(Topic ID: 8164)

Is this too much battery acid on a board.

By the96stang

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinmike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BatteryHolder.JPG
Capture.PNG

#1 7 years ago

Im looking at my dragon and I am just wondering if this means repinning it will not work. I have a good amount of leakage.

Capture.PNG

#2 7 years ago

It's still savable, really not bad at all, but you need to get on it quick. That battery must come off ASAP before it gets down into the connectors and really starts to tear things up.

#3 7 years ago

I agree, not bad at all. Look everything over carefully, the corrosion can skip some areas and affect stuff in places you wouldn't suspect. You're probably fine and it will be very limited damage, but you never know.

#4 7 years ago

Can anyone send me a link of what I should replace it with?

#5 7 years ago

Looks quite salvageable, if that's the extent of damage. (BTW, it's not acid.)

#6 7 years ago

What is it? What do I do to salvage it?

#7 7 years ago

Do I put anything on the acid?

#8 7 years ago

You can wash it with white vinager and a toothbrush followed by a good alcohol cleaning.

#9 7 years ago

As StevenP correctly noted, it's not technically an acid...It's alkaline which is a base. Think back to your chemistry days...what do you neutralize a base with? Acid!

So, get you some vinegar (an acid) and slightly dilute it with water. Pour it in a cookie tray with enough depth and soak the board in it. Scrub any of the alkaline corrosion off with a toothbrush. Rinse thoroughly with water and then blow out with a compressor or air can and let air dry afterwards.

You want to make sure you get moisture out from between the pins and underneath the ICs.

Edit: D'oh beat to the punch by RWH

#10 7 years ago

what do I replace the battery with?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

what do I replace the battery with?

A remote battery holder, i.e. a 4 cell AA holder from Radio Shack with a blocking diode in the fourth (upper) spot.

#12 7 years ago

Can you show me a link?

#13 7 years ago

It sounds like you still haven't read clays guide yet. I would get on it. Has all of this info in detail. Here is a link to the battery section. Battery holder and diode are both available at the shack. Assuming you have a soldering iron as well

www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#battery

#14 7 years ago

This is from Clay's Repair doc. You can get them from Radio Shack. Don't forget the blocking Diode. They're tricky to solder in without melting the plastic holder - do it quickly. Solder the + (red) and - (black) leads directly to your circuit board.

BatteryHolder.JPG

#16 7 years ago

Where can I get a diode?

#17 7 years ago

Again read clays guide from the link I sent. Gives you the diode number. Also like I said EVERYTHING is available from RadioShack for that. Ground your boards while you have the soldering iron out too.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

Where can I get a diode?

They stopped selling diodes years ago. They were replaced by the much higher performance Biode, which are actually made of living tissue (grown from stem cells). They sell them at plant nurseries and drug stores that specialize in biotech. Google "rtfm" for a store near you.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

Where can I get a diode?

Radio Shack has diodes for a quick replacement if you don't want
to order online and wait.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
€ 8.40
$ 5.00
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Art Prints
$ 209.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 59.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside