(Topic ID: 168743)

Is this the solution to Help with pinball theft?? TRACKR!!

By toasterman04

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TRACKRR (resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

So i have sadly seen on here pinsiders having the misfortune of having their pinball machines stolen. I currently have 4-6 machines on route and am constantly worried about on growing legs one day. I have heard of it being discussed of putting GPS in each machine, but my turn off of that was having to get a cell number to activate the GPS stick, and the monthly fee...

I was on facebook, I finally succumbed to activating an account, and saw this advertisement.... it looks perfect for a pinball machine, and my key ring, and my wallet... hell i might attach one to my kids backpacks and maybe even my kids.

Has anyone heard of these before??

#2 7 years ago

TRACKRR (resized).pngTRACKRR (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

www.thetrackr.com

#4 7 years ago

you need to hide one inside each machine.

#5 7 years ago

this is NOT a GPS tracker

check the details

only work if a smartphone is in the same area

#6 7 years ago

Problem with with these..they are really a tracker. I checked them out a couple months ago..and don't quite remember all the details.

I think how it works is order to get a GPS location..the tracker need to come in contact with another device (another tracker) that is connected to a Blue Tooth phone...to transmit the location.

The tracker itself doesn't have the ability to connect VIA GPS

I 'think' that's what I remember.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

this is NOT a GPS tracker
    check the details
    only work if a smartphone is in the same area

does it just tell you if you're getting closer to it? it seems like it doesn't actually pinpoint the item, and relies on other users to help locate your item?

#8 7 years ago

So your saying it will only help you find your keys if you lost them in the couch... but if you put one in your pinabll machine and it is two states over it wont 'Trackr" it???

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

So your saying it will only help you find your keys if you lost them in the couch... but if you put one in your pinabll machine and it is two states over it wont 'Trackr" it???

Its not using GPS, it is using bluetooth..... In highly populated cities, it would be less of an issue than more rural areas. But yeah, without people being within 100ft of your machine (and using gps on their phone a sharing location), you are never going to see it.

#10 7 years ago

ohhhhhh.... well that sucks.... i guess it's another.. if it sounds to good to be true... it is...

#11 7 years ago

From the website:

If an item goes missing, the TrackR app records its last known location on a map. When another user of the TrackR app comes within a 100ft range of your lost item, you will receive a GPS update of where your item is.

Yep, it relies on other users who have the app installed and need to be within range of the device (100ft, which isn't much).

It doesn't sound particularly useful for trying to track something.

#12 7 years ago

Yeah..
    Your keys..wallet...purse...backpack...etc.

If you leave your wallet at the bar...the app on your phone will notify you once the trackr is disconnected from your phones BT.

In the case of pinball machine stolen from location.

First you would need to know it gone. Then you would need the pinball machine to somehow get in the range of another trackr device. If that happens you'll get a ping on the last known location.

Quoted from toasterman04:

#13 7 years ago

If the thief has the TrackR app running, this would work great.

#14 7 years ago

I think the best way to prevent theft from location would be to make the game difficult to break down. You could put lock nuts on the inside cabinet side of all the leg bolts so that you have to get into the game in order to take the legs off. Also adding Head bolts if the game doesn't have them.... Simple stuff like that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-the-solution-to-help-with-pinball-theft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.