Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8688.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
Lucious.jpg
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 8 years ago

Seems like the OP of this thread really loved this machine in his first post, i for one could care less about beating the machine i just enjoy it for what it is. Maybe he just likes the beauty of the machine and unique ramps and shots. So MK6PIN play one a little longer and make your own choice on this one.

#52 8 years ago

Good players will bore quickly with TOTAN. Perhaps one of the nicest cabinets and best themes in pinball history but the game code itself is just too shallow. It's just shoot the gold inserts mode after mode. I would say 30 plays are exciting. Not a great return for the money IMO.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It sucks! My EMs are fast enough to kick your ass in 30 seconds or less. Like I said different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, whatever. I've played plenty of EMs in my time and they all blow. I could eat a ham sandwich and drink a friggin' coke between shots. You must be old as dirt to defend those dog pins so ardently. Stroke this.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

I just played it at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, and really enjoyed playing it!

So I missed you by a day....I was there yesterday.....

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Seems like the OP of this thread really loved this machine in his first post, i for one could care less about beating the machine i just enjoy it for what it is. Maybe he just likes the beauty of the machine and unique ramps and shots. So MK6PIN play one a little longer and make your own choice on this one.

Hey Larry, pinchamp summarized why the pin bores me..."It's just shoot the gold inserts mode after mode." The ease of getting to the wizard mode isn't a big deal to me either. Still worth having in a larger collection...

#56 8 years ago

I love mine. Add a sub to it. Color it up with LEDs. Get the scimitar topper and play it in the dark. The lightning flsshes just add to the overall effect.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Jenk540i:

You have a very nice collection and it would fit in well. You know I'm right down the road so if it's local and you decide against it and it's still available let me know!

Thanks for the kind words.....I've enjoyed my lineup, and can't imagine getting rid of any of them...Arden!!!...man, I've got to get caught up!!!

TOTAN just really felt and played different to me, compared to anything I've played before....it sort of caught me off guard...did seem easy, but the look of the machine, combined w the ramps, drop magnet, pop up out lane cages made it a fun play.

Would definitely need to hit it again before buying one, and the views expressed here really are appreciated...definitely seems polarizing, w majority not convinced on staying power, which definitely will be a major factor for me....thanks...mark

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Agreed...thanks...mark

#59 8 years ago

It's a great game.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

definitely seems polarizing

I think thats typical of all games in the secondary market that are high priced.

#61 8 years ago

I guess if you liked it the first time you played it then you are at better odds for liking it than those that didn't.

Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Yeah, whatever. I've played plenty of EMs in my time and they all blow. You must be old as dirt to defend those dog pins so ardently. Stroke this.

Yeah, and I've played most every DMD game and this one blows. In fact there are Sega games that are better.

Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

I could eat a ham sandwich and drink a friggin' coke between shots.

And GLWT!

#62 8 years ago

I really am enjoying this Cap'n Navidad vs O-din battle, lots of witty quips being slung around

#63 8 years ago

Btw is this the only pinball game with a...

Argh I can't figure out how to spoiler tag

#64 8 years ago

Thank you Cornelious

Lucious.jpgLucious.jpg

#65 8 years ago

Looks awesome ! Gameplay is a turd !

#66 8 years ago

TOTAN is a fun game IMO, and it is beautiful in pretty much all aspects (cabinet, playfield, translight, dots - especially with ColorDMD). The sound is great too. I especially love the sitar that plays the bonus countdown (it's possibly my favorite bonus countdown ever). However...

I've heard on more than one occasion that the machine was developed with rules in mind for newbs, to try to win new fans over to pinball. I suspect that this is the reason for the audio help constantly being offered, and the ease in making it through some modes, including the ability to wish modes away. I suspect that the easy rules are what kept the machine at its $3,000-$3,500 price tag for so long while people were going nuts over MM before the remakes hit. TOTAN didn't really take off in value until it just seemingly exploded in value 2-3 years ago (I suppose with every other pin too, now that I think about it). I feel it was fairly priced before this latest value explosion for the fun it offers and the entire beautiful package that comes along with it.

I bought the game when it was a lot more rationally priced because for just over 3 grand you got a game where you can battle a big blue genie at home in your gameroom, and that seemed kind of unique and fun. Now that it's worth twice as much, at these elevated prices I think I'd buy a lot of other games before TOTAN. I don't want to sell it to profit on this new found value because I really do like it, and when you want to battle a big blue genie and rescue a princess in your gameroom, there's really no other choice. I'm also holding out hope (but not holding my breath) that Rick will someday have someone revisit a bunch of rulesets on these classic Williams/Bally games.

#67 8 years ago

TOTAN is just like Monster Bash to me. I love them both, as long as they are in other peoples houses. They can't stand up to playing over and over, but they are a blast in the short term. If you have a huge collection, they are great. In smaller collections they wear out their welcome.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

TOTAN is just like Monster Bash to me. I love them both, as long as they are in other peoples houses. They can't stand up to playing over and over, but they are a blast in the short term. If you have a huge collection, they are great. In smaller collections they wear out their welcome.

This. TOTAN could be a lot better if the game didn't allow you to collect jewels/beat the modes via one scoop shot for each and every mode. Snoozer!

#69 8 years ago

TOTAN could really use the CCC treatment. It's just too easy to beat up. I owned one about a year and did enjoy it.

#70 8 years ago

TOTAN is a beautiful game and a very fun pin but like all mode based pinball machines which tend to be the early 90's to present, not all but most will get boring fast, they tend to be kinda easy and once you finish the wizard mode several times then the fun dissipates and either you have enough cash and space to keep these games untouched for months or years then re visit or you sell them for new pins. I mean all games can get boring but I've found that the 80's pins are better keepers due to simple rules and quicker games, on average. JMO mind you and I have gone through the best of the 90's DMD's and Sterns, all gone. Fire power, not going anywhere.

#71 8 years ago

This game reminds me of an ex girlfriend I use to have; a 3 dressed up like a 9

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

I do consider it a keeper but it is hard to justify the money that they go for.

So is the shit coming from stern.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

This game reminds me of an ex girlfriend I use to have

Sounds like my ex also. Except I could never put her on free play.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just had my first chance to play this title yesterday, and must admit, it was a blast....
Unlike anything I own or have played in the past....how many consider this a keeper in their lineups, or was I just imagining how cool this thing was?.....thanks...mark

Yes it is amazing. It would hold up well in a collection of 2+ games. Need a mix of hard vs easy games to offer variety! The game is on my must buy list! Hoping pps remakes it.

#75 8 years ago

So some people love it , and some people don't.

Like every other game ever made.

Sorry OP, you'll just have to decide for yourself.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

TOTAN isn't worthy of carrying MB's jock strap.

#77 8 years ago

I don't know why so many are dumping on TOTAN. I've only played a few games on one and can say that it's hardly the worst game out there that some make it out to be. It's a great game with a cool original theme, great art, great sound, fun toys, and fun shots. Best ever - no. Plenty of fun games have shallow rules so that's hardly a reason to poop on a game. It's not worth the going price for me but I would say that about a lot of top rated older pins.

#78 8 years ago

I see it this way: TOTAN is my nice friend who tells me I'm smart and good at the things I do. After I've been beaten up by the two mean girls (FT and TZ) I come running back to TOTAN to be reminded that I don't fail at life and can in fact play pinball.

#79 8 years ago

If TOTAN was a $4K or less game I'd be all over it and would love to have it in my line-up, I think it's an absolutely beautiful piece of artwork. However, at the prices TOTAN is selling for these days it just doesn't have the same value as other pins in that price range - - at that level a game not only needs to have an incredible art package like TOTAN but also the lasting playability (deep rule sets, many multiball modes, challenging Wizard modes, great audio call outs and music, etc.). I can say it was one of my favorite games as a novice player.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I beat the wizard mode on TOTAN the 1st time I ever played it. Not much fun to play and no challenge makes this one of the most overrated games on pinside for me. The game is beautiful with great dots, but the game play is lacking.

You beat wizard mode the first time you played it. Doubt it. I have owned the game for a while and each time I get to wizard mode it kicks my ass with no auto ball launch. I can never seems to beat the genie. I'm not the best player but definitely not the worst. TOTAN is one the games that just keeps calling back for some more after every game. Yes I have to much money in it. It's to expensive. But I know it will boot up rather then a new in box stern

#81 8 years ago

I got the wizard mode on location and had no idea what to do. It lasted about 10 seconds.

The game isn't really that easy to beat, but then I've seen how some of you setup your games at home. Tight outlanes...extra balls at three replay points...five balls...and then games are too easy and shallow.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I got the wizard mode on location and had no idea what to do. It lasted about 10 seconds.
The game isn't really that easy to beat, but then I've seen how some of you setup your games at home. Tight outlanes...extra balls at three replay points...five balls...and then games are too easy and shallow.

right exactly all my games are on factory default.

#83 8 years ago

Great sounds/audio If I could find one reasonably priced I would buy it... but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Would be nice to see them remake TOTAN and add some deeper rules.... I would be in for that.

I think AFM is next on the docket, but they are remaking MM, why do AFM, they are fairly similar... go for something different like TOTAN,

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

Its a nice machine to have in a larger collection. But the game is a standard fan layout, and similar but better games can be had for the money.

Any recommendations?

#85 8 years ago

TOTAN.....It's not a bad game but it's not a great one either. It looks great.

And that's why it gets the "haters" because it's priced too high for what you get (IMHO). For me TOTAN is a top 50 pin (not top 12) and I'd consider one around $3500 but nothing more. So I'll never own one and could really care less about that.

#86 8 years ago

If you are a relatively good player, you aren't going to like TOTAN for long. It looks fabulous, but the rules are a little weak sauce after a bit. It becomes easy to beat, with a very weak wizard mode, and a flaw that keeps it out of tournament play.

#87 8 years ago

Yes, most definitely.

#88 8 years ago

Standard setting the Wizard mode is pretty easy. As said above it's a great looking/sounding game, maybe the best DMD ever, but it's more a show piece than a play piece. So yes, it's worth it on Pinside

Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't know why so many are dumping on TOTAN. I've only played a few games on one and can say ....

I don't know why everyone thinks they're right, even with limited knowledge on a subject

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

If TOTAN was a $4K or less game I'd be all over it and would love to have it in my line-up, I think it's an absolutely beautiful piece of artwork. However, at the prices TOTAN is selling for these days it just doesn't have the same value as other pins in that price range - - at that level a game not only needs to have an incredible art package like TOTAN but also the lasting playability (deep rule sets, many multiball modes, challenging Wizard modes, great audio call outs and music, etc.). I can say it was one of my favorite games as a novice player.

This! Yeah, the price is insane. It is a great game for beginners and is what got me into pinball.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

You beat wizard mode the first time you played it. Doubt it. I have owned the game for a while and each time I get to wizard mode it kicks my ass with no auto ball launch. I can never seems to beat the genie. I'm not the best player but definitely not the worst. TOTAN is one the games that just keeps calling back for some more after every game. Yes I have to much money in it. It's to expensive. But I know it will boot up rather then a new in box stern

I don't doubt that at all. I'm not an "A" player, but I'd beat the genie at least 2/3rds of every game when I played mine. And I set all my games to papa/tournament mode: no extra balls, wide outlanes, etc. TOTAN was just too easy. Just wish I would have held on to it longer for the price inflation to catch up....

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

TOTAN could really use the CCC treatment. It's just too easy to beat up. I owned one about a year and did enjoy it.

This is a great idea. How about TOTAN 2.0 in the same manner that Dutch Pinball is releasing BOP 2.0?

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

My statement is true and it was on factory settings 3 ball play. I had no idea what I was doing and then the wizard mode was finished. I am not saying TOTAN is a bad game, it's just not a game for me. For those new to pinball or not the best player it is a good choice. If you love the game....great. I like the anticipation and excitement of trying to get to the wizard mode and beating it. I own Shadow for 15 years and have beaten it once. Will never forget how awesome that experience was hearing the final quote. Beating TOTAN felt like the victory was given to me.

#93 8 years ago

I "beat" the wizard mode on AFM and Shadow the first time I ever played them. Doesn't mean the games suck.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I "beat" the wizard mode on AFM and Shadow the first time I ever played them. Doesn't mean the games suck.

Quite right but it does affect its longevity, after a long game, yeah a very fun game and completion of the wizard mode it kinda kills the desire to replay. I played the shit out of my AFM and one night finally finished the game, sold it within 2 weeks.

#95 8 years ago

Had TOTAN for three months. Sold it and do not miss it. It is a cool game and the art is fantastic. The shots are limited and one ramp kills it long term.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

My statement is true and it was on factory settings 3 ball play. I had no idea what I was doing and then the wizard mode was finished. I am not saying TOTAN is a bad game, it's just not a game for me. For those new to pinball or not the best player it is a good choice. If you love the game....great. I like the anticipation and excitement of trying to get to the wizard mode and beating it. I own Shadow for 15 years and have beaten it once. Will never forget how awesome that experience was hearing the final quote. Beating TOTAN felt like the victory was given to me.</blockquote.

I honestly think its a amazing game. I just don't have it in my to beat that dam genie. and it shouldn't be that hard to collect 7 jewels even with the ruby. I just keep going at it. but I do respect your input on the shadow. I just got a shadow a couple months ago and its far from game ready, missing parts ect. but I was wondering how deep the game play is. People have told me it's a fun game. You owned it 15 years and only beaten it once. I got me a challenge.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

This is a great idea. How about TOTAN 2.0 in the same manner that Dutch Pinball is releasing BOP 2.0?

It's already been discussed, with FH 2, TOM 2, and CV 2. IMO, FH is solid as is, and is a classic, CV is weak until you get to the great wizard mode that changes the second time you get there, if you can, and TOM, is a little boring in the wizard, but all in all a much better package than TOTAN, rules wise. TOTAN with a rule update could be a super pin.

#98 8 years ago

I played it a bunch on pinmame thought it was one of my favs. But I played one at a show and first game I reached 2nd grand champion or something. Seemed way to easy. Way different in person.
It still has some neat features and the end of ball bonus sounds and lights are perfect.
Oh but it is a JPop game. I do not want it in my house now anyhow. Just bad karma.
It would throw anyones Feng shui down the pooper.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I've enjoyed my TOTAN for many years and it continues to be a strong keeper in my collection.
Have fun arguing everybody.

+1. I don't find myself playing my TOTAN all that frequently, but when I do finally step up and play it, I have such a great time that it reminds me exactly why it is such a strong keeper. To me, TOTAN is just a different kind of pin and even though it's one that I'm sure won't appeal to everybody, mine will not be leaving any time soon.
~Steveo

#100 8 years ago

I used to enjoy TOTAN. Now the very site of a Jpop game fills me with the urge to defecate.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.95
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-totan-really-that-much-fun/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.