New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 136036)

Is TOTAN really that much fun ?

By MK6PIN

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 154 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MontyB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8688.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
Lucious.jpg

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Just had my first chance to play this title yesterday, and must admit, it was a blast....

Unlike anything I own or have played in the past....how many consider this a keeper in their lineups, or was I just imagining how cool this thing was?.....thanks...mark

#2 5 years ago

No I thought the same thing bought one and kept it all of 2 weeks

#3 5 years ago

I just paid $7500 for a pretty nice one along with a new PF from CPR. I couldn't stand it at first but I started playing it on the I-Pad and I had to get one. It is a keeper as far as I'm concerned. Its not like you are going to get a new, better pin from JPOOP

#4 5 years ago

We love it here. Different strokes. I'm grateful for all of the variety in pinball. The hobby would get dull pretty fast if everyone liked exactly the same thing.

#5 5 years ago

It is a keeper for sure, that is why they keep going up in value.

#6 5 years ago

No.

#7 5 years ago

Its a nice machine to have in a larger collection. But the game is a standard fan layout, and similar but better games can be had for the money.

#8 5 years ago

TOTAN is a very polarizing game. Admittedly beautiful, it may suffer in a small collection because of the shallow rules.

I think the game is gorgeous and a ton of fun. I'd love to own one, but the price is more than my mom will let me spend.

#9 5 years ago

There's one on location near me and it's one of my least favorite pinball machines I've ever played. I just can't seem to find much fun about it.

#10 5 years ago

By the way, there is a long list of higher-priced pins that generate the same polarized and impassioned responses. Anyone want to discuss TZ? Tron? WOZ?

#11 5 years ago

Like most 90's pinball machines great for the first 20 or 30 games then becomes boring quite quickly. I just had STTNG in the house for the second time and it was damn fun, however in less than a month I sold it, Funhouse and WW will never leave.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

No I thought the same thing bought one and kept it all of 2 weeks

I kind of sensed it might be a " novelty" type appeal.....just very different from what I'm used to playing.....

In Vegas for a few days, and hit the pinball hall of fame...had a reasonable amount of machines working well....

Man, BTDK, sucked badly for me...MET was more fun than AC/DC for some reason, but spent a lot of time on MB...even though walked away not liking it a lot.

Guess I just have this Alien theme on my brain lately.....can't get excited about buying another title....

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

By the way, there is a long list of higher-priced pins that generate the same polarized and impassioned responses. Anyone want to discuss TZ? Tron? WOZ?

I actually have and love all 3 of those....keepers for me....

#14 5 years ago

TOTAN is my favorite game - it has great flow, gorgeous art and the best music of any pin. I love it because it's mode-based, rather than score-based and tells a story, complete with interesting characters and exotic settings. Some say it's too easy to "beat," but I say that's not the point - it's always enjoyable to take the journey.

#15 5 years ago

no. couldn't get it out of the house fast enough. lasted about 2 weeks for me, too.
gets old really quickly. do not understand the following and price it commands, but whatever.

#16 5 years ago

I had a TOTAN. Fully restored it then sold it within a week of finishing it since I no longer enjoyed playing it.

I still don't miss it.

#17 5 years ago

I have sold every game I have restored for some reason. I just keep the PF in case I ever need it.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

TOTAN is my favorite game - it has great flow, gorgeous art and the best music of any pin. I love it because it's mode-based, rather than score-based and tells a story, complete with interesting characters and exotic settings. Some say it's too easy to "beat," but I say that's not the point - it's always enjoyable to take the journey.

What a great explanation of TOTAN!
To answer your question, yes it's a great pin. By the looks of your collection, it will fit in nicely.

#19 5 years ago

I just played it at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, and really enjoyed playing it!

#20 5 years ago

It will never leave my collection, traded it once and was lucky enough to get it back like 6 months later.

#22 5 years ago

TOTAN helped me fall in love with pinball when I played it on the Pinball Arcade. However, after playing plenty of different games in real life, it's one of my least favorite "A" titles. Different for sure, and beautiful to look at. Not my favorite to play.

#23 5 years ago

TOTAN has great artwork and a unique theme. Unfortunately that's where the positives end. Game gets old very fast.

#24 5 years ago

I owned a very nice brassed-up TOTAN for a few months. It was fun but I don't really miss it. That said, absolutely gorgeous machine.

#25 5 years ago

I don't see how anybody likes this game. Different strokes for different folks...

#26 5 years ago

To the op we have some of the same titles we must like the same pins. I picked of TOTAN about 2 months ago and I originally loved it just a beautiful game and it is a lot of fun to play especially cause I'm not a good player and I can have some long games on it. With that said the novelty has worn off a bit and I'm not playing it as much anymore. I found when I picked up the shadow and TZ I was solely into them for months and months before the new pin feel wore off. I still think it's a keeper but if I did start selling my collection it would leave before TS and TZ.

#27 5 years ago

Looks amazing but I've never thought it's gameplay was worth the $$ it commands.

#28 5 years ago

Here’s my question to all the nit-wit haters: if TOTAN is shit, then why is it priced at $6,500 and up for an average machine? Riddle me that, geniuses. Hands down – TOTAN is a Mt. Rushmore pin – along with IJ, TZ and AFM. Bright, fast and fun!

Quoted from o-din:

I don't see how anybody likes this game. Different strokes for different folks..

..just like I don't see how anyone likes the POS EMs you drool over. Slow. Garbage.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

..just like I don't see how anyone likes the POS EMs you drool over. Slow. Garbage.

At least I have played that TOTAN machine on a few occasions but won't ever again. It sucks! My EMs are fast enough to kick your ass in 30 seconds or less. Like I said different strokes for different folks.

And just because some suckers pay $7000 for a pinball machine doesn't mean it's that good.

#30 5 years ago

IS IT FUN...YES, IS IT GREAT ARTWORK...YES...IS IT EASY...YES, CODE IS WEAK

#31 5 years ago

Only a few haters bashing it compared to an average of 500 pinsiders on here a night.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't see how anybody likes this game. Different strokes for different folks...

TOTAN has a lot in common with Gottlieb wedgeheads of the 60's and early 70's like Buccaneer, Flying Carpet or Sing Along. It's all about accomplishing objectives - you vs. the machine, requiring quick reflexes and Precise flipper skills.

I think it's a polarizing game because it takes such a different approach to pinball, compared to other modern DMD's.

#33 5 years ago

I think it's a great game, but for the money I think you can get a better pin

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

It's all about accomplishing objectives - you vs. the machine, requiring quick reflexes and Precise flipper skills.

When I played it I found no challenge of keeping the ball in play and it was not exciting at all. Boring mostly. Last time I just walked away during a game.

Quoted from TopMoose:

TOTAN has a lot in common with Gottlieb wedgeheads of the 60's and early 70's

Maybe those that collect wedgeheads would like it.

#35 5 years ago

I've enjoyed my TOTAN for many years and it continues to be a strong keeper in my collection.

Have fun arguing everybody.

#36 5 years ago

As others have said ... It looks great, but gameplay opinion is mixed. I personally don't see it as a keeper, but to each his own.

#37 5 years ago

I'm sure there are people that this style of game fits them perfectly. However I remember back in the late 90s that nobody was playing the one that was in the local arcade. Maybe that's why there are so many nice examples available today.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

TOTAN has a lot in common with Gottlieb wedgeheads of the 60's and early 70's like Buccaneer, Flying Carpet or Sing Along. It's all about accomplishing objectives - you vs. the machine, requiring quick reflexes and Precise flipper skills.
I think it's a polarizing game because it takes such a different approach to pinball, compared to other modern DMD's.

Or you can just hit RAMP RAMP RAMP FIREBALL and repeat.

#39 5 years ago

Amazing eye candy, wild ramps, nice color dots with ColorDMD, play? Meh.

I keep mine in the lineup to pay homage to Pinball MikeD's great work...

http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=120

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Here’s my question to all the nit-wit haters: if TOTAN is shit, then why is it priced at $6,500 and up for an average machine? Riddle me that, geniuses. Hands down – TOTAN is a Mt. Rushmore pin – along with IJ, TZ and AFM. Bright, fast and fun!

Looks like someone is butt hurt that lots of people think that a pin he owns is overpriced and sucks.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Looks like someone is butt hurt that lots of people think that a pin he owns is overpriced and sucks.

Lots of people ? maybe 5..... lol

#42 5 years ago

I really like the game, too bad I'll never afford one.

Great art, fun presentation, good job with the theme. I'd love to have one in my collection.

#43 5 years ago

I beat the wizard mode on TOTAN the 1st time I ever played it. Not much fun to play and no challenge makes this one of the most overrated games on pinside for me. The game is beautiful with great dots, but the game play is lacking.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Lots of people ? maybe 5..... lol

Maybe only 5-6 in this thread would go as far as to say it downright sucks, but there are at least twice that number who think that it is "meh" at best.

As DMD pins from the 90's go, the gameplay on TOTAN is below average. The Artwork, theme and the fact that it's easy are why they sell for fairly high prices in my opinion. Far too easy to get to the wizard mode in this game.

#45 5 years ago

You have a very nice collection and it would fit in well. You know I'm right down the road so if it's local and you decide against it and it's still available let me know!

#46 5 years ago

Every machine is meh at best ,you can only change up the playfield with toys and ramps so much with the size of a playfield being so limited. I have owned over 80 pins and they all get boring at some point. I think more like Totan than not. I would take a classic Williams pin over any of the newer titles out lately.

#47 5 years ago

I do consider it a keeper but it is hard to justify the money that they go for.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Every machine is meh at best ,you can only change up the playfield with toys and ramps so much with the size of a playfield being so limited. I have owned over 80 pins and they all get boring at some point.

That may be true, but I think the point that many have made in this thread is that TOTAN becomes meh at best a lot faster than most pins.

#49 5 years ago

No, it is not really that much fun. Not really.

#50 5 years ago

The game is definitely one of the best looking games ever made, but both the software and the shots on the playfield are subpar relative to other games of that era. Looking at the list of wpc-95 games, the only one I can think of that shoots worse is Junkyard, as it lacks satisfying shots relative to its peers. Ruleset wise, it's also towards the bottom of those games. Lookswise, it's probably the best though. I know that when I play it, it's just play the couple modes that only require one shot (magic carpet and cyclops? been a while) and then wish away all the others and you're in the wizard mode. Not to say it's a bad game, it's fun for a game or two every once in a while.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside