Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 6 years ago

NIB pinball machines have never been affordable for the “average” collector. That’s why the overwhelming majority of pinball enthusiast buy much older games. Let them get routed for years. Buy them used. Clean them up. They will still play and the price will be less.

#50 6 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about it much. I read on pinside that the bubble was going to be bursting soon!!! Cheap machines for everyone once again!!!!!!!!

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

You're not going to find them on PS or Ebay or even CL. Networking my friend. Also sometimes things just don't pop up in your backyard you might have to drive a little. Picked up a $100 Star Gazer but had to go to Kentucky to get it. Also old school word of mouth and such can shake things loose from people that have a game they're getting rid of. Got a free Cheetah that way and a $100 Gottlieb Magnotron.

Yes for sure. Create a network is the key. I love pinside and other mediums as was of selling and buying games but I have about 20 or 25 numbers saved in my phone and I go through those first. It goes both ways though when doing things that way. I have to pass some deals on sometimes. It all comes out in the wash though

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Hey guys, when i started this thread it was based on affordability for the average guy - there are lots of well to do pinheads that have all the latest and greatest LE's etc. and good for them. It is also the rise in pricing over the last few years that was open for discussion. The NIB pricing is getting stupid expensive IMO for the average person - especially if you have a significant other that doesn't get the need for pins @ 8-10K a pop -

I think that was what most people were getting at. 8-10 thousand dollar toys are not designed for the average guy and that average guys should focus on older or project machines. I teach school so my income is well below that of probably most one here. Yet I have owned 70 something pinball machines and have a great time in the hobby. I have a brand new game but I didn’t buy it NIB. NIB has never been affordable for me yet the hobby is general is

1 week later
    #229 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Dude, you're killing Vince's metaphor.

I love old school!! Lol

1 week later
    #242 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I got started in pinball in 1973 with the purchase of a well-routed EM for $500. In today's money that is $2400. I still have that game and if I sold it today, I might get $800 for it. Clearly I have lost money on that purchase. I guess pinball was too expensive even 50+ years ago. That did not deter me as I have few more games today.

40+ years of fun is worth $1600 right.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable?tu=jmountjoy111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.