern over saturates the market with Trons, I will buy someones totally pimped out HUO Tron Pro after they sunk about 2000 into it. They won't be able to recover those costs. By then, the "essential mods" will likely be updated, changed, revised, improved, several times.

#118 11 years ago

we will see but I think the difference this time is the 2k in mods. Normally folks will cycle a game based on play but TRON is not only super fun but its also a trophy wife. All decked out she is just stunning to look at. Even if I did not play it after the money spent on mods it will stay in a corner shining in all its glory. Now lucky for me its fun as heck to play.
I bet that curtails some of the usual dumping that happens down the road.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I predict that in a couple years, after Stern over saturates the market with Trons, I will buy someones totally pimped out HUO Tron Pro after they sunk about 2000 into it. They won't be able to recover those costs. By then, the "essential mods" will likely be updated, changed, revised, improved, several times.

Hmm, modded mods?

Dan

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dave O's playfield looks like it was meant to look.

Dave's Tron is rad. I've already requested dibs on it if he ever wants to sell. Of course i'm probably not the only one and he hasn't offered me anything...

#121 11 years ago

I may still be in the honeymoon phase (a little over month), but certainly a top 20. Plays much faster than any WMS game I have played and it is very immersive and a lot of fun to trick out. I love battling Rinzler (spoiler: Rinzler is made out of TRON!)

#122 11 years ago

For me the short answer is Yes. I don't own it put played a pro quite a bit, everything ties together very well. Out of the current top 20 I like it better than TOM, CV, WW, and CFTBL.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

we will see but I think the difference this time is the 2k in mods. Normally folks will cycle a game based on play but TRON is not only super fun but its also a trophy wife. All decked out she is just stunning to look at. Even if I did not play it after the money spent on mods it will stay in a corner shining in all its glory. Now lucky for me its fun as heck to play.
I bet that curtails some of the usual dumping that happens down the road.

Dude, my LOTR is stunning and it's totally stock. I understand your point, but I still think for most people space, money and the new thing are what influence the majority of this hobby. Trons will change hands, modded or not...and if not Trons, something else! Maybe something even better! Like LOTRs!

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

BRAAAAAIIIIINNNNNSSSSS!

Let me try: alskdjfal;ksdjatoweitj qwo0tiwqe4oitjq Good?

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Let me try: alskdjfal;ksdjatoweitj qwo0tiwqe4oitjq Good?

Hey, where did you learn Icelandic?

Dan

#126 11 years ago

my LOTR is stunning and it's totally stock

You mean you saved over $2000 in mods and it's in the top 5 currently after almost 10 years?

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

You mean you saved over $2000 in mods and it's in the top 5

For someone that does not own a Tron you sure post a lot about it.

#128 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

you sure post a lot about it

Do you have a problem with that?

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Do you have a problem with that?

No post away but you really seem to have strong feelings on other people should feel about Tron’s

#130 11 years ago

I've heavily analysed the pin and considered buying one myself. Anyone can do whatever they want, that's up to them.

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

I've heavily analysed the pin and considered buying one myself.

I never knew you were considering buying one. Well I had a LOTR for a while and liked it but I think Tron is a much better game but we all like what we like that just adds to the hobby.

#132 11 years ago

Tron is not, was not, and never will be a Top 20 game. Awesome theme and cool art, but mediocre game play, another example of John Borg taking a great theme and designing a mediocre game.

Top 20 for Stern, sure, I would put it as the 9th best Stern behind AC/DC, BTDK, FGY, LOTR, RBION, SM, Transformers, and TSPP. It is pretty easy to make the Stern Top 20, as Stern has not produced 20 decent games to date.

#133 11 years ago

Tron has Gem and Quorra, nuff said.

#134 11 years ago

I sure am seeing alot of posts by ignored users. The trolls must be out.

#135 11 years ago

Lots of posts by people who have played it once or twice. Gimme a break.

My opinion: mods have nothing to do with it. Game play is killer, rules are excellent, theme integration is spot-on. Easily top-twenty modern pinball machine to me. Hell, top ten for me actually. Stern's better games (TRON, AC/DC, LoTR, SM, FGY, etc.) easily compete with the better games from Bally/Williams of the 90s.

#136 11 years ago

IMO it's one of the top 20 of all time, and I have owned TZ, IJ, TOTAN, CFTBL, STTNG (which are considered top 20) and really I think Tron is as good as any of them.

#137 11 years ago

I have owned all of the top 25 and Tron is definitely in my top 10. Hard to get past the classics that never get old like AFM, MM, MB but Tron is right up there.

#138 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

No where near. I have played this a few times now, and I'm amazed by how easy it is. It has been nothing for me to get to sea of simulation everytime, and then it's more or less over, "rinse, repeat" (blah I hate that expression).

Seriously? Easy? I watched a few of the world's top ranked players play Tron at Expo and they
didn't get to SOS once while I was watching, never mind every time.

And SOS isn't even the wizard mode, you then have to complete all the modes to get to Portal and
then it would be very difficult to beat Portal.

#139 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I would love to see this personally. Either you were playing 5 ball or on easy if you could get SOS every time. The game is too random to consistently get to SOS (IMO). Especially if you've only played a few times.

#140 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Getting to sea of simulation is very easy. But that doesn't mean anything. To get there it just means you started each mode. You completed nothing. The challenge is getting to portal. This is only achieved by completing each mode and it is quite a challenge. So unless you have been to portal, you have no basis for saying the game is too easy. Sea of simulation just means you started modes but sucked too much to complete them so you get a second chance to do so before draining your ball before incomplete modes reset to zero.

#141 11 years ago

My Tron LE has been played over 700 times. Nobody has ever made it to Portal.

It's not easy.

#142 11 years ago

Tron Pro is a Top 10 Pin .. TZ is # 1 .. and BSD in the middle

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Sea of simulation just means you started modes but sucked too much to complete them so you get a second chance to do so before draining your ball before incomplete modes reset to zero.

lol I sucked too much to complete them? You were there trolling in the back hall then I guess huh?

Dude, stick your head up your ass. I'm so sick of your BS posts that are there to only piss people off.

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

lol I sucked too much to complete them? You were there trolling in the back hall then I guess huh?

Dude, stick your head up your ass. I'm so sick of your BS posts that are there to only piss people off.

what he means is that completing every mode is very hard. not that you are a bad player.
i consider myself a good player, i even won a local tournament once, and in my opinion Tron is the hardest game i ever played.
another big proof:
"My TRON LE has been played over 700 times. Nobody has ever made it to Portal."
WTF?? 700 plays and no wizard mode?? :S
when i reach the portal, if i ever, i will make a party and get drunk!

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Getting to sea of simulation is very easy. But that doesn't mean anything. To get there it just means you started each mode. You completed nothing. The challenge is getting to portal. This is only achieved by completing each mode and it is quite a challenge. So unless you have been to portal, you have no basis for saying the game is too easy. Sea of simulation just means you started modes but sucked too much to complete them so you get a second chance to do so before draining your ball before incomplete modes reset to zero.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Quoted from hassanchop:

what he means is that completing every mode is very hard. not that you are a bad player.
i consider myself a good player, i even won a local tournament once, and in my opinion Tron is the hardest game i ever played.
another big proof:
"My TRON LE has been played over 700 times. Nobody has ever made it to Portal."
WTF?? 700 plays and no wizard mode?? :S
when i reach the portal, if i ever, i will make a party and get drunk!

I've gotten to Sea of Simulation several times , ( How ) hell if I know .. But i Do believe Markmon just told me How .. Unfortunately he is Correct !! I have 148 Games played on my Tron Pro,
( not much ) I Still don't know much about the Combo shots , and you have to Be Really Quick to glance @ the DMD .. But I Dig the Pin .. I'm Still Learning ..

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It looks great, music and sounds are very well done, I love the spinning disk, but it's not a top game by any evaluation I have. I have considered buying it with the new releases, but recently when playing, despite playing a very nice one, I am not going to.
This is all subjective of course, as I think MM is a ok to good machine, fun, but not top 20 either, and MB I think is a total waste of time, and shouldn't be in the top 100, let alone where it is.

AB I'd love to see the technique .. are you going to the Canadian's in two weekends ?

#147 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

He said I sucked too much to complete them, assuming because I didn't get portal, that I completed none, and of course, that "I sucked". I have no problem with someone advising me that maybe the game is deeper than I thought, but the insults, I will not take. I don't think I suck. For example, in LOTR, I am almost getting Valinor every game now, short of the damn RTK MB, which is a bitch to win. I'm sure I'm not a great player, nor a tournament player, but I don't think I suck.

If however mark is winning all modes, and getting portal, and getting to valinor, than I will retract this comment, and concur in sucking in comparison to him. But until then, he can take the insults and shove them.

I know I have got to sos twice at least in the 3-4 times I've played it, and although this is not the end of the machine, there really isn't much else above this, from what I have read, and thus doing this relatively easily in a few games, tells me a lot of what I'm going to think of the depth if I was to own – sorry. Maybe I’m not impressed as much simply because of the hype of this machine.

Quoted from SquidVicious:

AB I'd love to see the technique .. are you going to the Canadian's in two weekends ?

In all honesty, I have no idea what I'm doing in Tron, other than shooting for flashing lights, indicating what is going on. I have no technique with this machine, I haven't played it that much. I have a FH, and given that, I apparently make the gem shot rather easily, which I understand is difficult for some, as this is the same (or feels the same) as the Rudy shot.

I would like to go the tourney, but my weekends are booked until Jan so close to Christmas. I do “suck” when others are watching though, no question.

#148 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

He said I sucked too much to complete them

Good grief. Who cares. If you don't suck then don't care. And if you do suck play more!

#149 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Still don't know much about the Combo shots , and you have to Be Really Quick to glance @ the DMD

on the combos you hear a strange annoying sound, that tells you you made one more shot. the thing is it doesn't play the sound all the time. confusing yes. once i made a 7 hit combo just by shooting right ramp - right loop - right ramp - right loop....

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I do “suck” when others are watching though, no question.

me too! my high scores are all done alone with nobody watching

#150 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I sure am seeing alot of posts by ignored users

If you are ignoring me, and I give you a thumbs up, does it show "ignored user" as the ID in the thumbs up list? That ought to give ya a guilt trip if it does!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Trade
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-tron-really-a-top-20-game/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.