Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HookedonPinonics.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 6 years ago

Was it ever really affordable? I know that several years ago you could pick up older machines on the cheap. Same goes today. That's just the market. But NIB was always on the luxury consumer end. NIB Williams went for 3k-4k in the early 90's. Like many have said in this thread, pinball machines are marketed towards the operator. I believe the surgence of home ownership comes to the fact that us adults who grew up in the arcades dreamed of having our own machines. As we got older and incomes increased we made those dreams come true to where now it seems the manufactures are marketing to the home buyer as well (Jersey Jack). It all depends on what "affordable" means to you. If you are passionate about your hobby and it brings absolute joy to you, you will find a way to make the money appear. Sometimes it takes cutting corners in other aspects of your life to make buying machines easier. We don't drive fancy cars or spend money on nice clothes and other things I can care less about. I am very blessed to have a wife who is as much or even more passionate about pinball then I am so when it comes to spending money on one of these bad boys, we don't look back. Yes we cringe and sometimes cry on the inside but at the end of the day these things bring so much happiness that the money spent is justified. Some families spend NIB money on a week vacation. But that only lasts a week. Pinball machines and the experiences those give you with friends and family can last a lifetime. We are new in purchasing machines and the 2 or so months we have had ours I have spent more time hanging out with my brother playing pinball these past months then I have had hanging out with him in the past 10 years. That says a lot to me and every dime is worth that. Especially the time that my wife and I spend together playing. As others have said, we do get wrapped up in this and see other peoples collections and want to be like them and own them all but at the end of the day its whatever makes you happy. You don't know these other collectors stories or what corners they cut or sacrifices they took in life to get there. Yes some people are super rich and have the means to buy what they please but I rather be poor and work my ass off to buy one machine then to be super wealthy and buy a lot for that one machine will mean so much more to me when I am playing it. If something seems out of your reach, plan ahead and a get a game plan going. Make goals. Make it a goal to buy one machine a year if you can. Even if that means picking up a bartending job on the weekends or learning a new trade like learning how to fix these things and selling your talents on the side. This hobby doesn't have to be about owning your own either. It can also be you finding these out in the wild and spending time with friends playing that way and becoming a local champion or a casual enthusiast. I know that some of the best players in the world don't even own machines. They just play on location. I do wish these machines would be cheaper though and I think in due time they will mellow out to where there will be so much competition in the industry and supply that something will have to give. One would hope...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HookedonPinonics.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable?tu=HookedonPinonics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.