Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0782.jpg
100_0780.jpg
middlepf.jpg
bsd_rightlane3.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I've seen so many posts about planking on BSD, wondering if this is what it looks like. My pf is nice (the whole machine is nice, clean, and unfaded) but the top right lane shows what might be planking (see pic). I've never paid much attention to it since it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all.
Does that little area affect the game's value? I figured it's around a $2000 game in this condition - thinking about posting it in the fs forum but not sure yet.

The whole game is pictured at photobucket.com/RobertsBSD

bsd_rightlane3.JPGbsd_rightlane3.JPG

#2 11 years ago

That looks like planking to me. My T2 has a slight case of it...

#3 11 years ago

No that is ware from the ball always landing there when it gets shot out. Common problem.

#4 11 years ago

Yeah I was surprised not to see Mylar in this location. Mine is slightly grooved in this location but no other wear. It sure looks like wear from the ball landing there. I have about 5 coats of Turtle Wax in that spot.

#5 11 years ago

Looks like planking to me also. Wear is common there but the vertical lines in the paint are indicative of planking.

#6 11 years ago

No, just pf wear. Planking is when exposed pf wood dries out (no polish for years) and it splits at the grain. This is my understanding of it... If it really bugs you, I suggest touch up paint (acrylic) on the affected area with a little clear to protect it.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

No that is ware from the ball always landing there when it gets shot out. Common problem.

^^^^This!

Anyone with a BSD should put a piece of mylar in that area.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Looks like planking to me also. Wear is common there but the vertical lines in the paint are indicative of planking.

Agreed. The black/gray area in the back is definitely your typical BSD ball launch wear, but those long striations look like planking to me.

#9 11 years ago

Most definitely planking. It's more obvious below the standups.

http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh599/RobertGruskiewicz/BSD/?action=view&current=middlepf.jpg

You likely have a Lenc Smith playfield. More info at the link below.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/3bea9470d6d6bcca

#10 11 years ago

That is planking for sure. Nothing to worry about especially since it's such a small area. Mylar wouldn't hurt there since that area gets a lot of action.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Anyone with a BSD should put a piece of mylar in that area.

My BSD had mylar slapped all over the playfield when I got it. I pulled it all out and found a beautiful playfield underneath. There is a tiny bit of wear in that area (the only wear on the playfield), but no way will I put mylar there. The game was preserved for me using mylar. Now it's my turn to abuse it naked as the day it was born. [insert blood curdling laugh here]

Keep over-protecting your games guys. All the better for me when I get it later. d

#12 11 years ago

Still disagree, I only see a few scratches exposing the undercoat.....

#13 11 years ago

Still disagree, I only see a few scratches exposing the undercoat.....

Really? Did you look any any of the other pics?

middlepf.jpgmiddlepf.jpg

That's planking.

#14 11 years ago

I had a look at the pics... If you are referring to the vertical lines to the right of the female with the red hair's head I also see lines further up that are horizontal?? Firstly, this is not typical for any wood grain, secondly, I don't think RobertG would pick the picture of the top right lane to ask his question. I think the photo is just not very good and this is just some effect on the shot. The other pictures suggest to me a PF that is in a very good condition with a tiny bit of paint wear at the top right lane.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Palerider:

I think the photo is just not very good and this is just some effect on the shot.

While I appreciate you sticking to your guns, that's planking, plain and simple. If you did your homework, you'd find that the Lenc Smith BSD playfields are very prone to planking. I'll bet you any amount of money that's a Lenc Smith playfield.

Ordinarily I don't recommend jumping to conclusions based on pics, but this one is easy.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Palerider:

I had a look at the pics... If you are referring to the vertical lines to the right of the female with the red hair's head I also see lines further up that are horizontal?? Firstly, this is not typical for any wood grain, secondly, I don't think RobertG would pick the picture of the top right lane to ask his question. I think the photo is just not very good and this is just some effect on the shot. The other pictures suggest to me a PF that is in a very good condition with a tiny bit of paint wear at the top right lane.

I tend to agree with this. I'm staring right at the center of the playfield on the game (not a photo) and it looks fine to me. If it's planking, it's just about invisible, as it looks nothing like the top-right area that I initially asked about. That being said, I've never seen a BSD with planking so might be talking out my a**

#17 11 years ago

Yeah... While I appreciate you apreciating me sticking to my guns.... I still think RobertG would've highlighted this area. Also, I had a look at another photo (10 of 22) showing the area further up, next to the left pop-bumper where there were horizontal lines on the photo you attached and this one not no horizontal lines. Looking above the flippers there is no traces of any wear. I would hardly suspect planking on a playfield that show's absolutely no wear other that the little bit we see in the first photo.
The playfield is good...

#18 11 years ago

It's all good, the second photo posted did have some suspect looking lines. I would love for my machines to have a PF like that. I have an old EM machine that I think planking does not quite describe, it more like cratoring....

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from RobertG:

If it's planking, it's just about invisible...

Well you can clearly see it in the pic I posted (which I downloaded from your pics). That's the area where it usually starts. It's not bad planking though. Just the early stages. If it doesn't affect gameplay, who cares?

Quoted from Palerider:

Looking above the flippers there is no traces of any wear. I would hardly suspect planking on a playfield that show's absolutely no wear other that the little bit we see in the first photo.

Planking has nothing to do with wear. Age is probably the biggest factor (once they're put in a game). I have a friend with an otherwise spotless SBM (1980) that's destroyed by severe planking.

#20 11 years ago

phishrace, give it a rest already... RobertG, please take another photo of the area in question from another angle... Show us how nice that PF really is.... Lol

#21 11 years ago

Is it a Lenc Smith or Sun Process PF?

(Look under the left scorecard for a part # ending in LS or SP.)

#22 11 years ago

Is it a Lenc Smith or Sun Process PF?
(Look under the left scorecard for a part # ending in LS or SP.)

It says LS on the PF.

Here's a different angle of the area in question. I think the dots in the playfield art just cause the effect everybody is seeing in the photos.

100_0780.jpg100_0780.jpg 100_0782.jpg100_0782.jpg

#23 11 years ago

RobertG, like I said before, your PF is in good shape....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 84.99
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-planking-on-my-bsd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.