(Topic ID: 184764)

Is TPF now the premiere show in the US?

By gweempose

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Expo '16 Registration (resized).PNG
    17629721_10213335413043953_8562977324350003189_n (resized).jpg
    snowman_over (resized).jpg
    biggertexas_1024x1024_1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

As an outside observer, there certainly seems to be a lot more going on at TPF than Expo.
    There's also a litany of complaints that seem to follow expo around every year. I can't say I've heard anything but positive things about TPF.
    The big perks to expo are the Stern tour, some of the seminars, and a handful of rare/one-of-a-kind pins. The sheer number of reveals, homebrew pins, seminars, vendors, and other special showings at TPF seem to go beyond what is available at expo.
    Expo seems to have been in decline for a long time, while TPF has been growing. TPF is more of an enthusiasts show, while expo is more of a trade show. Trade shows in general have been in decline for a while. Enthusiast shows have been growing, which has a lot to do with the passion of the show runners and attendees.

Agree with you there. Expo has always been an industry show for the manufacturers. TPF seems more for the player or buyer.

There are other shows I'd like to go to before Texas. PAPA Championships, Pinburgh and there many closer ones like Cleveland and Southern Fried. Plus I like to attend LAX and Expo.

Maybe someday I'll attend TPF but it's not on the radar right now.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

What seems to separate normal regional shows from being global events are the industry seminars and new games being shown as well as breaking news. That's what gets Pinside buzzing and elevates any show. TPF definitely rivals Expo in that regard now.

All this talk about TPF being better than Expo seems to disregard last Expo had quite a few important industry announcements. B66, DI, playable Aliens, the infamous start of American Pinball. The difference I would say is the announcements coming from TPF were better received.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It does seem it's the premier show for manufacturers to premiere new games.
    Not sure if a limited entry weird format tournament is worthy of being a circuit tournament though - those are supposed to be premier tournaments! Maybe they'll premiere a new format next time.
    Premier.

3 premier, and 2 premiere

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

But that's a part of the problem. Expo has become mostly a one dimensional show for manufactures. Texas Pinball Festival has it all with a well rounded show and arguable one of the best free play areas in the country. (Texas collectors put us Colorado boys deep into second place. )
    I'm guessing but attendance at TPF has to be much more people than Expo.
    If I were CEO of one of the manufacturing company's, I'd change things up and begin targeting my new game release announcements at TPF and then follow up at Expo as a later show. Expo exists mostly out of tradition at this point.

The tourney at Expo seems to be better but I honestly haven't heard much about the tourney at TPF.

Like I said, I would much rather go to PAPA or Pinburgh than TPF right now but maybe I'll get to go in the future and see what the hubbub is about.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-tpf-now-officially-the-premiere-show-in-the-us?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.