FB_IMG_1476485092359.jpg
image (resized).jpeg
trailer-park-boys-t-shirt-bubbles (resized).jpg
bubble-burst (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
greed (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
TheEnd (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

But the new guys in the hobby could care less.

Most of us are players first and collectors second. So yeah, if a brand new MMR plays just as good or better than a routed one from 20+ years ago, Hell yeah I want one!

#73 7 years ago

Bubbles usually require a catalyst to burst. I know that because pinball prices stayed the same or increased during the last recession that people think its a recession-proof hobby, but I would disagree.

The hobby has expanded with many many new collectors, which is great! That expansion coincided with the last recession, which kept the prices afloat. I think the timing of the new collectors entering the hobby was mostly coincidence. But not all collectors have the same financial profile. There's people with large net worths who get every LE. And then there's people buying games on the margins with bonus money or a small stock market win or something.

I believe we're overdue for another business cycle contraction/recession. When that happen the wealthiest will still buy games. But the collectors who need to raise money due to a job loss or business slowdown will not be buying and probably be selling. The decreased demand combined with the expanded supply of new games and new manufacturers will lead to lower prices. Because the total collector count is still well above what it would be 10 or 15 years ago prices won't go back to the 'good old days' that I missed out on. But I think we'll see a correction in prices. If I had to put a value on it I would say 30%. That's what the housing market fell. I conflate the two because pinball and houses are both illiquid and require time and effort to sell, unlike stocks.

Other factors
I also wonder whether pinball as a hobby could be a trend or 'fad' for some. Will the new collectors who entered the hobby 5 years ago or less be collectors for life?
Pinball prices are regional in some sense since its reasonably a pain to ship a game. and most games do not change hands on eBay so prices paid are opaque. Will a price decline hit some areas first? Since I think the next recession will come out of California and the second tech bubble, I would imagine it might be harder to move games there and could be the start of the price decrease. (Also helps that this is where the games are most expensive in the US anyways).

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

They are better positioned to buy such high dollar disposable income items. Makes me curious what percent of pinball machines are sold overseas now.

I disagree. While it's true Europeans and others get a great deal on healthcare and college, they overall do not have the same materialism or wealth as the middle class in the US. They spend a ton on housing which is usually NOT single family and condusive to pinball ownership. My English friends live in small flats and mostly spend their money on travel and experiences, not giant toys. If they are into toys it's usually motorsports like cars or motorcycles.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.99
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-the-bubble?tu=richthofen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.