• Latest reply 65 days ago by alb0711
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

InkedIMG_1841_LI (resized).jpg

#1 66 days ago

I've finally found some time to get back to working on my Big Time. I suspect I've got some problems with the shutter motor cam 5 switches. While inspecting them I came across what appears to be an "extra" wire in the bundle for switch stack 6. It looks like it was partially stripped at some point in its life but for the life of me I can't find the other end of this wire. Am I really just discovering some unused wire in the switch stack 6 bundle?

Thanks!
Allen

InkedIMG_1841_LI (resized).jpg
#2 65 days ago

I can't say for sure but have seen unused wires in a few of the Bally pinball games I've owned. Seemed to be a thing they would do. Probably dependent on coin door options etc.? It's a little unnerving to discover and not knowing.

#3 65 days ago

Alex,

The more I look at the tiny striped end of the wire the more I also think it is Bally's work and just wasn't needed for this machine. Looks professionally done and just the right length for a pro solder job. Maybe they had a standard wiring harness and this machine didn't have a feature that the extra wire was needed for? I suppose it could come in handy as a spare if I ever have an open short somewhere!

#4 65 days ago

Did you check the other end? I agree it looks like its too short to be connected to anything.

#5 65 days ago

The wiring and switches look really good for such an old machine
Terry K

#6 65 days ago

I have found that Ballys, particularly 71-77 are well built and extremely clean. Williams' games suffer from coil fire (silt) and are so dirty...and sloppy wiring!

#7 65 days ago

Is the machine fully functional? If so tape it off and move on. If not what is not functioning or if you have a schematic does the wire colour/s give a lead?

#8 65 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Did you check the other end? I agree it looks like its too short to be connected to anything.

Good idea, I’ll trace it back!

#9 65 days ago
Quoted from wayner:

Is the machine fully functional? If so tape it off and move on. If not what is not functioning or if you have a schematic does the wire colour/s give a lead?

It’s got issues but I’m sure this extra wire isn’t one of them. I already moved on, just an interesting find. I’m hoping someone with the same machine also have the extra wire.

#10 65 days ago
Quoted from Terry1:

The wiring and switches look really good for such an old machine
Terry K

Thanks! I’ve spent the last year cleaning it up. This set of wires lives on the bottom side of play field and stay relatively clean. The stuff in the back box was filthy!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside