Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by YZRider926
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 12.44.52 AM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    87526-twentieth_century_fox (resized).jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Reading a story by Dean Koontz yesterday, I was saddened and a little chagrined by the description of one character as immature, "a case of arrested development," with evidence of this being that he his living quarters contains "six pinball machines." Koontz brings up that detail twice, both times disparagingly.

I always assumed owning one is cool, with six being six times as cool. Do "normal" people see us as actually giant, emotionally stunted children?

#2 3 years ago

Who is koontz? Never heard of him

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Do "normal" people see us as actually giant, emotionally stunted children?

No just geeks. And for the most part they are right. Ever been to a pinball convention? I went once. Once.

87526-twentieth_century_fox (resized).jpg87526-twentieth_century_fox (resized).jpg
    #4 3 years ago

Yeah, normal people think we’re insane.

#5 3 years ago

As far as I remember, Dean Koontz is famous for being a bad writer. Shows like Family Guy have used him as a punchline for "worst best-selling author."

#6 3 years ago

#7 3 years ago

The funny part is I delivered some pins to Deans place in Newport quite a few years ago.

#8 3 years ago

Wish I could capture some of the looks non-pinball (boring)
    people give us when they see a house full of pinball machines
    for the first time.

Yeah, they think we're bonkers. Visit some of these folks homes
    and their places are *empty*, often having a huge TV, couch
    and little else. Methinks that is a dismal existence.
    Steve

#9 3 years ago

I don't care what that person thinks. Neither should you. Enjoy the hobby you want. Playball.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

for the first time.
    Steve

My favorite thing is when someone comes over for the first time and says "So what do those things cost, like $800?"

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

My favorite thing is when someone comes over for the first time and says "So what do those things cost, like $800?"

Just answer “yes” or they will start telling you what else you can do with “that kind of money”. Hint: if you are not my financial advisor, I do not care what you think I should do with my money. I earned it and I will decide how to spend it, thank you.

#12 3 years ago

There's a 1965 documentary called "Primitive London" about the city's nightlife, where pinballers are depicted as antisocial, obsessive deviants.

#13 3 years ago

Actually, watchers is a very good book

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

There's a 1965 documentary called "Primitive London" about the city's nightlife, where pinballers are depicted as antisocial, obsessive deviants.

Thats close to correct. The average person doesn't have 3 pinball machines in their bedroom, or in their house period.
    It's a Niche Sport. Really Niche.

#15 3 years ago

Reading a story by Dean Koontz yesterday, I was saddened and a little chagrined by the description of one character as immature, "a case of arrested development," with evidence of this being that he his living quarters contains "six pinball machines." Koontz brings up that detail twice, both times disparagingly.
    I always assumed owning one is cool, with six being six times as cool. Do "normal" people see us as actually giant, emotionally stunted children?

Sounds like this guy has closet pinball envy. Maybe his wife capped him at 2.

#16 3 years ago

Given what I’ve seen from “normal” these last few months, I say yes, and thanks for the compliment!!!

#17 3 years ago

Yes. Haha.

#18 3 years ago

My neighbor is the most uptight ex-hippie and can’t pass up the chance to make a snide comment any time he sees me move a game or sees the lights from my basement. Otherwise a great guy. I can’t understand why people give a shit.

#19 3 years ago

Because it’s not what everyone else is doing. Want to waste 40-50k on a fancy truck you don’t need? No one will bat an eye. Spend a third of that to fill your basement with pins, and you’re a lunatic.

#20 3 years ago

If its about the Joy, that the games bring, I find people I just meet, to share in that fun with curiosity.

If the conversation is about money, I tend to steer away from the topic, since "money" produces
    behavior these days from some, that I tend to shy away from.

So, Im either a big kid, or a cool old man. Both with issues.

#21 3 years ago

I don’t know who the hell Dean Koontz is , so who cares what he thinks . Maybe if he had some pinball machines I’d know who he was but he doesn’t and I don’t . Dean Koontz is obviously a nobody , screw him . ... and also most pinball collectors are insane .

#22 3 years ago

The people who say were crazy for liking pinball are really jealous because we found something we are happy with.

They wish they could do the same.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I don’t know who the hell Dean Koontz is , so who cares what he thinks . Maybe if he had some pinball machines I’d know who he was but he doesn’t and I don’t . Dean Koontz is obviously a nobody , screw him . ... and also most pinball collectors are insane .

He’s a writer. The type who puts out ten books a year and you can by them at the supermarket. I thought he had pinball machines so maybe this is some weird inside joke or something...

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

He’s a writer. The type who puts out ten books a year and you can by them at the supermarket. I thought he had pinball machines so maybe this is some weird inside joke or something...

Does he have Fabio on the cover of his books ?

#25 3 years ago

Aw, dont shoot the author! I know books arent read much but Dean is 74, and has had many Best sellers.
    105 Novels, 450 Million in sales.
    Not quite Stephen King, but heres a clip showing screen adaptions made into movies.

I personally did not enjoy his writing, but as I have been working too hard on not getting a book written, admire his perseverance.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#26 3 years ago

https://gamerant.com/interview-author-dean-koontz-talks-storytelling-video-games/

A quote from this interview:

"We have an arcade in the bottom floor of our house, with old pinball machines--Haunted House, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Old Chicago--and with one two-seat console player loaded with 8 classic games, so once in a while, not often, I get half an hour to slip into the arcade and play Ms. PacMan. If I ever retire, I might become totally game crazed... "

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

for the first time.
    Steve

Hell, I thought I was bonkers when I was looking for an empty space for #2 pin. And hit me. I had been sleeping on the couch for several years and go to sleep to the big screen. Feeling bonkers became history as I gave the mattress to the Salvation Army, converted the dresser and chest of drawers in to parts cabinets. I also decided I did not want to inherit my mom's china hutch loaded with what-nots.

I now have 8 pins shoveled in and everything seems perfectly normal The only thing to look at are some pictures on the wall. Everything else has some sort of manual function going on.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Granted, Tim Pierce, is selling guitar tutorial services, instead of raking out a few chords, and maybe this is an office but I think it is his living room.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 12.44.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-25 at 12.44.52 AM (resized).png

Pins are no different than a couple of guitars and a drum kit filling a room. And then we have the model train guys. Model railroading can be an isolated hobby. You have the lone golfers or fishermen out in quite solitude. Anything can be a solitary hobby. And pinball parties get a lot of social action going on.

#28 3 years ago

Nobody I know knows that I have pinball machines. It’s a dark secret.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

https://gamerant.com/interview-author-dean-koontz-talks-storytelling-video-games/
    "We have an arcade in the bottom floor of our house, with old pinball machines--Haunted House, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Old Chicago--and with one two-seat console player loaded with 8 classic games, so once in a while, not often, I get half an hour to slip into the arcade and play Ms. PacMan. If I ever retire, I might become totally game crazed... "

Haha that totally makes sense now

#30 3 years ago

Yes, that’s what normal people think. You did not know?

#31 3 years ago

I have seen some folks literally afraid of Pinball Machines. They come over and look at the games but won't touch them! Won't go near them! Even if you invite them to play they won't engage. Whats wrong man, afraid of a little fun? I don't get it. Heck double flip, I don't care, just enjoy the game. But nope no joy.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, normal people think we’re insane.

But then they buy $60,000 fishing boats....and that is normal!

#33 3 years ago

I don't really care what disparaging things someone else says about certain hobbies or something that I enjoy. What they say isn't going to make me enjoy it any less. And if they don't enjoy it, then they're just missing out.

Anyone remember when superheros were laughed at years ago?

Now Marvel is pretty much the biggest movie studio on the planet, with a film in the #1 spot of top grossing films, and #2 spot for number of movies in a franchise (second only to James bond).

While pinball isn't necessarily a direct comparison, just in the time I've been in the hobby, I've seen it explode in popularity. While the current world-wide crisis has put a damper on locations and a shows, it seems like the home market is still very healthy, especially with the addition of home game rentals.

Yes, there are some downsides in that pins are big, take up a lot of space, and that certain ones can be expensive, but the same could be said about the car hobby.

#34 3 years ago

Don't live your life worrying about what strangers think of you.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Checks out.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from mooch:

Ok so our instincts are correct, he's just jealous that his lineup isn't as robust as he wants, and he doesn't have enough time to flip.
    Mind you, as a trio of games go, HH, EBD, and OC is pretty super.

#37 3 years ago

It's only a fictional story. My neighbors, friends, and most coworkers think my pins are awesome though they don't own any. I hope hope all hotel caretakers aren't perceived as in The Shining.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Don't live your life worrying about what strangers think of you.

I don’t live my life worrying about what family thinks of me. Everyone else has NO shot.

#39 3 years ago

Koontz is a hack. Always has been.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from Adipocere:

Good to see you read the whole thread

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Adipocere:

I haven't read all of his books as you have. A read a few. I thought that some were awesome and some I didn't enjoy so much.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I wish I could say that about "Mr. Murder" It was a chore to finish.

#43 3 years ago

This seems like an abbreviated exert. If this character has no family, no social life, and the only thing in his living quarters is six pinball machines and a mattress surrounded by candy wrappers and other food garbage, that would be immature.

Owning pinball machines in itself does not mean anything to one's maturity level.

#44 3 years ago

I've read a couple Koontz books. They were OK, if pretty light.
    Anybody who looks down on pinball as a hobby, F 'em.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I read Watchers a few years ago. It's the only Koontz book I've read and it was decent. I've accumulated about 75 different Koontz books from buying bulk lots this year and just started reading a second one last night. With 500+ million books sold, I assume he tells some good stories, but his writing style is really putting me off.

#46 3 years ago

IMHO, not really caring about what other people think is part of the foundation of pinball, whether playing, collecting, homebrew or working in the industry. Either you get pinball or you don't. Some people are just joyless in their lives and they choose to crap on those who have found joy and enjoyment in their hobby or work or . . . .

Right now pinball collectors are having a much easier time staying sane during this pandemic than most others.

#47 3 years ago

Most of of neighbors are pretty apathetic about it. They’re not rude, but they really don’t seem to care which is good with me.
    My neighbor’s wife rolls her eyes when we each trailer our cars to the track, but that’s about it.

And I must be of limited intelligence because I’ve enjoyed a few of Koontz’ books.

#48 3 years ago

I got into pinball in order to mingle with the rich and famous, join the in-crowd and be the envy of my neighborhood. For some reason these things never quite panned out and now, after having read through this thread, I think I may have miscalculated. I thought everybody knew what a Medieval Madness or Metallica LE went for these days.

#49 3 years ago

We all "nerd out" over something.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

IMHO, not really caring about what other people think

That is true of every hobby. If it brings happiness to you. That is what is important.

LTG : )

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-what-they-think-of-us?hl=therudyb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.