(Topic ID: 193950)

Is this right for wire continuity check?

By RonSS

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

COIL 2 (resized).jpg
    COIL 1 (resized).jpg
    Als coil table  from web hp6 only (resized).PNG
    wire cont check clips (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

So I'm tracking down a short or issue with my #6 connector on my AGBGoaWT. I'm trying to test for continuity at this point.

A few questions:

#1 Is this OK to check for continuity or do I need to cut/cut into the wire?
    wire cont check clips (resized).jpgwire cont check clips (resized).jpg
    I'm using a clip at the coil where the wire is connected, the other end clipped to the dmm probe, and then testing with the other probe at the pin # associated with this wire.

#2 If this is OK, and I get continuity through several pin positions, what does that tell me? Ground issue; touching wires; Aliens have landed???

This is connector H6-3 if it helps.
    Als coil table  from web hp6 only (resized).PNGAls coil table from web hp6 only (resized).PNG

#3 6 years ago

Fuse F17 blows after a few seconds of turning the machine on. I removed all of the connectors and replaced one at a time, leaving them in as I went. When I got to connector H6, BAM!. I removed that connector and continued to replace all other connectors. So I'm guessing that connector is the issue.

#4 6 years ago

I know H6-3 goes to F15, I just started with that particular coil because it was easy to get to. When I tested it showed continuity, but it also was showing for other pin #s as well, hence question #1. I was worried I wasn't testing correctly and getting false readings.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for all your help, I'm completely new at almost all of this stuff.

Yes, I removed all of the connectors to see if it was a board issue or connector issue. And then to identify which connector/wire to investigate.

I do have some starting points to check from the TEST MODE so I guess I'll get to testing and comparing some of those values.

Also, here is the matrix that came with my manual, it is a little different than the web version, some pin numbers are different as well.
    COIL 1 (resized).jpgCOIL 1 (resized).jpg
    COIL 2 (resized).jpgCOIL 2 (resized).jpg

When I tested both h6-3 and h6-2 the resistance value for pins #10 and #11 shot up to around 80. I don't know if this means anything but thought I'd post it in case it does.

OK, I'm off to run some tests, again, thank you!

#8 6 years ago

Yeah, that's along what I was thinking. They were all reading either close to 0, 1, or 80.

I just thought that since those particular pin #s were showing very different values it might be indicative of something.

Guess not.

I'm trying to pry off my apron now so I can check the "Feedback". That was one of the test mode's issues.

Thanks!

#9 6 years ago

I think I should start a new thread specifying my coil issues as I gain more information.

Thank you both for your help.

#11 6 years ago

I hadn't thought of that. Yes, all other connectors seem OK.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-right-for-wire-continuity-check?tu=ronss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.