Topic Stats

• 234 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jeremecium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

The_rules_have_changed.JPG
TRON.JPG

There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

Today I noticed TRON sitting at #19 spot. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and I've been wanting to try one out. So is it as good as the pinsiders say it is? If so, I think the PHoF is in my future. Which puts out another question, is tron worth a 3 hour drive?

#2 8 years ago

Well, not sure but strange that the IPDB ratings have it at position 101! Thought it would be way higher than that.

#3 8 years ago

I really enjoyed it when I got the chance to play it. Fast, unpredictable at times and great sound. But with pins opinions will inevitably vary so it is really up to you on whether you think it is a top 20 pin or not. I pay little attention to Ipdb's ratings as I think they are way out there and Pinside has many more reviews by people that collect and play pinball.

#4 8 years ago

I've played many hours on Tron LE and it is serious fun. Goals, music, speed, mood = it rocks!

#5 8 years ago

only played it maybe 3 times so i dunno. it was fun but i don't remember much else.

I don't think any pinball machine is worth a 3 1/2 hour drive just to play.

#6 8 years ago

The Stern LE adds an interesting twist to the Pinside ratings as there is no distinction between the LE & Pro.

#7 8 years ago

Ipdb's ratings are all wonky compared to these. POTC is around 26 here and 189 there. That is a huge freaking difference!

#8 8 years ago

I think Tron is a great game, I have played the pro and the LE and its a top 20 for me.
The IPDB ratings are generally pretty good but...I have given up paying attention to them for Stern games as they receive hate ratings on release. I prefer to go by my own experience and some of the comments on both here and IPDB.

#9 8 years ago

Is Tron(in good working order and if you haven't played it) worth a 3 hour drive? Yes. Is it worth 75 cents per game? Yes. Is it worth buying for 5 grand? No.

These are my thoughts on Tron.

#10 8 years ago

I am going to throw on my suit of armor and admit I am not a huge tron fan. I am not going to verbally defend my position because I don't wish to offend the many that do like it. I am just not a big fan. It wasn't horrible, ala TRS, just not my cup of tea.

#11 8 years ago

No. I'd go with Top 75 (barely).

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I am just not a big fan. It wasn't horrible, ala TRS, just not my cup of tea.

I am a fan, not a big fan, but I was not impressed with Tron at all, I did get the chance to play the LE version and it did nothing great for me, but it's is not a bad game either. To me, it felt more like a Ping Pong game and not a pinball.

#13 8 years ago

It is a new game so it hasn't gotten reviews from most except owners. The same happened with Avatar when it came out and I won't be surprised to see it happen with Transformers. Given time it will fall down to its rightful place, but all in all not the greatest stern. I would take it over TRS, Avatar, 24, and CSI, but I could list a bunch of sterns I would rather have.

The cab art is awesome, backglass is great, but the playfield is ugly. One thing I dislike about stern is they do not hide inserts. Unlike the old sega's and de's they leave the overall shape intact and it looks cookie cutter. The playfield artwork is bad. I liked LOTR, heck I like the artwork on the nascar I pciked up, but on tron it just looks like a bad photoshop job. Also the tron arcade cabinet looks like crap stock.The game layout is a funhouse clone which is sad since Stern (back when it was DE) already did that with tommy.

A mint tommy with topper has more stuff (blinders, bomber motors, miror) and costs a lot less. It also has better game play from where I sit, and the playfield art is much better. I am really starting to like sterns between 03-08/09, but they got really cheap. After playing TF, Tron, RS, Avatar, and IM it really shows. IM has redeeming gameplay, but tron is just not good enough to be worth it. Give it a few years and it will drop down in price just like avatar is. Right now avatar's are starting to show up for 3k and even then I still think it is overpriced.

#14 8 years ago

I like Tron a lot because the gameplay is fast. I think it is one of their best from the pins they have made in the past couple of years. The backglass is probably the thing I like the least. After a couple of beers it plays with my belly if I stare at it to long.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Socal_Steve:

is tron worth a 3 hour drive?

No, but the PHOF definitely IS!
They have an LE at Disney's California Adventure Steve. Just make sure you go when Flynn's Arcade is open- they have a Cyclone too. (They only cost a TOKEN!/25 cents!!!)
As for the ranking system, the LE is definitely top 20 material. However, rankings are somewhat biased on just a handful of plays... The pro model is a bit 'iffy, it should have it's own ranking.

I think realistically, TRON will settle in the 20-30 range eventually. (Due to the pro model reviews weighing it down.)
We still have to take into account that the code is still young- SM was the same way. I think once the final version is released THEN you can judge it.
I am still happy with my LE. Light show and music still amazes guests. It is still just as fast as the day I bought it. (Remember to wipe the rubber on the disc down with a damp rag every 100 plays... )
It is a still a keeper in my book, until I run out of room.

#16 8 years ago

TRON is top100, or 80 or so to me...
Every set of games I play this is a different experience.

#17 8 years ago

The couple chances I got to play it, definitely one of my favorite pins (probably top 1-2 of recent sterns). I hear lots of issues with that disc at the back of the machine though, so not sure I would buy one unless they had replacement parts (which stern doesn't like to do a lot).

#18 8 years ago

top 30 yes. top 20? questionable. i even own one. . i just don't think the depth is there. maybe on the LE model..god damn why couldn't they give the pro a daft punk MB?

#19 8 years ago

Not top 20 IMO, but it's a great game, especially the lit ramps on the LE, they are wicked.

The gem shot is brutal, and a poor design, it's such an important shot too...

#20 8 years ago

I think Tron is probably top 30 IMO. It's one the best Stern pins made, along with the other 3: SM, LOTR, and TSPP.

#21 8 years ago

update..stern just released a new software patch for tron?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Socal_Steve:

Today I noticed TRON sitting at #19 spot. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and I've been wanting to try one out. So is it as good as the pinsiders say it is? If so, I think the PHoF is in my future. Which puts out another question, is tron worth a 3 hour drive?

No I don't feel its a top 20 pin & definitely not worth a 3 hour drive.

#23 8 years ago

It's a decent machine, but not an amazing one. Totally not worth 3 hr drive though.

I'd place it in the 30's probably. IMO, Iron Man and Spider Man are both better machines (both in very different ways).

It's an awesome machine by Stern's standards, though, but Stern hasn't produced many really good machines (IM, SM, LotR, Tron, and a bunch of B and C-listers).

#24 8 years ago

Hmm it sounds like the Tron Honeymoon period is over and it is becoming just another game among many.

#25 8 years ago

Personally after having the LE in my home for the last 2 months I'd say no... The ridiculously tight GEM shot makes the game totally un-balanced... I fixed that on mine but even with that fixed, the game lacked the depth I was hoping it would have... and some of the 'modes' are really a joke... recoginiser mode, really... they may as well add a flipper mode... flip the left flipper to get the mode flashing, and the right flipper completes the mode... it would be just as challanging! The colour changing fibre optic ramps are excellent though, so if it's essential to have to have this in a game, then it's a must

1 week later
#26 7 years ago

Top 20 for Tron LE all day!

#27 7 years ago

This is one of those games that I wanted to like but, just found myself disappointed when I played it (the LE version). So, much so that last time I was out at CP I totally forgot to try it again. The spinning disk was the only thing memorable to me. I may consider adding it to my lineup someday if the price gets down to 3-4k for the LE. If not, I'll likely never own one. It’s a really pretty looking machine though and they hit it home run on the art. All in all I'd say it should have a place in the top 80 as someone else mentioned.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, not sure but strange that the IPDB ratings have it at position 101! Thought it would be way higher than that.

Well yeah but everything on IPDB is floating around 7.8 to 8.0 and every time someone posts a rating that changes the total score by 0.1 the machine jumps 34 spots up in the rankings. All the scores on IPDB are stupidly close together.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

update..stern just released a new software patch for tron?

Update..that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

^joking , but seriously, Tron LE should be in spot #40 if you ask me. It's not great, but it looks amazing. Still looks don't make the game fun, and play wise Tron LE was a large disappointment. It looked good on paper and in photos but it played...well..."toyish".

#30 7 years ago

Oh, and I do think that the Pinside rankings better represent the actual pinball market as well. Some of the IPDB ranks just get me scratching my head.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanleblanc:

It's not great, but it looks amazing. Still looks don't make the game fun

i'd say it's great. how many other machines play this fast and are so unforgiving with missed shots? you have to be ultra quick on the rebound, and the combo shots are fast and furious. 3 different mbs, and wizard mode is hard to reach. there may not be any 'trendy' toys that have anypart or gameplay involved, but thats what keeps the gameplay so fast. this game is easily a top 20 if we're talking about gameplay and challenge.

#32 7 years ago

^ That's not really a selling feature since most games have way more than just three multi balls.

It's not a bad game by any means, it just didn't live up to expectations, and I guess that left a sour taste in my mouth. The only reason I was so excited about Tron Pinball was because it was going to have the soundtrack from the movie and DAFT PUNK THE GODS OF ALL THINGS AWESOME AND MUSICAL did the soundtrack for the movie. The ramps on the game are cool and fast but the game just felt toyish as i said before. Maybe it could be in the top 30 but not top 20.

#33 7 years ago

It's top 20 in my book for sure. It's a top ten for me I think. Is it worth the drive? HELL YES!! Support the PHOF and say goodbye to at least 6 hours of your life whilst in pinball wonderland.

Quoted from NimblePin:No, but the PHOF definitely IS!

Word.

#34 7 years ago

Yes, I reckon Tron should be a top 20 game, but not a top 10 one.

I actually made a 3 hour train trip the other day to play Tron on the south coast of England, so I certainly think it's worth playing. I enjoyed it even more than last time I played it (when the machine was wheeled into the arcade NIB and set up in front of me.

I love that spinning disc, how it spins the ball up so that it behaves unpredictably when it is thrown back at you. The soundtrack and the lightshow whilst playing is awesome, and there's plenty of flow and some tricky shots to make. Certainly in my top 10, maybe not as refined as TSPP or LOTR, but better than anything else Stern has made in the last few years. I hope to go and have a few games on a Transformers pin that has turned up in London sometime next week, so this opinion may of course change.

#35 7 years ago

Respect others opinions as we all have different tastes; definitely top 20 for me. One respectful challenge, play Tron LE then go look at each pin in the top 20. CFTBL seriously? Cool them but the ramp hides all the gameplay. Again, opinions vary.

For me the lightshow on the ramps is killer. Watch the movie, then play the pin. When you start playing it does a wonderful job of incorporating the movie into the gameplay. The fast play, soundtrack (rocks), call outs all pull you into Tron. It's fast, unforgiving with misses, disc is challenging, and various multiballs a blast. I equate this to IM which is an equally fast game and that makes it challenging. Not deep rules. Neither of these have deep rule sets like TSPP or TZ; but so what? How many of us get that far anyway? My opinion worth only .02; owned a TSPP and respected the rule set cleverness and depth - game was not fun for me. Comment by earlier poster on Tron feeling toyish - try TSPP, toyish totally for me. This is what makes pinball fun to talk about, we all have different opinions.

For me, top 20 all day. For me so far from playing the non LE model of Transformers at Expo - Tron is way better. TF felt cluttered in the fan layout. BUT, holding out hope LE does something magical that pulls me in. I played Tron Pro first at Gameworks and based on that went all in on Tron LE. TF made me go meh not yet.

#37 7 years ago

I played Tron for the first time today. After two games I was DONE! Wasn't impressed at all. The whirling disc didn't do much for me. My Avatar pin (that most people put down a lot) FAR exceeds Tron as for excitement. Sorry Tron lovers, I did not like it at ALL!!!

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I played Tron for the first time today. After two games I was DONE! Wasn't impressed at all. The whirling disc didn't do much for me. My Avatar pin (that most people put down a lot) FAR exceeds Tron as for excitement. Sorry Tron lovers, I did not like it at ALL!!!

Tron LE is way better than Avatar LE.

Sorry Avatar owner, I don't like Avatar at ALL!!!

#39 7 years ago

It's not that impressive. Played it three times, and it was completely uninspired and forgettable.....

#40 7 years ago

Late to the thread, but I think TRON is fantastic. Super tough. Great shots. The super tough GEM shot and fairly tough CLU mode make it quite strategic.

The sound is definitely top 10 if not number 1 - no better music in pinball between the newer speakers and Daft Punk Soundtrack.

I was hanging with Andrei Massenkoff last night and put up 60M+. He played a few more games and got Portal. Was ONE SHOT from finishing it - he ended with 130M. By the end he had a crowd of onlookers. Too cool.

EDIT: Check it out:

#41 7 years ago

Lack of shots, no modes, endless boring shots to start multiball, loops too narrow, ramps too narrow, annoying sounds, animations that go too quick, SDTM loop shots.... Aint the best game that Stern has released.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

SDTM loop shots....

Really???
That sounds like your game wasn't set up properly.
They always return to the flippers on mine... Recognizer and ZUSE targets sure, I can see that happening, but the outlanes are silky smooth to the flippers when set to the correct pitch. (Unless it touches the pops on the right...)
How else are you going to repeat loop shots for combos?
With all that negativity are you sure you didn't forget to put in a "P'" when you created your account?
(RG(P')R) Welcome to the Pinside! (At least here on the forum side! )
Plus- the ramps are really generous at the openings, almost two balls wide for the left 3(!) for the right...
I bet with some more play on it you will see the flow and your review, come around for the better...

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

(RG(P')R) Welcome to the Pinside!

clever

Not best Stern but up there: SM, LOTR, IM, Tron LE, yes then maybe TSPP followed closely by BDK

#44 7 years ago

Another code update in 2012. Be patient it will be worth it

#45 7 years ago

Definitely a top 20. Fast, fun shots with good flow. The music and lights are probably the best out of ANY pin IMO. Daft Punk soundtrack was made for pinball. Makes for some VERY intense games. And Tron may not have ridiculous depth like LOTR or TSPP but so what? It's not exactly easy to get to Portal. This game is an absolute keeper. Certainly has that "one more game" attraction.

#46 7 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be making my way to the phof soon.

#47 7 years ago

I guess the thing to ask now is...Is Transformers really a top 15 machine???

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Another code update in 2012. Be patient it will be worth it []

stern insider? saw ya posted something about ac dc as well earlier

#49 7 years ago

My list of Best Sterns IMO:
1. TSPP
2. LOTR
3. SM
4. TRON
5. POTC
6. IM
7. BDK
8. T3
9. RBION
10. Avatar

TRON isn't really a top 20 game and let alone this list was sooooo hard to make. Like I said earlier, it's at least a top 30 game.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from AbacusMan:

I guess the thing to ask now is...Is Transformers really a top 15 machine???

Please don't hijack a thread.

I only played the pro model but wasn't as impressed with it as I expected to be. Don't think the LE would change my mind but... Maybe I went in with too high of a bias. Music is great (I have the movie soundtrack) and I think it looks pretty too. I just didn't think it was as fun or as fast as most other people seem to state. And the machine I played was brand new and leveled correctly. But I am not a big fan of Funhouse and never played Tommy either. I would rather have an IM. Maybe it will be better with the new code.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
There are 234 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside