(Topic ID: 214374)

Is this the next (or final) phase for a pinhead?

By Russell

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jorge5240
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180519_092334 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092346 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092412 (resized).jpg
    thumbnail_20180519_092431 (resized).jpg
    6319158A-2BA9-478D-B81A-1ABB7D07CFD1 (resized).jpeg
    B4877453-5549-4A57-B6FD-86E5A0D8810B (resized).jpeg
    B2CA68D8-1D43-4592-BE8F-66DE77FB58F0 (resized).jpeg
    71228729-F93A-4BEE-B18E-F913D24EC200 (resized).jpeg
    FBF8EF77-AFA5-4CD8-B41D-4C6C6C22EF97 (resized).jpeg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

Recently, I seem to have fallen out of love with the hobby. I can’t decide if this is just temporary, represents a new phase of my pinball hobby, or if I’m just done and in denial.

I think maybe I had accumulated too many pins (was up to 14), and the fact that they are basically unplayed except for myself and the occasional party seems wasteful.

Maybe it’s just the cumulative effect of multiple small disappointments with the hobby lately.

For example:
    I recently bought an Escalera, which was super expensive, and it turns out I can’t use it for my stairs, so that was disappointing.

I didn’t get into Pinburgh, which was becoming a fun ritual each year, that is sort of disappointing.

Other stuff...no interest in recent themes. Bailed on Houdini, no interest in POTC, lukewarm on Alice Cooper, and trying hard to balance my interest in KME’s first design and the terrible theme. No interest in any of the upcoming rumored themes (Toy Story!?!) Just not excited.

Whatever, maybe these have nothing to do with it.

I find myself not even getting excited about upcoming events, I haven’t even gotten a ticket to our local show, which I normally go all in on.

Even the local monthly tournaments don’t have the appeal they once did.

I actually sold pins to make room for a foosball machine. (Kids and wife loving it, so that was a win.). I’m thinking about selling more to make room for ping-pong or something else.

Anyone else gone through this? My current plan is to reduce my collection quite a bit, maybe down to 5-8, then reassess.

#2 2 years ago

Nope. 17 years I’m still lovin it

#3 2 years ago

Nope, just temporary. I've always enjoyed fixing my games as much as playing them, but now everything's working 100%
    so I've purchased more games that where supposedly already 100% work, which they were not, so spend more money making them 100%
    now with nothing to fix again I'm now getting board and don't play as much. Sometimes you just need to take a break!

#4 2 years ago

It’s ebb & flow with this hobby for me. I’ve had a lot of enjoyment but definitely sacrificed a lot as far as finances & space go. I’ve narrowed it down to 5 must have pins but sometimes catch myself wondering if I could live Without 1 or 2 more. I go out of my way to help my friends whenever I can but still cringe when I have to ask them for help with moving a pin into or out of the basement. Lately I have to remove the head of the machine after damaging one of my back boxes last year. Idk if I’ll ever give em all up though!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Recently, I seem to have fallen out of love with the hobby. I can’t decide if this is just temporary, represents a new phase of my pinball hobby, or if I’m just done and in denial.
    I think maybe I had accumulated too many pins (was up to 14), and the fact that they are basically unplayed except for myself and the occasional party seems wasteful.
    Maybe it’s just the cumulative effect of multiple small disappointments with the hobby lately.
    For example:
    I recently bought an Escalera, which was super expensive, and it turns out I can’t use it for my stairs, so that was disappointing.
    I didn’t get into Pinburgh, which was becoming a fun ritual each year, that is sort of disappointing.
    Other stuff...no interest in recent themes. Bailed on Houdini, no interest in POTC, lukewarm on Alice Cooper, and trying hard to balance my interest in KME’s first design and the terrible theme. No interest in any of the upcoming rumored themes (Toy Story!?!) Just not excited.
    I find myself not even getting excited about upcoming events, I haven’t even gotten a ticket to our local show, which I normally go all in on.
    I actually sold pins to make room for a foosball machine. (Kids and wife loving it, so that was a win.). I’m thinking about selling more to make room for ping-pong or something else.
    Anyone else gone through this? My current plan is to reduce my collection quite a bit, maybe down to 5-8, then reassess.

I go through phases kinda of like:

love playing for fun, trying to get GC's at the arcade
    love playing in tournaments
    hate fixing them

love fixing them / not really into playing them
    not really into going to the arcade
    meh on tournaments

currently just focused on my homebrew, wpprs and gc's be damned.

maybe i need to make a trip to the springs to GC all your games to give you something to work towards
    i know whenever jackson gets on one of my games at home I play until i knock him off lol

When a bunch of shit breaks on my games it bums me out for awhile

miss seeing ya at the tournaments! always great to catch up with ya, next sunday you gonna go to the helenament? sometimes its the people in the hobby that mean more than the games/events. Our community is pretty great!

#6 2 years ago

I sometimes take a short break, but they are usually temporary.

#7 2 years ago

I'm sorry to hear, I checked the games you own and there should be some excitement. Every now and then I kind of get in a rut and go thought the motions but I play everything I have often, multiple times a week.

Believe it or not the game that gets me out of any funk is the Hobbit. I would say it's my go to game. Last night I had my second best score, I love that pin.

#8 2 years ago

i feel the same way sometimes, but still playing them. just dont play as much.

#9 2 years ago

Definitely the most fun I ever have in the hobby is at events, hanging out with friends. Lately, it’s been just playing at home. I think I’ll attend a few upcoming local events, see if I can find the spark. Meanwhile, I’m slimming down my collection. Sold 2 yesterday!

#10 2 years ago

Just get two EM's that you really like...working of course. Play them and improve them for a while. You can take a break from them for a while but not for too long. They will make you stay interested in playing/working on them occasionally or they will develope small problems. They will keep you intetested in the hobby.

#11 2 years ago

I think some level of burnout is normal in most any hobby one is involved in.
    Sometimes approaching it from a different angle helps keep the passion going (fixing a project machine vs. playing -- but I understand some people are not into the fixing part). The do think the community is just as important as the hobby itself -- good idea to hang out with others that share your interest to keep the flame lit. I do not know what the ideal number of pins is to have in a collection, parting with a few to add some variety is good (pool table, air hockey, etc.) but be sure to keep a couple of your favorites around. You be back flippin before you know it. . . we hope!

#12 2 years ago

I do agree with the current and upcoming lackluster themes (for me at least). I think it is because we had some big time themes recently (BM 66, Ghostbusters, Aerosmith, Star Wars, Pat Lawlor back again, the TNA excitement, etc). But I'm not an Iron Maiden fan. Houdini and POTC were flops for me and the kids when we played them at our local expo. I'm not really into Alice Cooper, although super excited for Spooky. And as for the future, Deadpool, Munsters, Toy Story, and the Beatles are all themes I can do without. But, I'm sure new ones or unexpected one will come around the corner.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

For example:

Curious, do you work on games? I find that when I am burnt out on playing or competition, that tearing down a game is a great way to rekindle my spunk.
    When I get tired of tear down then I go play more.

When I get tired of that I shift to events.

I find the thing I like about this hobby is that there are actually lots of different avenues to embrace and by embracing them all I can shift.

1 thing that has also really kept me going is starting Mad Rollin Pinball as a charity event. This gives me something positive to channel and makes all the effort worth it. It feels really good to do something positive with pinball.

You are a very organized dude. Maybe think about starting a big annual event down in your area? Make it at least part for charity and I bet you really dig in.

#14 2 years ago

It happens...mine collect dust.... Trying to decide to either find a new hobby, or try and get back into the swing of things with this one... Going to Pinfest, but it's more of an excuse to get away for a day, show is low on my priorities (few breweries and bars lined up)...unless it Sparks something left dormant...will see

#15 2 years ago

I shook up my collection a little. Come down and play. Doors are always open. Or let me know if you want to meet up and play some
    Pinball!!

#16 2 years ago

I only have two pins. Bought them a month apart in 2014. Both pins were pretty messed up especially F-14. I just finished the high end restoration on F-14 last summer (new PF etc.) and now I am finishing up on my Sharkey's. I just put down a deposit on ACNC, my first NIB. I would not have developed the interest I now have had I never restored my first two pins. Playing is fun, but the learning experience and reward that came from working on them is what did it for me.

#17 2 years ago

I go through phases myself. I went through much of 2018 barely touching my pins. Then recently, I started playing my games again, looking forward to going to MGC and possibly buying a new game for the first time in a couple years.

As recently as a month ago I was toying with the idea of selling most of my games, and this was not long after I had just built a little arcade room in my basement just for my pins!

There's nothing wrong with taking a break and exploring other interests. I think a lot of us have been there.

#18 2 years ago

if youre looking for a project ill let you borrow my mata hari and you can see if you can bring her back to life

#19 2 years ago

I have never really had enough hobby time to spend working on games. My free time in the evenings is pretty limited.

#20 2 years ago

I find that beer helps...
    Alot.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I find that beer helps...
    Alot.

LOL!
    I Concur!

Not so good for my high scores though!

#22 2 years ago

russell I fully support selling s few pins in favor of ping pong — ping pong is a great family and party game.. wish I had room for one now.

Utopia why the escalera doesn’t work on the stairs? I thought that’s what they are for?

#23 2 years ago

I'm burned out AF on the hobby. It happens from time to time. Really looking forward to the Allentown show as I'll get to catch up with friends, that usually sparks it back up for me.

#24 2 years ago

I think I'm in a similar situation. Having more than one hobby is my solution. Gearing up for summer now - camping, cars, dirt bikes takes up free time these days. Also just got a 3D printer which is surprisingly fun for me and my son. Sometimes I get into a PS4 game for a while. Or binge watch TV shows that I saved up. I still play a few games here or there and have a laundry list of things to fix but I don't stress about it because it will always be there.

#25 2 years ago

Sounds like burn out from only enjoying newer machines...and, no offense, being a bit of a theme whore.

Go pick up a classic bally of Stern and you might find yourself enjoying it more to get your dick knocked in the dirt.

#26 2 years ago

I run hot and cold with the hobby, but in the end I still love it. I've taken a couple pinside and pinball news breaks over the years (usually for anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months), and usually come back refreshed.

Let me know if you would like to sell your TNA

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I have never really had enough hobby time to spend working on games. My free time in the evenings is pretty limited.

Where are you located?

#28 2 years ago

Take a step back and take a break from pinball. We can all get burnt out and lose interest in a hobby. I’ve found playing pinball by myself in the basement can be boring and not a lot of fun. Once a few friends or family members come over, I love to see the smiles on their faces when they play. That gets me excited when they are enjoying my games. Maybe invite a few people over to play or go play on location with some friends.

#29 2 years ago

..|.. for KME's "terrible theme". Best theme they could have EVER made for me.
    Sell them all and don't look back. Go buy a boat.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sounds like burn out from only enjoying newer machines...and, no offense, being a bit of a theme whore.
    Go pick up a classic bally of Stern and you might find yourself enjoying it more to get your dick knocked in the dirt.

Seriously. Buy a Stern Stars you'll be hooked on it for hours at a time.

Funny how games like that keep you coming back, but many will never know or seek out their charms.

#31 2 years ago

Can also double as Beer Pong!!!

#32 2 years ago

Pinball is an awesome hobby that can be shared with friends, family, and other enthusiasts. It’s so much fun being able to play an analogue game in our increasingly digital world. There is no substitute, even though I also enjoy TPA. My only concern would be having too large a collection. Space and maintenance could become work if that happens, but slimming down a collection to keep the games you love most should solve that problem.

#33 2 years ago

I have two working pins and one I am doing a custom resto on. I enjoy working on them as much as I do playing and watching others play. I would not say I get burned out as much as just stepping back for awhile. Restoring gives me a outlet to do that and also increases my knowledge of fixing pins.

#34 2 years ago

Like Levi said, try a Stars or just go backwards in the hobby. Nobody says you have to only buy the newest games. Flipper pinball has been around for over 70 years, there is so much great history to explore. You might discover that your favorite games are 2" 1960's era Gottliebs or Bally's Ted Zale designed zipper flipper games. You really never know until you expand your palate. Good luck to you and don't give up! Buy that Stars!

#35 2 years ago

Ironically, I sold Skateball and Mars Trek yesterday.

#36 2 years ago

I take breaks and there is ebb and flow. When it gets too stale, I sell games. I took a pretty big break after TPF last year and another in the fall. Going to a few tournaments selling games got me excited again. TPF was a great battery charger for me.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Recently, I seem to have fallen out of love with the hobby.

Maybe you forgot what you enjoyed most about pinball and drifted into other aspects of the hobby that don't provide what you originally liked about pinball ?

LTG : )

#38 2 years ago

Did somebody say Stern Stars???
    Oooh that’s my #1 solid state jam!

FBF8EF77-AFA5-4CD8-B41D-4C6C6C22EF97 (resized).jpeg

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Ironically, I sold Skateball and Mars Trek yesterday.

Are you liking TNA still?

#40 2 years ago

I thought the typical progression was:

1) Player
    2) Collector
    3) New machine manufacturing startup

- Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I hear this. I think some of us reach a point where we're just chasing the dragon to get back to a good feeling from earlier. And in this case the dragons are very expensive, difficult to move, eat up space so that they constantly have to be shuffled around, and break down often. Factor in pinside being more of a keeping-up-with-the-Jones bitchfest than helpful, limited time, and little to no interest in new games, and it's understandable.

I have to say though, you're in a location where you've got plenty going on pinball-wise. You've got a community, events, barcades, etc. so if you're not feeling it, imagine living somewhere where there's nothing like that for 7 hours in every direction...

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Are you liking TNA still?

Sort of. Definitely the game I’m playing the most, but nothing like what I was doing even a few months ago. What do you think it’s worth. It has all the options, including shaker, butter cab, lighted rails...

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

I hear this. I think some of us reach a point where we're just chasing the dragon to get back to a good feeling from earlier. And in this case the dragons are very expensive, difficult to move, eat up space so that they constantly have to be shuffled around, and break down often. Factor in pinside being more of a keeping-up-with-the-Jones bitchfest than helpful, limited time, and little to no interest in new games, and it's understandable.
    I have to say though, you're in a location where you've got plenty going on pinball-wise. You've got a community, events, barcades, etc. so if you're not feeling it, imagine living somewhere where there's nothing like that for 7 hours in every direction...

Note to self... never move to Nowhere, WY.

#44 2 years ago

You're just in the trough of the sine wave, just ride it out!

#45 2 years ago

Sounds like time for a break. If you are on the eastern side of the US you might be getting some "seasonal affective disorder" . I call it cabin fever or enough already winter!

If you have 14 pins, you definitely have the nack for this hobby.

Maybe leave things for a bit and then reasses?

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Sounds like time for a break. If you are on the eastern side of the US you might be getting some "seasonal affective disorder" . I call it cabin fever or enough already winter!
    If you have 14 pins, you definitely have the nack for this hobby.
    Maybe leave things for a bit and then reasses?

I’m in Colorado. The one thing we have plenty of is SUN.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

and the fact that they are basically unplayed except for myself and the occasional party seems wasteful.

I found that having a small “dinner with friends” one weekday a week to help break up the grind, with Pinball as the appetizer AND main dessert, really kept the pinhead mojo flowing. (Also aids in digestion. )
    Nothing fancy mind you.
    Chili, fish tacos, pizza, pasta, etc...
    After all,
    Playing pinball with actual people is what made Pinball popular in the first place!

#48 2 years ago

I've been quitting this hobby since 2006.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I've been quitting this hobby since 2006.

Maybe this will be me, too. We’ll see.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Sort of. Definitely the game I’m playing the most, but nothing like what I was doing even a few months ago. What do you think it’s worth. It has all the options, including shaker, butter cab, lighted rails...

whatever you paid plus a $500 premium based on current demand/supply, but I would guess that premium evaporates soon as more are going out the door.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 299.00
    $ 103.00
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 25.00
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    $ 14.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 29.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside