(Topic ID: 8892)

is this normal? The cabinet of these machines wood is cracked on there sides.

By love4movies

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by system11
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fade.jpg
    DSCF2872.jpg
    DSCF2871.jpg
    DSCF2870.jpg
    DSCF2869.jpg
    DSCF2868.jpg
    DSCF2856.jpg
    DSCF2855.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

is this normal? The cabinet of these machines wood is cracked on there sides. These are some of the games that selling locally. Stargate $1700 starship troupers $1600. I am a newbie and it might be a dumb question just had to ask.

DSCF2855.jpgDSCF2855.jpg DSCF2856.jpgDSCF2856.jpg DSCF2868.jpgDSCF2868.jpg DSCF2869.jpgDSCF2869.jpg

#2 12 years ago

looks like normal cabinet wear and sun fade. offer him less. lmao lowball the hell out of him. you'll get plenty of ideas from members here regarding the prices. stargate 1200-1400. starship troopers 1100-1300

#3 12 years ago

Not really normal....May have been in a damp or environment that had some water issues. I'd avoid these if you were thinking about buying them.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

water issues

Is it from moisture or could it be from lack of and wood has shrinkage cracks causing the issues with the artwork ? I have seen this before but on the cabinets I seen there was not any other indication it was caused from too much moisture. No rust or mold or water marks inside the cabinet.

#5 12 years ago

Did you open them to see if mold was in there?

#6 12 years ago

It could also be that it has been stored in a storage area without heating over winter at some point. Frost, condensation, temperature changes for a longer period of time is a disaster for these kinds of wood types.

#7 12 years ago

this is the inside of the stargate

DSCF2870.jpgDSCF2870.jpg DSCF2871.jpgDSCF2871.jpg DSCF2872.jpgDSCF2872.jpg

#8 12 years ago

Can pins be found that have nice cabinets for under 2k? Something that could be a showpiece for a game room.

#9 12 years ago

Needs a lilttle clean up inside, but looks real good.

#10 12 years ago

Machines stored in an unheated garage in cold climates will crack like that. Sometimes you can see cracks in the playfield too.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Machines stored in an unheated garage in cold climates will crack like that. Sometimes you can see cracks in the playfield too.

It's probably a lack of moisture related to cold temps causing these issues, safe humidity levels for pins or other household items during the winter months should be kept at 35 to 55% humidity.

#12 12 years ago

all of the pictures on ebay make the cabinet look so nice. Is that the way they are in real life or is that just the way low resolution photos make it look?

#13 12 years ago

1 more picture

fade.jpgfade.jpg

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

unheated garage in cold climates

+1 - cold storage, then hot in summer, then cold again. That does not happen over night either. Probably have been stored for awhile. Play field may be fine though.

#15 12 years ago

I have it on my Firepower as well. Worse even. But FP is 30 years old.
    Since the FP stencils are available and they aren't that complicated I think of restoring the cabinet itself after I am finished with the playfield and backbox.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from love4movies:

Can pins be found that have nice cabinets for under 2k? Something that could be a showpiece for a game room.

Absolutely.

#17 12 years ago

Thanks for your replys. The pins locally here that I have seen so far are in pretty poor condition. My search continues.

#18 12 years ago

Keep looking and take your time. Something will pop up. Lots of games for sale in Seattle lately but that's a long trip for ya!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from love4movies:

yes. my Stargate was 1400, and the cabinet is nearly perfect. came from another collector (someone on this site I believe also).

keep looking man! you'll find something reasonable.

#20 12 years ago

Those look like scrapes to me from the pic..I have seen these before on some Pins
    Sometimes people moving the machine into a tight doorway without putting a blanket
    over the machine will scrape the sides of the cabinet.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

May have been in a damp or environment that had some water issues.

At those prices, keep moving, nothing to see there. I agree they may have been somewhere damp or exposed.

#22 12 years ago

That's raised wood grain (sometimes called 'planking').

It happens when machines have been damp stored, particularly in places prone to condensation. It's not a big issue if you dont mind the cosmetic 'damage' - but if you see it, be very mindful of playfield condition. Check the playfield itself for evidence (common on Gottliebs to have a minor amount), and check the wireforms and other metal parts - they're prone to oxidisation so if they're clean the machine is probably ok.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-normal-the-cabinet-of-these-machines-wood-is-cracked-on-there-sides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.