Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 6 years ago

The entry price has gone up compared to years ago. $250 is probably around the baseline these days for an EM or early solid state game which might or might not be at least partially working.

I can still get games for that price, but you have to be able to respond and move very quickly. It's pretty competitive out there--lots of people hunting for games while the supply is dwindling. That's why I always cringe these days when a game gets parted out unnecessarily. There are a lot of people who would tackle a project that someone else might think is not worthwhile.

For a fully working, plug & play game--you can still get EMs for $400-$600. For early solid state, $500 is usually about the floor Although, I saw a working dynomite in my area for $400 a few days ago.

You also have to be open to settling on whatever titles happen to become available--if you want a specific game, you'll either have to pay for it, or simply get lucky in finding one.

So, if you want to get into this hobby, then yes, you need to have some spare funds for it. Any hobby that requires parts and materials can be costly.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

On a comparative basis, IMO pins work out to be cheaper than golf or power boating. But on an absolute basis, it is not a cheap hobby. Especially, if you cannot do your own trouble-shooting ad repairs. And even of you do your own work, you are looking at buying more than a few dollars worth of tools.

It can really be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

#151 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

I find it ridiculous that some WPC95 pins are more than NIB pins. The pins are 20 years old! I know the demand is high for them but still...

Rarity and desirability tend to drive up the price.

#176 6 years ago

Despite the rising prices, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt for bargains, hidden treasures, and neglected games.

Not everybody wants to or has the time to do that, though. But on the other hand, there are some collectors who go far beyond that and pick-up games in bulk with a fair amount of frequency. Wish I had the contacts (and space) for that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.