• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7EF45ABE-AB7A-4A86-A20B-2732BE4DA38C (resized).jpeg
6A8E1974-30EC-4C04-9C5E-70D620BE9EEB (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

I’m wondering if this Paragon playfield is restorable or should it just be waxed and enjoyed? But if it can be saved what method would you use to restore the art? Paint? Decal? Both?

I’ve been going through the great restoration threads, especially Vid’s, and would appreciate any insight into this possible project.

6A8E1974-30EC-4C04-9C5E-70D620BE9EEB (resized).jpeg6A8E1974-30EC-4C04-9C5E-70D620BE9EEB (resized).jpeg7EF45ABE-AB7A-4A86-A20B-2732BE4DA38C (resized).jpeg7EF45ABE-AB7A-4A86-A20B-2732BE4DA38C (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

I’m wondering if this Paragon playfield is restorable

Sure is.

Quoted from wayinla:

or should it just be waxed and enjoyed?

That depends on you, what skills you have and/or are able to develop, and how much time you want to put into it.

Quoted from wayinla:

what method would you use to restore the art? Paint? Decal? Both?

That depends on you. How good with you with art, stencling, and paint matching, versus illustrator and photoshop?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

I’m wondering if this Paragon playfield is restorable or should it just be waxed and enjoyed? But if it can be saved what method would you use to restore the art? Paint? Decal? Both?
I’ve been going through the great restoration threads, especially Vid’s, and would appreciate any insight into this possible project.[quoted image][quoted image]

It is salvageable, but I have to recommend mathing out your time vs money to decide on restoration, a playfield swap, or just enjoying it as-is.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I know it's a lot of work and I was thinking of hand painting the sections. It's a pin that had come up for sale and was wondering if I really want to do the work! Game plays 100% but that playfield!

#5 4 years ago

The one I own is way worse in the bonus area. It doesn't affect the play at all. Mine was a deal of a price (and non-working to boot).

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Thanks guys. I know it's a lot of work and I was thinking of hand painting the sections. It's a pin that had come up for sale and was wondering if I really want to do the work! Game plays 100% but that playfield!

These games have gotten harder and harder to acquire. People are really starting to realize how GREAT of a pin it is.

If you have a chance to get it, do it.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

These games have gotten harder and harder to acquire. People are really starting to realize how GREAT of a pin it is.
If you have a chance to get it, do it.

Yeah, I’m kind of torn on this one. I guess if I don’t get the touch ups just right it would still be better than it wearing down to bare wood.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Yeah, I’m kind of torn on this one. I guess if I don’t get the touch ups just right it would still be better than it wearing down to bare wood.

Ok...ill bite. How much is it, and how far away from you?

#9 4 years ago

Clean it really well, throw down a playfield protector, and you’re off to the races. I haven’t ever seen a game of this vintage without cupped inserts, and the protector will fix that too. Given the slow play of this table, the sunken inserts really effect gameplay.

Oh, and get yourself on the CPR waitlist for their Paragon PF run if you decide you want to ever restore it completely.

Paragon is an excellent game, and a keeper in my collection.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from hepgeek:

Given the slow play of this table, the sunken inserts really effect gameplay.

Mine plays very quick. A good wax and jack up the back legs.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Mine plays very quick. A good wax and jack up the back legs.

Mine plays quick too.

People are shocked sometimes.

#12 4 years ago

It can be restored. HSA restored the one that I had and it was in worst condition than yours. I thought someone was in the process of reproducing Paragon playfields.

#13 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to paint in the worn areas and clear coat but I see there’s mylar next the the slings. I’m worried that I’ll pull off more art if I take off the mylar to clear coat.

Will it stand up to some abuse if I use Creatix paint and wax the hell out of it? Or Creatix plus Mylar over the affected area?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Will it stand up to some abuse if I use Creatix paint and wax the hell out of it? Or Creatix plus Mylar over the affected area?

I would use Mylar when you're done painting and waxing. Then play the hell out of it.
If you become addicted to it get a CPR playfield and make it a keeper.
-Mike

#15 4 years ago

Tough playfield to touch up. A lot of details.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-paragon-playfield-salvageable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.