(Topic ID: 38257)

Mystery JJP Programmer revealed! Ted Estes works for JJP!

By riggy469

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 11 years ago

Probably one of those who wanted to be announced later.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Shouldn't put it on Linkedin then!

#4 11 years ago

SECRETS!

#5 11 years ago

Nobody cares, huh? This seems like pretty big news to me.

#6 11 years ago

It is great news but I wonder why people post this on there page when it is not public knowledge.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

It is great news but I wonder why people post this on there page when it is not public knowledge.

Maybe they have an office pool going, to see how long it takes for pinheads to discover it ? Person guessing closest wins.

#10 11 years ago

Well... I'm guessing it's because Estes worked for Spooky Cool before JJP, and interestingly enough Spooky Cool also made the Facebook WOZ game.

Spooky Cool also has Joe Kaminkow, Larry DeMar, Brian Eddy and Chuck Hess.

#11 11 years ago

This is very interestying news. Got me wondering if anyone here knows any more about Ted: I know that he worked on Road Show, Twilight Zone and Demolition Man (which all happen to be favorite games of me, very mode centric and lots of variety) credited for software, but other than that there's nothing in the Pinside archive credited to Ted Estes. Was his work at Williams higher up explaining the lack of games with his name on them? Or did he actually only work on these three games?

#12 11 years ago

Ted did a Topcast interview back in 2007.

Here goes a link. http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

Not sure if the stuff is actually still there to listen to.

I have those podcasts on my old computer. Lots of really good stuff. Listen to them all if you can.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Here's hoping Larry DeMar and Brian Eddy follow suit!

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyconover:

Here's hoping Larry DeMar and Brian Eddy follow suit!

Yeah, that'd be cool! I'd love to see Kaminkow come back as well. That guy did a ton of good stuff, and he is often overlooked.

#15 11 years ago

the battle for Mordor has officially begun....

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

#17 11 years ago

Well this is such a good thing for JJP and is just another example of the great things that are happening there and the future for them.......and therein lies the reason why its crickets on here.....no hater, smart a** comments to deliver on this one....which is what the Pinside discussion on Woz is mostly about....I won't even read a Woz or Hobbit thread here anymore and certainly will never post about it again "pre release"! But hey, that's ok, plenty of other great stuff to talk about on Pinside, the best pin site by far...

So, its back to the Woz google group and that crappy format to get any kind of intelligent discussion, unfortunately....

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

This is very interestying news. Got me wondering if anyone here knows any more about Ted: I know that he worked on Road Show, Twilight Zone and Demolition Man (which all happen to be favorite games of me, very mode centric and lots of variety) credited for software, but other than that there's nothing in the Pinside archive credited to Ted Estes. Was his work at Williams higher up explaining the lack of games with his name on them? Or did he actually only work on these three games?

I think after those games he moved into more of a management/supervisory type of position. Steering things more than directly programming games. I think.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Ted's a Tau Beta Pi

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

Lmao

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I wish I had a better sense of his work as well. I'd guess that's why we're not seeing more comments in this thread. But it's great that Jack is doing well enough to acquire more talent. If (when?) he snatches up an Eddy or a Lawlor this place will explode.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

Anything posted on the web (LinkedIn definitely, but also a Google group, exclusive or not) is fair game and public knowledge. I don't believe people on the Jersey Jack Google group are under NDA.

Anything anyone posts online should be done under the assumption that it is now available to whoever comes along.

#23 11 years ago

It is just good business to have more than one programmer knows his new system. No matter how good Keith is things happen and you don’t want your business to be dependent on one person. Good news.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

I wish I had a better sense of his work as well.

Years ago at Expo, there was a TZ that had the three magnets and did way cooler things with them than any ROM version out there. 9.4H is his work. And 9.4CH is why we'll never see the way cooler three magnet version out there. He didn't like his work hacked.

He is way up there in talent, and very gifted.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Years ago at Expo, there was a TZ that had the three magnets and did way cooler things with them than any ROM version out there. 9.4H is his work. And 9.4CH is why we'll never see the way cooler three magnet version out there. He didn't like his work hacked.
    He is way up there in talent, and very gifted.

Thanks, Lloyd!

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

.......and therein lies the reason why its crickets on here.....no hater, smart a** comments to deliver on this one....which is what the Pinside discussion on Woz is mostly about....I won't even read a Woz or Hobbit thread here anymore and certainly will never post about it again "pre release"! But hey, that's ok, plenty of other great stuff to talk about on Pinside, the best pin site by far...
    So, its back to the Woz google group and that crappy format to get any kind of intelligent discussion, unfortunately....

This is intelligent discussion??

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

This is intelligent discussion??

No, I was waiting for you to come along for that.....like I said....

1 week later
    #28 11 years ago

Cat just let out of the bag on the WOZ Newsgroup, Alex Levy (Pinchroma) is working on WOZ.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

Nobody cares, huh? This seems like pretty big news to me.

I had no idea who he is and still don't.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Cat just let out of the bag on the WOZ Newsgroup, Alex Levy (Pinchroma) is working on WOZ.

What is he working on? That is sweet!

#31 11 years ago

Alex is a programmer. Congrats!

#32 11 years ago

JJP announced the addition of Ted to the software team to help finish off WOZ and continue onto Hobbit. Ted early on, before he was employed by Williams and while a pinball hobbiest, developed the seven digit scoring ROMs for the Bally six digit games. Of course he was involved with the development of the software associated with Twilight Zone and stayed with Williams gaming after Williams dumped pinball.

If you don't recognize Ted Estes name it likely you are "relatively" new to pinball and are unfamiliar with some of the older designers and who developed the Bally seven digit scoring roms for Bally six digit games. Don't feel bad, he probably doesn't know you either

It is good that Ted is back to pinball and will certainly be an asset to JJP development.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

It is good that Ted is back to pinball and will certainly be an asset to JJP development.

Ted is Awesome. You are right it is good to see him back.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Alex has been working on WOZ programming Security for quite some time

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Well... I'm guessing it's because Estes worked for Spooky Cool before JJP, and interestingly enough Spooky Cool also made the Facebook WOZ game.
    » YouTube video

I wish Brian Eddy was hired as well...That would be epic!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-old-news-ted-estes-works-for-jjp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.