Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinballGurus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I’m pretty new to EM... simple question. Is it normal for a open switch to read continuity? I wouldn’t think so but???

#2 1 year ago

Not uncommon. The continuity you are reading isn't the switch you are probing; it's somewhere upstream of the switch. Look at the other switches in the circuit.

#3 1 year ago

Yeah- continuity on an EM is typically not as simple as what you might think. I basically dont ever use it unless I am looking at two ends of a wire and want to know if everything in between is good.

You did not ask- but if your looking at switches- your eyes will work better. Just watch the stationry blade. Adjust such that when the moving contact is at its max deflection- the stationary blade moves a bit. This will give you the natural contact/slide you want to self clean switches.

#5 1 year ago

If you do want to verify a contact via continuity you'll have to desolder one of the wires on it first to cut out the rest of the circuit

#6 1 year ago

Don't use continuity check on your meter as it will beep when the resistance is below a set threshold IIRC about 40ohms on a Fluke.

Check using ohms and measure the resistance. What you may be reading as continuity across the contacts maybe because of a path back through the transformer (which is low resistance).

#7 1 year ago

All of the above... and you shouldn't measure resistance in an energized circuit. Best case - the voltages will mess up the measurement, worst case - you could blow out your meter or create a short with the probes.

Nice video, btw...

#8 1 year ago

Blow the meter is not the worst case. You're definitely new to EM. The average human, healthy heart can withstand up to 60 milliamps of AC current before it goes into fibrillation. Depending on where you're poking your fingers and metal probes, one in each hand, in an energized pin -- like the way you did in your video -- you risk up to 1000 times that amount of energy in a neat pathway right through your upper torso. It would only happen once. Be careful, man!

#9 1 year ago

lol... been shocked worse washing my clothes, but true.

#10 1 year ago

Yes, I usually have the game off. lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 999.00
$ 9.95
$ 1,099.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 16.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside