Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by nicoga3000
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

250749.jpg
    41S8YcRXGML.jpg
    $_12.JPG
    IMG_4798.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

just wondered if the Pinnacle liquid Souverän wax would be ok to use on a playfield. ? i mean, its just pure wax but with some fortified polymers in it. being a liquid it would be nice and easy to apply. mill wax has solvents in it anyway. but just checking. thanks.

#2 9 years ago

If it's a liquid, then it will actually just be a bunch of silicone, then the answer is no.

If it is a "cleaner" wax, then no.

If you can afford a $$$$ pinball machine, then you can afford to buy a can of good paste wax, like Blitz.

#3 9 years ago

Lots on pin collectors i know use gerlitz carnauba guitar wax.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If it's a liquid, then it will actually just be a bunch of silicone, then the answer is no.
    If it is a "cleaner" wax, then no.
    If you can afford a $$$$ pinball machine, then you can afford to buy a can of good paste wax, like Blitz.

they (pinnacle) do a pure carnauba paste wax as well.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

they (pinnacle) do a pure carnauba paste wax as well.

Of course "pure Carnauba wax" is as hard as a rock, so if it really is labeled as such, avoid it at all costs.....

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Of course "pure Carnauba wax" is as hard as a rock, so if it really is labeled as such, avoid it at all costs.....

"paste".... isnt that softer to apply than the rock hard pure wax.

damn that stuff smells nice too.

#7 9 years ago

I always thought if it was liquid then id pass. But i may have been influenced by vid

#8 9 years ago

Avoid the liquid waxes as they contain a lot of water.

#9 9 years ago

Paste wax contains petroleum distillates. But what can you do? A little petrol never hurt anybody.
    I bought a bottle of Mill wax a while back but shied away from using it because of something I had read. But I am finding on older playfields that aren't clear coated that stuff is perfect.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

"paste".... isnt that softer to apply than the rock hard pure wax.
    damn that stuff smells nice too.

I"m just teasing you.

There are 10,000 different "waxes" sold around the world.

Why be a Genia Pig just because you have some mystery wax in the garage?

Just stick with something great and time tested, like Blitz and leave the silicone & cleaner waxes to the used car lots.

#11 9 years ago

So, which waxes are best for which era of games?

Do petroleum distillates only affect things while the wax is still malleable, and is it inert after it dries?

I've been using meguiar's gold class carnaubua paste wax (which contains petroleum distillates) to coat metal parts after polishing--will it affect neighboring plastic after it dries?

#12 9 years ago

Mill wax contains ether. That's all I know.

#13 9 years ago

The label says kerosene. Close enough

#14 9 years ago

I use this wax, has been great on all my machines. Smells great too. I also use these other cleaning supplies listed here

http://www.pinballsupernova.com/cleaning.html

IMG_4798.JPGIMG_4798.JPG
    #15 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I"m just teasing you.
    There are 10,000 different "waxes" sold around the world.
    Why be a Genia Pig just because you have some mystery wax in the garage?
    Just stick with something great and time tested, like Blitz and leave the silicone & cleaner waxes to the used car lots.

bastiche!. (joking) : P

theres a mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax. in a paste. doesnt sound bad, other than being a cleaner as well.... wondering if its a little too harsh for a PF.

here is it

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

I use this wax, has been great on all my machines. Smells great too. I also use these other cleaning supplies listed here
    http://www.pinballsupernova.com/cleaning.html

IMG_4798.JPG 199 KB

i saw that today. and yeah, smells sensational.. wish i could wash me body with that.

but its rock hard ? how you would get any of it out of the tin.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

Mother's is a PITA to remove from the playfield and the end results were just decent in my opinion.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Mother's is a PITA to remove from the playfield and the end results were just decent in my opinion.

what other?

whats wrong with this stuff. other than the price... lol

41S8YcRXGML.jpg41S8YcRXGML.jpg

#19 9 years ago

No wax for DP PF's. It's just not needed, and after N2 and buffing with a dry paper towel, I have balls firing off ramps. For non CC'd PF's I use it, for all WPC's and Sterns, N2 and buffing.

And for anyone getting ready to argue the inevitable again, all those routed WPC's you have that were played to death for years in the hay day that weren't waxed down on location, why do you think you need to protect them now in home use for the 0.05% use in relation you could ever put on them in the rest of your lifetime.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

i saw that today. and yeah, smells sensational.. wish i could wash me body with that.

Follow the instructions. Get an applicator pad, moist it with warm water (ring it out very well), then it helps scooping the wax out of the tin. This stuff works great for me. I usually do about 2-3 coats and my playfield a are fast as hell after.

#21 9 years ago

Someone on here recommended the Collinite 840 pre-wax cleaner versus using Novus 2 for play fields. After using it for awhile now, I agree that it's the way to go - Collinite 840 pre-cleaner then Doublecoat Wax.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Mill wax contains ether. That's all I know.

And smells freakin' terrible! I won't use it just based on that.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

And smells freakin' terrible! I won't use it just based on that.

Some of the older playfields are alcohol sensitive, meaning it reacts with the lacquer on it. In trying to clean up and polish a rather dirty old EM, I gave it a try and had very good results. I normaly use Meguiars Carnuba after an alcohol cleaning on newer playfields.

#24 9 years ago

Anyone try P21S...???.....heard it was good....I'm new and about to clean/wax for the first time..............Joey

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Paste wax contains petroleum distillates. But what can you do? A little petrol never hurt anybody.
    I bought a bottle of Mill wax a while back but shied away from using it because of something I had read. But I am finding on older playfields that aren't clear coated that stuff is perfect.

Yep. All waxes contain petroleum distillates. Can't be avoided.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from ledge:

theres a mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax. in a paste. doesnt sound bad, other than being a cleaner as well.... wondering if its a little too harsh for a PF.

NEVER use a "Cleaner Wax".

Cleaner Waxes are abrasives.

#27 9 years ago

I'm sticking with the two coat Novus 2 combo plus 3 or so coats of Meguiar's Carnauba Wax. Works fine for me.

Chief likes it too.

250749.jpg250749.jpg

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

NEVER use a "Cleaner Wax".
    Cleaner Waxes are abrasives.

thanks, will stick to the pure.

4 weeks later
    #29 9 years ago

I have heard that Johnson Paste Wax is the best product to use…can anyone confirm or deny?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I have heard that Johnson Paste Wax is the best product to use…can anyone confirm or deny?

I have never used that. I have used both Mothers Pure Carnauba wax, and Blitz. I have to say, Blitz is awesome! definitely using that from now on. Also, I have found that simple green is much better for removing black ball swirls than alcohol. Use it with a magic eraser. The swirls come off much faster and you don't risk taking up any of the paint in the process.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have never used that. I have used both Mothers Pure Carnauba wax, and Blitz. I have to say, Blitz is awesome! definitely using that from now on. Also, I have found that simple green is much better for removing black ball swirls than alcohol. Use it with a magic eraser. The swirls come off much faster and you don't risk taking up any of the paint in the process.

I would be careful with Simple Green.
    It is capable of removing paint, especially with a magic eraser.
    I have a 5gal jug I mix up for cleaning purposes,
    I have had paint removed from an old floorjack I was degreasing, All I used was diluted simple green and elbow grease.

The return springs for the jack were soaking in diluted simple green and the paint bubbled and scabbed off just like paint stripper.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have found that simple green is much better for removing black ball swirls than alcohol.

When something works 'really well' at cleaning a painted surface, usually it is due to removing
    the paint that is holding the dirt rather than the dirt from the paint.

I'm not trying to come off as a know it all,
    Just be careful when using chemicals on a painted piece of wood.
    cheers!

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from motorbreth77:

I would be careful with Simple Green.
    It is capable of removing paint, especially with a magic eraser.
    I have a 5gal jug I mix up for cleaning purposes,
    I have had paint removed from an old floorjack I was degreasing, All I used was diluted simple green and elbow grease.
    The return springs for the jack were soaking in diluted simple green and the paint bubbled and scabbed off just like paint stripper.

When something works 'really well' at cleaning a painted surface, usually it is due to removing
    the paint that is holding the dirt rather than the dirt from the paint.
    I'm not trying to come off as a know it all,
    Just be careful when using chemicals on a painted piece of wood.
    cheers!

All I know is, I have used both (alcohol and green) on two early SS games (Big Game and Strikes and Spares) I definitely saw some paint show up on my magic eraser when using alcohol, and didn't see anything but dirt on my eraser when using Simple Green. I didn't go crazy and try and rub super hard, I just used a back and forth motion and immediately wiped the area down with a dry microfiber towel, and it was spic and span in no time.

Do you have a preference on removing those pesky ball swirls? I am still new to this stuff, so I am always looking for new tips

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do you have a preference on removing those pesky ball swirls? I am still new to this stuff, so I am always looking for new tips

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/19#post-1762257

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

All I know is, I have used both (alcohol and green) on two early SS games (Big Game and Strikes and Spares) I definitely saw some paint show up on my magic eraser when using alcohol, and didn't see anything but dirt on my eraser when using Simple Green. I didn't go crazy and try and rub super hard, I just used a back and forth motion and immediately wiped the area down with a dry microfiber towel, and it was spic and span in no time.

Hey if it works and ya dont see paint, use it.
    I was just letting you know that simple green does have the power to remove paint which surprised me as well.
    I thought it was just a environment friendly mild cleaner/degreaser.

As for any tips on ball swirls and playfield cleaning/repair,
    read Vid's guides. (Posted above...) -Dude is legit...

#35 9 years ago

Simple Green has proven to be amazing for cleaning my WCS94 that I'm working on. For what it's worth, don't let things soak and you should be OK.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-wax-ok-to-use and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.