Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Requis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 6 years ago

I’m completely new to the hobby...and will agree it’s an expensive one...had originally only wanted to get one pin for our family game room..and then Landed here researching...and low and behold I bought 4 NIB...I blame all of you for that. ? Adding I am hooked, and looking to buy more and haven’t Even taken possession of the 4 I ordered....but agree there are other expensive hobbies out there that cost a fortune...I stopped collecting cars...and think this one is way more affordable, eye of the beholder I guess.

Cheers,

Requis

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why must you only buy NIB? Expand your horizons. Buy a non working early SS bally or williams. Learn to get it going. Find one for $200-400. put time and effort in cleaning. Fixing. Restoring. By the time you are done. You have a nice working and playing game for $500. Many early SS games are fun as all shit. My atlantis and my alien poker, I have $500 invested in both. Many say they are the nicest they have ever seen or played. Having a nice playing example is the key to enjoying the experience. Games you may have dis'd before because they played like shit, you will find 10x's more enjoyable when you play a nice example, that is playing correctly and leveled correctly. With nice warm white LED's or natural bulbs.

OMG that’s sounds like sooo much work not the way I wanted to go as I didn’t need a project I have so may of those and a couple of teenagers to boot....I just wanted to play, out of the box...and for warranty I could call a guy to come and fix it

Having read and researched about all the pins I am buying I’ve documented settings, tricks and tips, mods and addons....and let me just say wow...what a trip , and happy to be here... to absorb all the great knowledge...I needed a new hobby and loved pinball in my teens and have pages of things I want to try when my pins arrive...now that I can afford to buy new with the exception of a twilight zone that I am hoping to be completely modded and jacked up with leds, DMD etc....all new pins for me....why...because I don’t want to do any up front diagnostics on old tech or pins I want to get a base line on new tech...and actually get an appreciation for what I like, what works and what doesn’t...I’ve also playing a lot of pinball these past 9 months, and actually enjoy and love the commitment both time and money people have put into the hobby it’s awesome...

Back on topic I have to agree this hobby while expensive is not a placeholder to something better...when I was 16 I wanted to buy my first pinball...CDN in 1989 was 3500....used at the arcade I use to goto...bought a car instead....glad I did that

Today is no different as choices abound for where I can spend my money, same for everyone here and the fact that there are typically price point choices that can be had there is no barrier to entry at all, can’t afford super duper premium...ok buy a pro and mod the shit out of it till you get to where you need to....Adding there is huge uptake...when I told friends and coworkers what I was up to and what’s being delivered to my house without exception everyone has genuinely been excited and want to come over when ready Whole bunch of us all reliving our youth on cool and exciting themes, evolved technology, and repurposing of what works and a little experimentation are creating new memories...what’s not to love and a small price to pay to get into something wildly entertaining where we aren’t all at the bar staring at our phones or the next hot blonde who walks in...although that’s fun too...have to say though big thank you to everyone on the forum for what is turning out to be a blast...

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Of course, its just that a lot of buyers want to jump in at the deep end first and to be able to show off the shiny new thing. In this epoch of facebook and various other forms of vacuous social media its understandable even if slightly illogical to me.
    One DI/Stern LE or five players condition B list Bally Williams. If I was limited by disposable income and forced to make a choice I'd take the latter any day.
    As it stands I simply choose not to buy at that price point as I can't see that kind of value in a single pinball machine regardless of the manufacturer.

Wow 59 pins in your collection....cmon have you played TWD? That game is sooo worth NIB pricing a bunch of us were playing that game and found out they were rereleasing it. We all decided to buy one NIB as not alot of them used here in Canada....

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Problem number one: I don't want just any games - I want my favorites.
    Problem number two: I want to collect and never sell any of my games.
    Problem number three: My wife thinks I have more than enough games already.
    As a result this hobby is no longer affordable for me (to add any more games).

DOH, love your Shelby, I just sold mine Blue with white stripes....and Oh look I can buy more pins

I think everyone would agree and I've seen a bunch of posts touching on it. Affordability is not just from a pinball standpoint....EVERYTHING has gone up in price. Labour, Cost of Goods, the list goes on. I thought I would share funny story...I told some of my coworkers I bought some pinballs...everyone is like cool...pricing came up and this thread in terms of affordability and everyone had a story about how expensive their respective hobbies are now compared to when they started ...Snowmobile's, Boats ( have you seen the price of a wake board boat (Holy cow), one of the girls who was listening in the wings chimes in laughing you guys buy toys I buy fashion and it ain't cheap either..she buys 3K and 4K thousand dollar purses....Head slapping forhead...

1 month later
    #243 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I got started in pinball in 1973 with the purchase of a well-routed EM for $500. In today's money that is $2400. I still have that game and if I sold it today, I might get $800 for it. Clearly I have lost money on that purchase. I guess pinball was too expensive even 50+ years ago. That did not deter me as I have few more games today.

Lol, but my math is telling me great investment and that’s a lot of years to have fun... a few more games ....now that’s funny I looked over at your profile thinking you might have 7-10 pins...I had to do a double take 59 pins holy shit that’s a lot.....I’ve only ever seen that many at th museum in the US...if ever you do an open house let me know what I need to do to get invited ...I’d be the guy walking around looking at them all. I can only imagine! Very cool!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Requis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable?tu=Requis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.