• Boring 1 vote
    6%
  • It's okay 5 votes
    28%
  • I don't know 5 votes
    28%

(18 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Debating whether to purchase a nice top card for 500. What are the pros/cons?

#2 5 years ago

Pros: it’s a late model wedgehead. People seem to like late model wedgeheads. It’s got a lot of stand up targets to shoot at.

Cons: it’s got a lot of standup targets. I think it’s generally accepted that drop targets are more fun to shoot at. Nice art package, but it has polarizing gameplay. Personally, I’d rather have my 2001, or similar drop target game than a Top Card, but that’s largely subjective. You like what you like.

At $500, it should be fully working and shopped. EMs can be a tough sell sometimes.

Play it first. If you like it, go for it. Otherwise, there are plenty more fish in the sea.

#3 5 years ago

I like stand-up targets just as much as drop targets. That said, when properly shopped it's one of fastest playing wedgeheads out there. It's a very fun game. The only downside is that it's fairly easy to light the specials. Once that's done, it's all over.

#4 5 years ago

If it's in good condition, I'd grab it. Very good player.

#5 5 years ago

I just went thru one for a guy and I played it a bit.

For me it wasn't anything to write home about. The game play and goals were less than spectacular and was rather easy to keep the ball in play, and I certainly wouldn't want to own one or look at it every day, but it was his only machine and he likes it.

The pro is $500 is not the end of the world to spend on a working game as it should be easy to move at that price if you decide later it's not for you.

#6 5 years ago

Buy a game!

#7 5 years ago

Always made better by widening 1 or 2 switches so there's always a pool ball that screws you over.

#8 5 years ago

Whatever you do, don't LED it. It will give you a headache when playing.

I don't consider it a late model wedge-head. To me, late models had the larger coin door with the coin chutes integrated in the door, not the cabinet like Top Card.

#9 5 years ago

The thing I really like about "Top Card" is that the ball is always in fast motion.
Very lively gameplay, and most of them have one or two targets that are a bit harder to hit than the others.
The angled return lanes are a fun feature. Getting an up/down in one of them when the special is lit is awesome. Agreed, it has a simple objective, but that doesn't detract from it as a player. My brother has one set up at his house, and it's a fan favorite whenever friends come over.

#10 5 years ago

Those single player Gottlieb's kept players coming back for "one more play" many times....

#11 5 years ago

You can get a Cap’t CArd same price 10x the fun or a Target Alpha

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

If it's in good condition, I'd grab it. Very good player.

It's probably Todds. He has a video on Youtube. Messed up lockdown bar, and PF touchups, but overall not a bad looking game. Complete with red legs.

#13 5 years ago

I thought about Todd’s Top Card just for the backglass. Would have to wait for another with a much better playfield...Not sure if it would edge out any of the other 30 Gottliebs set up, but it’s a good player if properly tuned up

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

It's probably Todds. He has a video on Youtube. Messed up lockdown bar, and PF touchups, but overall not a bad looking game. Complete with red legs.

Quoted from Phillips88:

I thought about Todd’s Top Card just for the backglass. Would have to wait for another with a much better playfield...Not sure if it would edge out any of the other 30 Gottliebs set up, but it’s a good player if properly tuned up

Yep I think it is his

#15 5 years ago

I have one and I found it's a lot more fun than it looks. It's fun to see how many specials you can rack up after you blast the ball all over the playfield to knock out all the lights. You should be able to get at least $50 off for the holey lockdown bar.

#16 5 years ago

Topcard was the first pinball machine I ever purchased. It was upstairs in a barn and I had a hell of a time getting it out of there. I had never played one before and was disappointed at first because it was slow as molasses. But after I got online and read Clay's guides and completely went through it, it played fast and is a great game. Very similar to Target Pool, another favorite of mine. I've since owned about 80 machines, and while many of them came and went Top Card will always be a keeper. Would love to get one with a great playfield though. The yellow playfields in Gottliebs of that era really don't hold up well.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

Topcard was the first pinball machine I ever purchased. It was upstairs in a barn and I had a hell of a time getting it out of there. I had never played one before and was disappointed at first because it was slow as molasses. But after I got online and read Clay's guides and completely went through it, it played fast and is a great game. Very similar to Target Pool, another favorite of mine. I've since owned about 80 machines, and while many of them came and went Top Card will always be a keeper. Would love to get one with a great playfield though. The yellow playfields in Gottliebs of that era really don't hold up well.

Hey "Topcard". How've you been?

#18 5 years ago

Todd Tuckey, TNT Amusements in PA has one for sale. He has a video just put up on You Tube that demonstrates gameplay.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Todd Tuckey, TNT Amusements in PA has one for sale. He has a video just put up on You Tube that demonstrates gameplay.

99% sure TNT's is the one the OP is referencing .... Todd's EM games for sale usually don't last long, doubt he would reduce the price cause of the holey lockdown bar as the backglass is real nice and it has a back door and plays.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Hey "Topcard". How've you been?

Hey JR,

Doing well, but slowing things down a little as the house is full, work is crazy busy and the projects continue to pile up. Wouldn't have it any other way though!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from rocketman:

99% sure TNT's is the one the OP is referencing .... Todd's EM games for sale usually don't last long, doubt he would reduce the price cause of the holey lockdown bar as the backglass is real nice and it has a back door and plays.

Todd is selling this as a basement bargain. Worth about $250. In his video, I believe it is sold as is, with no work on it. He points out that the Playfield has putty or Bondo on it in places. Maybe worth less.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-top-card-a-fun-game-to-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.