(Topic ID: 214374)

Is this the next (or final) phase for a pinhead?

By Russell

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jorge5240
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180519_092334 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092346 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092412 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092431 (resized).jpg
    6319158A-2BA9-478D-B81A-1ABB7D07CFD1 (resized).jpeg
    B4877453-5549-4A57-B6FD-86E5A0D8810B (resized).jpeg
    B2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpeg
    71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg
    FBF8EF77-AFA5-4CD8-B41D-4C6C6C22EF97 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Russell.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Recently, I seem to have fallen out of love with the hobby. I can’t decide if this is just temporary, represents a new phase of my pinball hobby, or if I’m just done and in denial.

I think maybe I had accumulated too many pins (was up to 14), and the fact that they are basically unplayed except for myself and the occasional party seems wasteful.

Maybe it’s just the cumulative effect of multiple small disappointments with the hobby lately.

For example:
    I recently bought an Escalera, which was super expensive, and it turns out I can’t use it for my stairs, so that was disappointing.

I didn’t get into Pinburgh, which was becoming a fun ritual each year, that is sort of disappointing.

Other stuff...no interest in recent themes. Bailed on Houdini, no interest in POTC, lukewarm on Alice Cooper, and trying hard to balance my interest in KME’s first design and the terrible theme. No interest in any of the upcoming rumored themes (Toy Story!?!) Just not excited.

Whatever, maybe these have nothing to do with it.

I find myself not even getting excited about upcoming events, I haven’t even gotten a ticket to our local show, which I normally go all in on.

Even the local monthly tournaments don’t have the appeal they once did.

I actually sold pins to make room for a foosball machine. (Kids and wife loving it, so that was a win.). I’m thinking about selling more to make room for ping-pong or something else.

Anyone else gone through this? My current plan is to reduce my collection quite a bit, maybe down to 5-8, then reassess.

#9 5 years ago

Definitely the most fun I ever have in the hobby is at events, hanging out with friends. Lately, it’s been just playing at home. I think I’ll attend a few upcoming local events, see if I can find the spark. Meanwhile, I’m slimming down my collection. Sold 2 yesterday!

#19 5 years ago

I have never really had enough hobby time to spend working on games. My free time in the evenings is pretty limited.

#35 5 years ago

Ironically, I sold Skateball and Mars Trek yesterday.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Are you liking TNA still?

Sort of. Definitely the game I’m playing the most, but nothing like what I was doing even a few months ago. What do you think it’s worth. It has all the options, including shaker, butter cab, lighted rails...

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Sounds like time for a break. If you are on the eastern side of the US you might be getting some "seasonal affective disorder" . I call it cabin fever or enough already winter!
    If you have 14 pins, you definitely have the nack for this hobby.
    Maybe leave things for a bit and then reasses?

I’m in Colorado. The one thing we have plenty of is SUN.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I've been quitting this hobby since 2006.

Maybe this will be me, too. We’ll see.

#51 5 years ago

I may sell it. Gotta think about it. Haven’t even load the new Co-op code yet.

#57 5 years ago

For me, it’s not about collecting, or fixing stuff, or traveling to big tournaments.

When i have the most fun is when I’m hanging out with the Denver crew, playing dollar games. I need to get up there soon to reconnect.

1 month later
    #83 5 years ago

So, here’s what I ended up doing...

I sold 9/14 pins, including TNA...I know, I know, that may have been impulsive.

Then, I bought a foosball table, a ping pong table, and a dart board. Then, I bought TWD LE and IMDN LE. So, I currently have 5 pins at my house, 2 at my Dad’s house down the street. Pretty happy with the reduced lineup. All good games that have essentially no maintenance issues.

My kids have spent WAY more time enjoying the rec room. Even my wife loves playing foosball and ping pong. My whole family is enjoying the new setup much more than a room packed full of pins.

This type of change may not be for everyone, but so far, I have no regrets. And, I’m still in the hobby for now, just in a new phase.

71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Adding some diversity is a good way to shake things up and keep the family involved. Five pins is still a good mix.
    Nice choice on the foosball table, BTW.

Thanks, I’m also liking the ping pong table.

B2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpegB2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpeg

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

I totally get what you're saying. I spend most of the time in the basement by myself playing pinball. I think it may be time to reduce soon and get something fun like a ping pong table. Does this get played the most now by your family?

Yes, ping pong is definitely the most popular.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that tells me you are far from the final phase
    Glad you found some things to freshen up the lineup/game room and your are enjoying it again (with family)

I agree, this just feels like a new phase. I’m curious if this “phases” thing happens to everyone, or if it’s just me.

I started with a basement full of arcade games. Then, transitioned to pinball. First, I sought out highly ranked games, mostly Bally/Williams. Then, I had a brief system 11 phase. Next, I got into rare and unusual games, including NIB from new manufacturers. Now, it may look like I’m in a NIB/HUO Stern phase, but I think it’s really just looking for low maintenance games.

Ping pong.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Russell.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-the-next-or-final-phase-for-a-pinhead?tu=Russell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.