(Topic ID: 214374)

Is this the next (or final) phase for a pinhead?

By Russell

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jorge5240
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180519_092334 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092346 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092412 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092431 (resized).jpg
    6319158A-2BA9-478D-B81A-1ABB7D07CFD1 (resized).jpeg
    B4877453-5549-4A57-B6FD-86E5A0D8810B (resized).jpeg
    B2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpeg
    71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg
    FBF8EF77-AFA5-4CD8-B41D-4C6C6C22EF97 (resized).jpeg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

I may sell it. Gotta think about it. Haven’t even load the new Co-op code yet.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I think maybe I had accumulated too many pins (was up to 14), and the fact that they are basically unplayed except for myself and the occasional party seems wasteful.

I think you could do to meet up with some local pinheads if you're fortunate enough to be close to some. Or make plans with a couple friends to teach them how to play TNA, and then introduce the new co-op mode and have a blast. I find the greatest joy of this hobby is sharing my games with friends/family/acquaintances. I meet up with a buddy of mine that i introduced to the hobby (addiction) every couple weeks at his place or mine (or the Silverball Museum!) to play and it's *always* a good time. I think you've got the right idea getting out to some shows, too. Pinball is unique in that it can be played solo (which i really love about it), but when played with like-minded company, it becomes much more. We discuss strategy, get excited when someone's having a good ball, stuff like that. Close-call games are always extra exciting too. I hope you find what you've been missing, and that it's still here in pinball land.

#53 5 years ago

Sounds like that damn Escalera was the breaking point. Stair climbing dolly that doesn't work on your stairs....... WTF!!!!!!!!

#54 5 years ago

This is depressing.

I think I’ll go home, drink some beer, maybe a lot, play with dog and turn on all of my pins and have fun

And I think I’ll order a color dmd for TWD

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I may sell it. Gotta think about it. Haven’t even load the new Co-op code yet.

I would never do that, but honestly if TNA is not even doing it for you then nothing will IMHO.

Time to sell them all and start collecting stamps

In reality, just take a break or find a new way to enjoy the hobby. Burn out happens.

I got so completely sick of competitive pinball that I largely removed it from my life and stopped doing it. After a few months away i have started to enjoy it a little more and think of it in a new way. I am now excited for MGC and Pinfest competitions in the next month. 3 months ago, i was thinking of not even playing in those events at all. Taking a break was the best thing. Granted i have been just focusing on a restoration in that time, but it was well needed.

#56 5 years ago

I came to the conclusion many years ago that I am not really a hobbyist, but instead I really enjoy a creative challenge and learning. So my hobbies tend to focus on doing something creative. I have rebuilt classic cars, built a hackintosh, bred aquarium fish, built and flow RC airplanes, and restored pinball machines. I find I enjoy getting into the fine details of why and how things work. When ever I go to a pinball festival, I don't enjoy just playing games... I have the most fun when I am being a tech, and working to keep things running.

With every hobby, I reach a point where I don't feel like there is much more left to learn, or the time I need to invest in a hobby is not worth the return. It is typically at that point I change hobbies.

#57 5 years ago

For me, it’s not about collecting, or fixing stuff, or traveling to big tournaments.

When i have the most fun is when I’m hanging out with the Denver crew, playing dollar games. I need to get up there soon to reconnect.

#58 5 years ago

Is this feeling only related to Pinball or other interests in your life as well?

#59 5 years ago

For me...

I kinda walked away from the hobby after I bought my GBLE....the frustration/disappointment I had w/ the ghosting inserts. I've always enjoyed restoring my machines more than playing them. I hope to get back into it soon...I have 8 CPR playfields in the closet dying to get installed into a machine.

Another thing....I used to always enjoy "the chase"......of finding/buying another machine to restore. The prices that these machine are going for now has totally turned me off on getting more machines.

#60 5 years ago

I took a year off. now I am back at it.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

For me, it’s not about collecting, or fixing stuff, or traveling to big tournaments.
    When i have the most fun is when I’m hanging out with the Denver crew, playing dollar games. I need to get up there soon to reconnect.

I will be the first one to admit, I connect to machines a lot better than I connect to people. I have never been very social, and I think I can count the number of friends I have outside of my immediate family on one hand (eric and Adam, yall are on the one hand...)

#62 5 years ago

My best advice is, don't think so much and play it by ear. Take a little break, you are DEFINITELY burnt out. Take a month off and reassess your situation. Don't think about pinball for a month and see how you feel. You might want to sell all your games or more likely you will be chomping at the bit to get back involved in the glorious hobby that is pinball.

#63 5 years ago

Buying another pinball machine seems to cure the blues. Improving your existing games also keeps my interest alive. Playing them isn't everything.

#64 5 years ago

To me my Pins are like functional artwork that I love, when I am not playing them I get a kick out of looking at them!

#65 5 years ago

If you want to play something different from what you have/had (Guardians) let me know. Nobody but the fam has laid a hand on it yet. Not sure I want them to see you play though. They actually think I'm pretty good!

#66 5 years ago

I walked away from the hobby (buying fixing selling) for 8 years. It was a long break. I still played the 4 working games in my gameroom now and then, just stopped looking at ads, logging into RGP or going to shows. At the time I was fixing a Silverball Mania that was driving me nuts. F**K it, it sat all 8 years in my Resto area. Had a NOS Xenon PF that was really warped after spending a bunch having it shipped from Germany to a restorer to repair a scratch and clear it. Got it home to find the 1" warp from corner to corner. Installed the rails and stuck it under my pool table. Again F**K it. Daughter was in high school, college was coming and with those costs looming, I was done spending money on pin stuff. Last June I pulled the Xenon PF out from under the pool table and low and behold it was straight. My daughter was entering junior year at college, she had good grades and was getting a grant. I was back in the hobby hard. Fixed the Silverball Mania from hell, did the PF swap on Xenon (thanks to the many people here who helped with my screw-ups) and since bought several more early Bally SS games and sold 4 this year. Can't wait for Pinfest. Needless to say sometimes a break is needed, clear your head and decide if you want back in.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Like Levi said, try a Stars or just go backwards in the hobby. Nobody says you have to only buy the newest games. Flipper pinball has been around for over 70 years, there is so much great history to explore. You might discover that your favorite games are 2" 1960's era Gottliebs or Bally's Ted Zale designed zipper flipper games. You really never know until you expand your palate. Good luck to you and don't give up! Buy that Stars!

Set up a Stern Star Wars, GOTG, Aerosmith, Metallica etc and I walk right past to play Stars or Frontier, Joker Poker, Mousin' Around, etc.

#68 5 years ago

What is this pin..." break"...you speak of?

#69 5 years ago

The hobby goes up and down. But overall, it's still a blast. Some of the best times are battling with a buddy all afternoon on a classic game.

Just last week in Classic League I got paired up with 3 great guys, and we all had a blast from the first game. It was just laughing and fun competition.

This afternoon I worked on a game I've been scratching my head on trying to make work right... And I finally found the problem. Then I played 20 games on it in pure joy that it finally worked.

If you need a break from the hobby, take it. Wrap up your games and take some time. People either come back from that, or end up selling everything and picking up a different hobby. It's ok either way.

#70 5 years ago

A year ago, I was content to just keep my two pins in the gameroom with the arcade games. Then I went to pinagogo, and decided I had to have afmr le. Now I am content with my 3 pins in the gameroom. I am a little bit worried about going to the golden state pinball festival next month. Lol I am really looking forward to hanging out with friends again though.

Reno is a pretty good pinball town now, but I rarely make it out to play on location. I think I am in the coasting phase of my hobby.

#71 5 years ago

at first i liked playing games, then i found you could own them
    then i grew a collection
    then i decided i needed to own A list games
    then i decided i needed NIB games

now i own games i enjoy playing, and talking to others who love this hobby

#72 5 years ago

Hang in there Russell. Don’t make it about the acquisition or competition. Pick the games you like and stick with them.

#73 5 years ago

I find that beer helps...
    A lot.

#74 5 years ago

I have been seriously thinking about getting out of the hobby but in all reality I probably already have. I have not played one of my pins in over 3 years. Every time I decide to sell I think about the expense and hassle of doing it then deciding I made a mistake. I have honestly always liked working on them more than playing them but I just never seem to feel well enough to the that anymore because of health issues. Up until a few weeks ago I liked chatting and watching what's going on with local pinheads. That changed recently when I congratulated on local guy on a pickup and got a crappy reply from him on a local group. Pissed me off and I left the group..... probably shouldn't have been so sensitive but the truth is I just don't feel it anymore.

#75 5 years ago

Just take a little break and forget about pinball for awhile and maybe things will be fun again for you. I hope that you can get back to where you enjoy the hobby again Russell because you’re a good guy and good for the hobby!

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just take a little break and forget about pinball for awhile and maybe things will be fun again for you.

Nah, ol’ Russ just needs to upload that sweet TNA Co-Op+Vs code, crank it to 11 and systematically bust some reactors!

#77 5 years ago

Pinball. Sometimes I think my blood is filled with microscopic pinballs. Bouncing around in there...

#78 5 years ago

For me it is about the whole experience. If you have a game area maybe go for some arcades or skeeball, something to mix it up. Than after a while the interest will come back in your pins. I am all about family fun center but at the end of the day my pins are my babies.

#79 5 years ago

You put your TNA and Tron up for sale. Guess you've made your decision. Good luck and hope you find your way back to the hobby in the future.

#80 5 years ago

It's fair to say everything in life is cyclical. One can try to force things or just ride out the cycles. I heard some good advice a while back from my son's karate coach. When interest wanes it is usually better to alternate between slow and fast instead of stop and start. It kinda keeps us from going all-out. And I certainly tend to go all-in fast, get immersed, and often can get over saturated. After putting less energy to things for a while that were all-consuming, drive and motivation often return.

Just some thoughts

#81 5 years ago

Doesn't matter how many times I've said I'm done with this hobby....just keeps its talons in you. Even after I had 40k worth of pins stolen from me. I'm a lifer now it seems.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Doesn't matter how many times I've said I'm done with this hobby....just keeps its talons in you. Even after I had 40k worth of pins stolen from me. I'm a lifer now it seems.

Man I can’t believe you have suffered such theft. I can’t stand theives!

1 month later
    #83 5 years ago

So, here’s what I ended up doing...

I sold 9/14 pins, including TNA...I know, I know, that may have been impulsive.

Then, I bought a foosball table, a ping pong table, and a dart board. Then, I bought TWD LE and IMDN LE. So, I currently have 5 pins at my house, 2 at my Dad’s house down the street. Pretty happy with the reduced lineup. All good games that have essentially no maintenance issues.

My kids have spent WAY more time enjoying the rec room. Even my wife loves playing foosball and ping pong. My whole family is enjoying the new setup much more than a room packed full of pins.

This type of change may not be for everyone, but so far, I have no regrets. And, I’m still in the hobby for now, just in a new phase.

71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

So, here’s what I ended up doing...
    I sold 9/14 pins, including TNA...I know, I know, that may have been impulsive.
    Then, I bought a foosball table, a ping pong table, and a dart board. Then, I bought TWD LE and IMDN LE. So, I currently have 5 pins at my house, 2 at my Dad’s house down the street. Pretty happy with the reduced lineup. All good games that have essentially no maintenance issues.
    My kids have spent WAY more time enjoying the rec room. Even my wife loves playing foosball and ping pong. My whole family is enjoying the new setup much more than a room packed full of pins.
    This type of change may not be for everyone, but so far, I have no regrets. And, I’m still in the hobby for now, just in a new phase.

Adding some diversity is a good way to shake things up and keep the family involved. Five pins is still a good mix.

Nice choice on the foosball table, BTW.

#85 5 years ago

Less is more. Congrats Russell

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Adding some diversity is a good way to shake things up and keep the family involved. Five pins is still a good mix.
    Nice choice on the foosball table, BTW.

Thanks, I’m also liking the ping pong table.

B2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpegB2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpeg

#87 5 years ago

Nice Russel. Your game room looks great!

#88 5 years ago

I totally get what you're saying. I spend most of the time in the basement by myself playing pinball. I think it may be time to reduce soon and get something fun like a ping pong table. Does this get played the most now by your family?

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Then, I bought TWD LE and IMDN LE

that tells me you are far from the final phase

Glad you found some things to freshen up the lineup/game room and your are enjoying it again (with family)

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

I totally get what you're saying. I spend most of the time in the basement by myself playing pinball. I think it may be time to reduce soon and get something fun like a ping pong table. Does this get played the most now by your family?

Yes, ping pong is definitely the most popular.

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Yes, ping pong is definitely the most popular.

Once you get serious about ping pong you will start calling it "table tennis". It is my best sport by far. I used to compete in tournaments all the time when I was in college. Good times.

#92 5 years ago

Haha, indeed!
    For the love of Timo Boll,
    Please stop calling it “Ping Pong” Russel.
    Ping Pong is done on tables like this...
    B4877453-5549-4A57-B6FD-86E5A0D8810B (resized).jpegB4877453-5549-4A57-B6FD-86E5A0D8810B (resized).jpeg

Not on a Killerspin Revolution.
    For your health!

Also, get one of these:

6319158A-2BA9-478D-B81A-1ABB7D07CFD1 (resized).jpeg6319158A-2BA9-478D-B81A-1ABB7D07CFD1 (resized).jpeg

(RoboPong 3050XL)
    For you and your family to quickly improve skill set, NOT get bored with the new table purchase, and also to give a good workout.
    You’ll see why we are passionate about the TT nomanclature once you start adding real spin to the ball.
    Deciding which pinball machine to get is a walk in the park compared to picking out your next rubber(s) and blade combination.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that tells me you are far from the final phase
    Glad you found some things to freshen up the lineup/game room and your are enjoying it again (with family)

I agree, this just feels like a new phase. I’m curious if this “phases” thing happens to everyone, or if it’s just me.

I started with a basement full of arcade games. Then, transitioned to pinball. First, I sought out highly ranked games, mostly Bally/Williams. Then, I had a brief system 11 phase. Next, I got into rare and unusual games, including NIB from new manufacturers. Now, it may look like I’m in a NIB/HUO Stern phase, but I think it’s really just looking for low maintenance games.

Ping pong.

#94 5 years ago

For me, stepping back from a hobby for a bit is a good thing. With pinball there have always been "hot" periods and "cool" periods. The stepping away periods seem to make it more exciting when I eventually get back into it more heavily.

#95 5 years ago

Boy do I love ping pong...BUT isn't it just the worst when your playing someone that doesn't know how to "play"......btw...that is a really sweet ping pong table..........Joey

Ps....Only the ones that can "play" will pick up what I'm puttin down...

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I agree, this just feels like a new phase. I’m curious if this “phases” thing happens to everyone, or if it’s just me.

I haven't a clue of how many phases I've been through over the years and my game room is constantly in flux. I began with a pool table about 12 years ago that looked kinda lonely.... And that's the beauty of this hobby with its various avenues to take.

Here's few different things I've been having fun with.

Ice Cold Beer that I believe every game room should have.

thumbnail_20180519_092431 (resized).jpgthumbnail_20180519_092431 (resized).jpg

Rare Airball machine. Super weird and entertaining.

thumbnail_20180519_092412 (resized).jpgthumbnail_20180519_092412 (resized).jpg

Champion Rifle Range that is a pinball machine believe it or not. It’s flat at the bottom of the cabinet and via the mirror, you shoot the pop bumpers for points and shoot the pinballs back into play out of the ball locks. I really enjoyed shopping it out and it plays snappy like new now.

thumbnail_20180519_092346 (resized).jpgthumbnail_20180519_092346 (resized).jpg

Strikes n Spares that I’m retheming. (no artwork) The artwork for both translites are in progress.

20180519_092334 (resized).jpg20180519_092334 (resized).jpg

#97 5 years ago
    #98 5 years ago

A little variety perfect! I sold off 14 games last year. I was down to 2. I picked up a few more and I am at 5 now. I most likely will only get one more but I thought about adding some variety so I want to do a swap out game. A new game that we play until we get tired and then swap out for something else. Just to keep fresh blood in the line up.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Ice Cold Beer that I believe every game room should have

I've never owned this game but it seems like it would get old REALLY quickly. The price has also skyrocketed in the past 5 years. I'm curious though since I've not owned it, why do you feel this way? It just looks very gimmicky for top dollar.

Quoted from Mr68:

Champion Rifle Range that is a pinball machine believe it or not

That is AWESOME looking. I want to find one! Know of any in the marketplace?

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

I've never owned this game but it seems like it would get old REALLY quickly. The price has also skyrocketed in the past 5 years. I'm curious though since I've not owned it, why do you feel this way? It just looks very gimmicky for top dollar.

At my last party one guy pulled a stool up and played Ice Cold Beer most of the evening. He was totally hooked.
    The games I pictured are all one trick ponies but I really enjoy them and the variety give my guests fun stuff to play with. Interesting to explore and work on too.

Quoted from seshpilot:

That is AWESOME looking. I want to find one! Know of any in the marketplace?

I saw one back east for sale about a month ago but it's gone now. Those are getting expensive these days also and hard to find.

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-the-next-or-final-phase-for-a-pinhead/page/2?hl=desertpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.