Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN4553 (resized).JPG
DSCN4554 (resized).JPG
DSCN4562 (resized).JPG
DSCN4552 (resized).JPG

#1 9 months ago

Inspecting the turd of a Xenon I recently acquired (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-dirtiest-xenon-on-planet-earth). And noticed some white reside on the bottom of the head, back of the display board, and on some screws.
What is this?
Mold? Corrosion?
It's only in the head. There's no alkaline corrosion on the boards. Somebody snipped the battery in time.
I'm pretty sure the game was stored outside for some time.
DSCN4552 (resized).JPGDSCN4553 (resized).JPGDSCN4554 (resized).JPGDSCN4562 (resized).JPG

#2 9 months ago

corrosion

#3 9 months ago

Mold

#4 9 months ago

Both

#5 9 months ago

Only way to know for sure is to taste it, if you live it was corrosion, if you don't it was mold.

#6 9 months ago

Mold - wipe it down with diluted bleach to kill it.

#7 9 months ago

Can’t you get a mold testing kit at a hardware store to be sure?

#8 9 months ago

Clean it off. Not a big deal.

#9 9 months ago

That’s considered “pitting corrosion”. It’s what happens to aluminum when exposed to water and oxygen. It’s no more harmful than inhaling any other substance found in your average pinball machine. Lol.

Wherever there was moisture, mold is a real possibility as well. I mean, if you are really concerned, you shouldn’t be pulling it apart to clean the corrosion, regardless of what is present. Your average search for pitted aluminum or mold spores can give you the same information and what precautions to take.

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from tomtest:

Only way to know for sure is to taste it, if you live it was corrosion, if you don't it was mold.

Is this the official TomTest?

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Is this the official TomTest?

absolutely!

#12 9 months ago

Looks like aluminum corrosion to me. Get a shop vac and a paint brush to clean it up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 90.00
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Urbandale, IA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside