You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IFWT_Tupac_(resized).jpg
download_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I'm considering buying a Space Mission pin, but am concerned for the condition of the playfield. It has several small areas on the lower play field with missing paint. I also see white rings around most of the inserts. I plan to see the pin this weekend and will buy it if it can be brought to a reasonable condition without going crazy. Is this salvageable or should I walk away?

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Considering its age, I think it looks pretty dang nice. Question is, how much time do you want to spend on trying to make it look perfect? Some of it should be easy to do.

Far as the white rings around the inserts, that would be because either the inserts are too low or too high. Once you correct the height, then you could just use a black acrylic paint pen to paint over the white areas of the inserts. May not be as easy color matching the red. Though, even if the color is off a bit, it would look better than bare wood.

#3 7 years ago

All depends on the price.

#4 7 years ago

I thought this might contain a link to the aliens thread...

#6 7 years ago

I don't have a problem with owning a player's quality pin myself. Would I prefer to not have paint missing?... Sure... But some missing paint wouldn't keep me from buying a title I really want if it is priced accordingly. Especially since I only buy older pins anyway, I'm not that picky.

-Steve

#7 7 years ago

It's 40 years old. That's pretty normal playfield wear and it can be much worse.

If you like the game and/or the price is right go get it.

#8 7 years ago

Sure it is. It probably won't look mint or pristine unless you put some extra work into it, but I'm sure you could get the game back up and running and flipping again.

#9 7 years ago

Most Space Missions look like this.
It's a surprisingly good game.
Pick it up and enjoy it. Don't fret the cosmetics.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#10 7 years ago

Have to go with the crowd here and say that if it's a good price get it. Don't sweat the paint loss on the playfield like others have said I too have seen worse. Besides it's a Steve Kordec classic; on my short list of EM pins to get (money/storage space permitting).

#11 7 years ago

Buy it and play it if it's cheap enough. If you like it you can always sell it and upgrade to another one in nicer condition. That's the easiest way to go about it They made over 11,000 of them.

#12 7 years ago

Most anything can be fixed or restored to original. Just at what cost?

#13 7 years ago

What is the seller's asking price? What is the condition of the backglass?

#14 7 years ago

He is asking $300. From the picture there may be some issues with the back glass, but it's hard to tell.

#15 7 years ago

$300, no brainer, you'll be able to get that or more easily if you decide to resell.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

What is the seller's asking price? What is the condition of the backglass?

...And does it power up, does the game look complete. -- Price, price, price. I will buy anything for the right price.

OP. I don't know your skill or repair knowledge but this could be a great project and learning opportunity for you. There is something so very satisfying about taking a turd and polishing it. And you get to decide along the way how extensive a restoration you want to do.

Even if the end result isn't glamours the machine becomes yours because you brought it back to life with your efforts. You will have a different kind of pride in this ole machine as compared to a NIB Stern.

Good luck

#17 7 years ago

I kinda want a machine with playfield wear to clearcoat over to create a cool looking worn out look that plays like new. I'd still rebuild everything on the playfield like targets, pops, and flippers. But I just kinda like that look. Not for an A game, but for something to play the crap out of.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

He is asking $300. From the picture there may be some issues with the back glass, but it's hard to tell.

$300 is a no brainer. The game looks pretty decent for it's age. Buy it, clean it up a bit, and play the heck out of it. What a good game Space Mission is too.

#19 7 years ago

Level your inserts, then clear over the wear with 2PAC.

It will create a "relic-ed" game (like all the guitars at Guitarcenter) that will play like new, but not allow any additional wear.

Latter, if the bug strikes you, you can still restore the playfield.

#20 7 years ago

What is 2PAC?

#22 7 years ago

download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago
#24 7 years ago

Damn you O-din. By 4 seconds.

#25 7 years ago

I'm sure I don't want him in my game room.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-salvageable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.