Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The “this is a rich man’s hobby!!!” Outrage almost always comes from newbies who think the hobby is $7,000 games.

Not attacking you personally; I am going to provide clarity with my thoughts.

I remember when AFM on eBay was $3000 in 2009, BSD was $800, and Whitewater was sub-$2000. TS was not even $1800, Johnny Mnemonics could be had all day long for $1200, and Scared Stiff was $2500.

I am coming up on my sixth year in this hobby. I'm not brand spanking new, and I'm not a seasoned veteran in terms of ownership. I loved playing pinball since JP was a brand new game in 1993, and I played AFM when I was 15 back in 1996. I have always loved plunging the silver ball.

I say this because I did not need "Pinball Arcade" or some other device that got mainstream's attention to our hobby. I have loved playing pinball since I was 12. So for me, it's frustrating to have waited until I was a commissioned officer in the USAF, finally able to afford these machines, only to watch prices take off like a rabid rocket in 2012. I put some decent time into the DE/Sega games, enjoying those games, before stepping up to the "oooooooo, ahhhhhh" games of the 90s B/W era.

So, what I have done to help offset the "ouch" factor is I buy one or maybe two games a year. I am bringing home CFTBL late Dec/early January, and that will be my first new addition to my collection since 01 January 2017. I was used to buying a game every 3-4 months, but I realized I either had to slow my purchasing or buy cheaper games. I know what I want: TZ, CFTBL, maybe SS, MBr and Alien/Houdini. In order to afford those games at the prices all of those are at, I made the realization to slow my spending on pinball way down. It's just the way it is for me, subjectively, and I am very happy with that.

Hope that did not come off as preachy. That was not my intention. I would rather buy my games a bit more slowly and enjoy each new addition than spend $20k-$25k in a single year.

2 weeks later
    #220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I can't see how that could possibly make a difference in a divorce? Unless your wife's lawyer is an idiot (always wishful thinking in a divorce).

You would if you came home from a work event that took you out of your natural surroundings for 1-3 weeks/1-3 months, get home, and your account has been drained.

Ask some military members about it. You'd be amazed how heartless some people can be.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable?tu=NPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.