(Topic ID: 193950)

Is this right for wire continuity check?

By RonSS

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jimy_speedt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

COIL 2 (resized).jpg
    COIL 1 (resized).jpg
    Als coil table  from web hp6 only (resized).PNG
    wire cont check clips (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

So I'm tracking down a short or issue with my #6 connector on my AGBGoaWT. I'm trying to test for continuity at this point.

A few questions:

#1 Is this OK to check for continuity or do I need to cut/cut into the wire?
    wire cont check clips (resized).jpg
    I'm using a clip at the coil where the wire is connected, the other end clipped to the dmm probe, and then testing with the other probe at the pin # associated with this wire.

#2 If this is OK, and I get continuity through several pin positions, what does that tell me? Ground issue; touching wires; Aliens have landed???

This is connector H6-3 if it helps.
    Als coil table from web hp6 only (resized).PNG

#2 2 years ago

#1 yes, it is alright, your dmm set to ohms should indicates a value close to 0, and certainly not infinite.

For wires touching each other, you should have continuity with 2 connector pins. But if the wires are not stripped, there is no reason for that.

Not certain to understand your issue. Does the transistor blow ? What is your problem ?

#3 2 years ago

Fuse F17 blows after a few seconds of turning the machine on. I removed all of the connectors and replaced one at a time, leaving them in as I went. When I got to connector H6, BAM!. I removed that connector and continued to replace all other connectors. So I'm guessing that connector is the issue.

#4 2 years ago

I know H6-3 goes to F15, I just started with that particular coil because it was easy to get to. When I tested it showed continuity, but it also was showing for other pin #s as well, hence question #1. I was worried I wasn't testing correctly and getting false readings.

#5 2 years ago

If you remove all the connectors it is normal the fuse does not blow.

You can see which coils are linked to f17. In test mode, check each of these coil, and you can identify which one is failing.

Then check it with the dmm. Or check all the coils against rach other. In ohm mode, check the values between lugs and compare with similar coils.

This is a first step. I doubt that there is a short between wires, but who knows

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for all your help, I'm completely new at almost all of this stuff.

Yes, I removed all of the connectors to see if it was a board issue or connector issue. And then to identify which connector/wire to investigate.

I do have some starting points to check from the TEST MODE so I guess I'll get to testing and comparing some of those values.

Also, here is the matrix that came with my manual, it is a little different than the web version, some pin numbers are different as well.
    COIL 1 (resized).jpg
    COIL 2 (resized).jpg

When I tested both h6-3 and h6-2 the resistance value for pins #10 and #11 shot up to around 80. I don't know if this means anything but thought I'd post it in case it does.

OK, I'm off to run some tests, again, thank you!

#7 2 years ago

Your continuity check may be going across one coil to the common power line and then back through another coil to the next pin on the connector. The resistance to the correct connector pin should be <1 ohm, the resistance to the other pins should be probably >4 at least

#8 2 years ago

Yeah, that's along what I was thinking. They were all reading either close to 0, 1, or 80.

I just thought that since those particular pin #s were showing very different values it might be indicative of something.

Guess not.

I'm trying to pry off my apron now so I can check the "Feedback". That was one of the test mode's issues.

Thanks!

#9 2 years ago

I think I should start a new thread specifying my coil issues as I gain more information.

Thank you both for your help.

#10 2 years ago

When you're not sure if a reading is good, try to find some other place with the same stuff to compare. I assume there are other connectors for coils that don't blow the fuse you could compare readings on?

#11 2 years ago

I hadn't thought of that. Yes, all other connectors seem OK.

#12 2 years ago

If all connectors are ok, and you blow up the fuse, you have a coil short. Try to identify it, then check the transistor that might have blown up

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 75.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 139.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 214.99
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside