(Topic ID: 184764)

Is TPF now the premiere show in the US?

By gweempose

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Expo '16 Registration (resized).PNG
    17629721_10213335413043953_8562977324350003189_n (resized).jpg
    snowman_over (resized).jpg
    biggertexas_1024x1024_1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I would say yes. Expo, while not the largest, used to be considered the premiere show due to all the seminars, industry people, and big announcements. It seems, however, that Expo has been on a steady decline for years, while TPF has been on the rise. I know so many people that went to TPF for the first time this year, which further illustrates how TPF is now perceived as something that's not to be missed. Conversely, I know a lot of people who have no desire to go back to Expo anytime soon.

All shows are different. TPF is a good all around show, but so are many other shows.

If you want to play great condition games, then VFW is the premier show.
    If you want industry people, then expo still wins that (but TPF may have taken over this year)
    If you want a swap meet then allentown seems to be it.
    If you want the true hobbyist experience and energy then MGC is it.
    If you want to compete then replayfx/pinburgh is the answer.

No need to crown a single premier. they all offer distinct things and none of them can do it all, but they each can be the best at one aspect.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

If you want to go to the best show in North America for *playing pinball*, the Ann Arbor show is it. The variety and quality of games is simply the best in the country. And with limited ticket sales, there's no lines to play games. As a pinball player, it's the best show. With 350 restored games and a complete parts and work shop on site, everything stays running. No other show can offer this.

Your show is great Clay, but just so it is not misleading to others, there is 100% always a line to play the top A listers during normal show hours. While you do a nice job limiting tickets, a large chunk of your games are not the popular ones, and hence the popular ones always have lines and often long lines.

p.s. since you sell out every time, I dont think you need to come into every show thread to toot your own horn. It does not help you and reality is that many shows will surpass yours for quantity and quality of game play. For example, # of games people actually want to play combined with quality is much higher at quite a few shows. What you do well Clay is the diversity of good playing games. Play off that aspect, but no need to chime in everytime someone starts one of these threads.

#61 7 years ago

Just wanted to say that if anyone desires more pinball fix, that www.midwestgamingclassic.com is just around the corner (April 7-9).

I have been to quite a few shows (MGC, TPF, PAPA, VFW) and MGC still takes the cake hands down (for me) due to just the shear hobbyist level of energy and excitement. The show features some of the best quality personal games in the public space, great diversity, fun with all the other gamers (counsel, vid, board, cosplay, etc). One of the great things about MGC is that you are also likely to be able to party with some of the greats if you bring a game and get to be part of the best afterparty ever

Like TPF, MGC continues to get better and better every year!

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Don't bet on it. I hate to say it, but every year, Mike angers more and more vendors, volunteers, helpers, etc., I think the time will come when enough of them simply say f' it, and they'll be done. What will happen to Expo when that happens will be interesting to see.

After last year, I was told that there may be a competing show next year... I have promised to bring games if that competing show gets started and I know quite a few others that have also committed to helping if it gets legs.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

It would NOT make sense to run on the same weekend as Expo or near it

I disagree. To me it makes perfect sense to run 1 week prior to expo or even on the exact same weekend as expo and nearby to get cross pollination the first year. Slightly better weather but still fall season when things have slowed down. Pretty easy to garner the support of the local hobbyists if you treat them well (a low bar to hurdle given the current treatment). Get the hobbyists involved and watch it grow. The first year would be tough. The second year would be better. By the third year you would see the true ramifications.

Anyone going into the idea and not concerned with directly competing with Expo is doing it wrong IMO

I hope someone in the Chicagoland makes a go for it. It seems every year more people come away with a foul taste. That taste wanes over time, but the following year the tastes returns and can be worse than the year before. I think many people would liek to see a show in Chicagoland flourish.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-tpf-now-officially-the-premiere-show-in-the-us?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.