6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have come to the realization that I much prefer pre-DMD SS pins; I really have no desire to own newer DMD stuff. Went to a friend's house last night that has quite a collection; all high-end DMD, A-list pins, and while I of course had a good time, I couldn't help but miss my pre-DMD machines. Maybe I'm just in denial since I'll never own machines like him? I had the opportunity over the years to grab one or two newer machines, but passed. Anyone else out there in my boat or am I just an oddball?

#2 6 years ago

First thank you for the refreshing candid honesty

I used this as my own personal excuse for the first couple years. I do like some classic games from time to time. In the long run I desire deep rules that do not stale quickly.

I think it was more for me anyways that they felt so far out of reach that I would never own even one.

Persistence and work ethic are wondrous things .

Some people are the same way with EM machines. Seriously if it is truly your passion then embrace it. This will save you thousands upon thousands of dollars in the long run.

Have fun whatever you play
    Life is short glad to see your finding enjoyment after all that is what it is all about.... Living.

#3 6 years ago

A lot of us fall in love with the games we grew up playing. It's a nostalgia thing. Doesn't sound weird when you think about it a little. Unfortunately for my wallet, I got hooked in the mid 90’s playing pinball….so my favorites are the WPC A-Lister’s that I can’t afford right now. In due time.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

A lot of us fall in love with the games we grew up playing.

That is absolutely correct.

I tend to not notice the DMD animations very much when playing. DMD/alphanumeric same difference 99% of the time. Depends on the rest of the experience.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I tend to not notice the DMD animations very much when playing. DMD/alphanumeric same difference 99% of the time.

+1....don't really get to enjoy unless watching someone else play with you....then you can watch while they play. Believe Heighway Pinball is onto something putting the LCD above the flippers in the playfield.

#6 6 years ago

+1....don't really get to enjoy unless watching someone else play with you....then you can watch while they play. Believe Heighway Pinball is onto something putting the LCD above the flippers in the playfield.

+2!

I think that's part of it for me; I really don't notice the DMD while playing so it's a little lost on me. I do love the toys that go along with them though......

#7 6 years ago

You're not an oddball. I much prefer 1980's Williams machines to the newer DMD Sterns in general. The titles are cool and they are a lot of fun to play. So many pinball "firsts" to come from that era. It's like owning history!

#8 6 years ago

I've actually come to the opposite conclusion lately, and now prefer newer stern games. All machines are fun, but I find the deeper rules and more features make for a better overall experience on the newer games. I have TSPP, lotr, and tav and now find myself wanting a tron pro and/or X-men LE. To each his own.

#9 6 years ago

I love DMD animations, so I am the exact opposite.

#10 6 years ago

I prefer a mix of both. Cookie cutter A list collections bore me. You see 100's of them and they all have the same games. It's refreshing when you see someones collection that's diverse with EM's, early SS, International manufacturers, Segas, Gottliebs, with couple B/W titles and 1 or 2 new stern machines. That's a well rounded collection and you know the person collects based upon what they like, and not by what's popular or what will impress the pinball community.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

IIt's refreshing when you see someones collection that's diverse with EM's, early SS, International manufacturers, Segas, Gottliebs, with couple B/W titles and 1 or 2 new stern machines. That's a well rounded collection and you know the person collects based upon what they like, and not by what's popular or what will impress the pinball community.

Sounds like your collection

#12 6 years ago

My collection too.

#13 6 years ago

*l-i-v-i-n'

#14 6 years ago

I've tried to cover different manufacturers and types with my little collection... Bally, Williams, DE, Sega, Stern, Capcom, P2K, and an EM. Other than Twin Win, everything is a DMD, but that's because my nostalgia is with those pins. I wasn't exposed to the pre-DMD games, but have enjoyed the few that I've been able to play. I'd actually love to have a BTTF at my house so that I could play it in an environment where I could hear it and understand more.

As far as DMDs go, my mom can't play and watch the DMD at the same time, so she'll make me play so that she can watch. I mostly know what is going on with the games I've had awhile so I tend to not pay attention except to glance at the score or ball #, but I just got NGG and find myself watching the DMD more now with them. Love my taunting gofers.

#15 6 years ago

I like playing them all. Each genre,manufacturer,solid state boardset,display type,EM,sound system,ect. each had their unique challenges and solutions from a pinball designer perspective. I like seeing both the great (as well as the not-so-great) solutions that different companies came up with to make a game that was marketable to the general pinball playing audience.

Having said all that, my favorite era of games is 1975 to 1985 since most "market changing" advances in pinball history were made during that time period (EM --> SS design). I mean DMD and stereo sound are great and all but they really don't have the heart-and-soul factor like a great playfield design or shot layout does.

One other thing to mention is that if it was not for "video games taking over" arcades in the 80's, pinball would have probably have never been so eager to push the limits of what a solid state pinball could do in 1980 with things like multiball,stereo sound, or even later alpha-numeric and dot matrix displays.

I love the pinball designs they came up in this time period. One reason my favorite designer is John Trudeau is that the concepts he brought to his games like Spirit, Hollywood Heat, Judge Dredd and CFTBL were so well done with the technology and budget he had to work. None of his games are "the best ever" so to speak but I really think his execution is among the best and most "out of the box" insight that any designer ever had with the possible exception of Mr. Ritchie.

#16 6 years ago

Simple fact is that modern pinball is a combination of video(DMD style) and pinball as it was initially designed. Pinball has evolved into moving toys and and non productive down time(watching a DMD skit) instead of actually trying to score the maximum points before the ball drains all the while being able to see the ball at all times. And, no ramps to deliver the ball right back to the flipper slowly inorder to make the next shot. I, for one, like to see the ball from start to finish with no break in the action. This makes the so called simpler games of the past more challenging to play and actually easier to understand.

#17 6 years ago

Of course my collection is going to be catered to what I like. I don't buy into the hype. Buy and own what I enjoy and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. Right now my collection is 50% Zaccaria. Which isn't the way i'd normally go, just the way it is now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 9.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 19.95
    $ 12.95
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside