Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsanity.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#106 6 years ago

Of course, its just that a lot of buyers want to jump in at the deep end first and to be able to show off the shiny new thing. In this epoch of facebook and various other forms of vacuous social media its understandable even if slightly illogical to me.

One JJP/Stern LE or five players condition B list Bally Williams. If I was limited by disposable income and forced to make a choice I'd take the latter any day.

As it stands I simply choose not to buy at that price point as I can't see that kind of value in a single pinball machine regardless of the manufacturer.

I have just finished resurrecting the last of half a dozen non working EMs (which I don't even enjoy playing) and the sense of satisfaction I got from that far outweighs opening up a cardboard box.

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from Requis:

Wow 59 pins in your collection....cmon have you played TWD? That game is sooo worth NIB pricing a bunch of us were playing that game and found out they were rereleasing it. We all decided to buy one NIB as not alot of them used here in Canada....

Yes, but thats 25 years worth of buying/restoring/selling then rinse and repeat to trade up until you finally can justify to outlay funds on a bunch of 20 foot container imports and even then they always come with the percentage of obligatory non-working container space fillers.

These days it seems everyone wants to start their collection at the high end/LE and stay there.

I played TWD at a friends house along with half a dozen other various Stern LE machines he has and yes it is a good player, but once they went past the 10k mark here in Australia for a full featured machine the justification for the outlay just wasn't there for me personally.

And at 8250 for an entry level Pro, most operators aren't going to justify that either which is unfortunate as that is where the real hobby resurgence lies.

Quoted from Baiter:

I get the impression this poll is only about NIB rather than the entire hobby, as evidenced by thread responses being all over the board.
    Considering I've known many people to get used games for next to nothing it's absolutely affordable, for everyone. In fact I know of a pinball machine available today for $50. Needs a little work, but it's cheaper than a copy of Super Mario Odyssey.

I think the pinball hobby is splitting into two subgroups, the pre 2012 collectors who remember quite well when pricing amongst the NIB manufacturers was whilst rising still quite reasonable given the end product, and those who have started their collections in the last 2-3? years and see 10k plus machines for an entry level machine as the norm.

On that note, if NIB pins were subject to regular depreciation values like any other piece of electronic entertainment equipment, sales would be a fraction of what they are for home use collectors, IMO.

Resale value within this new breed post 2012 collector community is the main factor sustaining home sales and justifying by proxy the corresponding price increases.

2 weeks later
    #200 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

What excuse will they use to back out of a deal if not the wife?

We live on two different continents, yet the same well worn excuses inevitably make an appearance.

The additional $220 shipping last minute dealbreaker on an $8500 machine always tickles me as well. Never wrap a machine for interstate transport unless the money has actually cleared and in your bank account.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinsanity.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable?tu=pinsanity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.