Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by maffewl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E3418130-E7A5-422E-9EDD-C21CF4F39E7E (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Insert_Question_2_(resized).jpg
Insert_Question_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hey everyone, is this insert ghosting? It's happening on a few of my POTC inserts. I don't really feel anything "rough" when I rub my finger across it. If it is, I'm guessing I use the process in Vid's playfield restoration guide to fix it? Any thoughts are appreciated as I'm not completely convinced it's ghosting.

Ps... I realize the playfield is filthy, I just bought this machine from an operator.

Insert_Question_(resized).jpg

Insert_Question_2_(resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

the clear is separating from the insert. You won't feel it with your finger. this can only be fixed by applying clear between the insert and the clear above it with a serynge or using a exacto blad and creating a fissure and then applying UV resin. There are few threads on how to fix this.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for the comment flashinstinct, I saw the guide in Vid's post but I can't find the type of clear he recommends. Can someone help me out with where I can purchase it?

#4 4 years ago

if you use automotive clear you won't need much. I used Nason Dupont SelectClear 462-00 and the selectactivator 2K 483-84. Thes can be purcahsed at automotive stores like Napa Autoparts in Canada but not sure in the states. You can probaly look on Dupont's site for local distributors. You could also probably go to a auto part store and get automotive clear in a can, spray it in a small container and grab a syringe and grab a few drops. That's all you will really need. the space causing this white mark is thinner than a piece of paper. Make sure to wipe the excess off the playfield and let it cure. Take some novus 2 and just polish that spot.

#5 4 years ago

Curious. There's a SprayMax 2k semi-matte (spray can) I could use for a different project. Would that work or should it be high gloss? I ask because I'd hate to brick a can just for such a small amount of product. I know with the SprayMax you only get around 48 hours to use once it's activated, and I don't have much use for a high gloss other than to fix these inserts.

Also, do I need to use a horse syringe or is there something smaller that I can use?

Thanks for the help.

#6 4 years ago

Only if you also want to get into life threatening gasses.... You'll need a respirator, bunny suit and all the fixin's.

You should be able to find a tube of UV curable clear in a small tube at AutoZone or O'Reillys.

#7 4 years ago

To answer your question, yes that is ghosting.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Only if you also want to get into life threatening gasses.... You'll need a respirator, bunny suit and all the fixin's.
You should be able to find a tube of UV curable clear in a small tube at AutoZone or O'Reillys.

Thanks for the help. I'm cool buying it from wherever. Can you link me to something like what you are suggesting. I just don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work, nor do I want to mess the playfield up.

Also, How would you be able to cure it with a UV light if you are placing a block down on it to make sure it's flat? Light it from the underside?

#9 4 years ago

It does not look terrible. If it is only one, clean the pf and enjoy the pin.

#10 4 years ago

Not offhand. There was a tube listed in the Vid playfield thread. Pretty sure that is the one I got but I'd have to tear my workshop apart to find it. I'll try to look for the pointer later.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

It does not look terrible. If it is only one, clean the pf and enjoy the pin.

Thanks for the comment. This isn't the only one, and the playfield is currently being torn down for a complete rebuild so now would be a great time to remedy the issue.

image_(resized).jpeg

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Not offhand. There was a tube listed in the Vid playfield thread. Pretty sure that is the one I got but I'd have to tear my workshop apart to find it. I'll try to look for the pointer later.

That would be very helpful. Thanks!

#13 4 years ago

Would something like this work?

http://www.fishwest.com/p/loon-uv-clear-fly-finish-flow-5oz?child=1027169&set=.5OZ|CLEAR&gclid=CPigoPOywMsCFUI6gQod4AcOag

Here are some vids of it being used.

Any advice is appreciated!

#14 4 years ago

Bump... any thoughts on this? I bought some and tried it out on some scrap plastic. It dries clear and hard like an epoxy, but when I scratched it off, it was brittle. Similar to scratching off a small puddle of dried super-glue or fingernail polish.

2 years later
#15 1 year ago

Did you ever try this? How'd it turn out? It's available on Amazon and doesn't seem to have the bait and switch problem that people buying UV clearcoat pens have had.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from JoshinDC:

Did you ever try this? How'd it turn out? It's available on Amazon and doesn't seem to have the bait and switch problem that people buying UV clearcoat pens have had.

Sure did. I used an x-acto to slightly cut around the insert and a needle syringe to inject the uv clear. The red and green inserts were done in the attached image (the right side of the green is a reflection, not ghosting). 2 years later, still going strong.

E3418130-E7A5-422E-9EDD-C21CF4F39E7E (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside