Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Taxman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21752577_10100157704822213_6772521698939478153_o (resized).jpg
    F0062936-75B5-4AF8-964B-006DFC0935E5 (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

This cannot be true but heard it today on a podcast. A vendor did not charge $50 for a factory tour /free beer.

Really?

Tim

#2 6 years ago

Why wouldn't it be true?

#3 6 years ago

I've been to a lot of tours especially pinball tours at no charge. You are going to charge people money to talk around as you promote your company. Now...$10 tour fee sounds more reasonable.

Now, if it takes a couple of $50's to update game codes for Aero, Batman, Star Wars...go for it (I guess).

Tim

#4 6 years ago

I don’t think stern charges for the tour. You can call or email stern and have a free tour if they let you. lol

Bus transportation to get there I’m sure costs money.

#5 6 years ago

Seems odd to me to expect free tours of a business' factory - gotta be a nuisance and distraction to have random customers wanting to see the factory every day. Probably lucky it's open to the public at all...

#6 6 years ago

Solid plan. I take it back, charge everyone but $50 is a little steep in my humble opinion.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

Seems odd to me to expect free tours of a business' factory - gotta be a nuisance and distraction to have random customers wanting to see the factory every day. Probably lucky it's open to the public at all...

I would call it good PR which it is.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinKopf:

or good marketing. Our used to be local beer company AB does free tours and gives out their product for free as well at the end (limited of course). However, they use it to test new beers and they have a large gift shop. After being taken over from the Belgians, they still do the free tours, give beer, and offer goods in the gift shop.

#9 6 years ago

The tour, if you purchase it a la carte at Expo, is indeed $50, no?

Yes it is...from the Expo registration page: _ADDITIONAL FACTORY TOUR ONLY $50 each

That's insulting to someone like me who was stupid enough to fork over $8500 for two recent machines. I really have to pay extra to see your f**king factory during a pinball show?

I'll drive down to JJP, who are always gracious enough to walk me around every time I visit...and sometimes even offer me a soda and sandwiches or pizza.

#10 6 years ago

It’s true!

http://www.pinballexpo.net/registration.pdf

F0062936-75B5-4AF8-964B-006DFC0935E5 (resized).pngF0062936-75B5-4AF8-964B-006DFC0935E5 (resized).png

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

or good marketing. Our used to be local beer company AB does free tours and gives out their product for free as well at the end (limited of course). However, they use it test new beers and they have a large gift shop. After being taken over from the Belgians, they still do the free tours, give beer, and offer goods in the gift shop.

Many companies that make something popular commonly have factory tours. Sam Adams, Magic Hat, Ben and Jerry's, Burton snowboards (back when they were solely in VT), Cape Cod potato chips...etc. we're all ones in the northeast. I think in all cases you go for free and either sample the product or get a piece of company swag (if not an edible product).

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Stern would charge $50, and the tour is only of the parking lot.

#12 6 years ago

That's the Pinball Expo price sheet which includes the bus ride to and from the hotel to Stern. I doubt Stern is open to the average "joe" for a tour.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sidekick74:

This cannot be true but heard it today on a podcast. A vendor did not charge $50 for a factory tour /free beer.
    Really?
    Tim

Do a bit more research next time..

#14 6 years ago

From reading down through posts in this topic, it sounds like Stern did not charge tour-goers, nor make any money from the tours.
    Sounds like organizers of Pinball Expo charged people that wanted to go on the factory tour.
    Which I assume is to cover their costs and services to provide transportation to the factory.

#15 6 years ago

I heard they have a room out the back where if you hand over a Ben Franklin they'll show you everything.

Touching costs more though.

#16 6 years ago

It’s to cover the bus rentals
    But at $50 a person that probably is more than the bus company charges.
    So either Expo or Stern is skimming the profits. My guess is expo.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckcasey:

I doubt Stern is open to the average "joe" for a tour.

You'd be surprised I was there in September

21752577_10100157704822213_6772521698939478153_o (resized).jpg21752577_10100157704822213_6772521698939478153_o (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

I went with friends last year on a regular work day for them. No charge.

#19 6 years ago

Was the tour this year 0.75 or 0.92? Personally, I'm waiting until they get the tour fully coded. I hear Lyman's working on it.

#20 6 years ago

How much do you think it cost to charter a large bus all day? Are you guys seriously complaining about paying $50 to take a bus to and from a hotel to Expo? We are all cheap bastards-but C'mon.

#21 6 years ago

As I read that, the tour's included with your admission packet, and the $50 is for extra non-Expo-attending people you want to drag along. Seems fair to me.

#22 6 years ago

From what I remember, the $50 is only for the Thursday of Expo which includes a bus ride to and from. Now if you drive yourself, I don't believe you can even get in on the tour without having an Expo ticket on you. The tour is included in the full Expo package and if you want to buy an additional ticket for someone else it's $50. The buses they take are standard school buses, not touring coaches that most adults can fit in. I must have gotten WAY taller since high school as I have to sit at a 45 degree angle to barely fit. Definitely not worth the $50 IMHO.

Now if you want to go and visit Stern on any of the other 249 days of the year they are open, I believe it's free, unless this has recently changed.

#23 6 years ago

We were walking back from Dunkin on Thursday around 9. One bus was full and 2 others were empty and when they left the 2 empty ones turned a different direction so I assume they were sent home.
    Was the tour light on people this year?

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The tour, if you purchase it a la carte at Expo, is indeed $50, no?
    Yes it is...from the Expo registration page: ADDITIONAL FACTORY TOUR ONLY $50 each
    That's insulting to someone like me who was stupid enough to fork over $8500 for two recent machines. I really have to pay extra to see your f**king factory during a pinball show?
    I'll drive down to JJP, who are always gracious enough to walk me around every time I visit...and sometimes even offer me a soda and sandwiches or pizza.

Did you think the guy behind you with the pooper-scooper shovel and broom was doing that for fun?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-really-true-50-for-stern-tour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.