Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 126 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blake
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinball still affordable to average Joe?”

• NIB pricing is too high 287 votes
      52%
    • NIB pricing is what it should be 38 votes
      7%
    • Re-sale pricing is getting to be too much as well 229 votes
      41%

(Multiple choice - 554 votes by 418 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quote-well-columbus-wasn-t-looking-for-america-my-man-but-that-turned-out-to-be-pretty-okay-vince-vaughn-63-27-47 (resized).jpg
    CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif
    B3213EA6-2C79-42C5-AA6B-E6D64BA6C121 (resized).png
    IMG_7602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7605 (resized).JPG
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    g138126905174655302 (resized).jpg
    pinimage (resized).jpg
    IMG_0786 (resized).PNG
    IMG-20171202-WA0006 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171203-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20171201-WA0011 (resized).jpeg
    There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I don't understand a joint bank account either.

I have not looked at a bank statement, bill or tax return in 20 years. I could honestly not tell you how much my pay cheque even is. I would rather masterbate with a cheese grater than deal with that mundane shit. Joint banking is awesome. Paying for this and that, kids activities, scheduling a house hold no fucking thanks. Never dealing with that shit is one of the best parts of being married.

#202 6 years ago

Yes, watch what you buy and as I am into EM's they are cheaper by far.

#203 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-up:

Does no one else do this?

I've been living in sin for 20yrs. We keep finances separate and it's awesome. She doesn't GAF what I buy.

#204 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I have not looked at a bank statement, bill or tax return in 20 years. I could honestly not tell you how much my pay cheque even is. I would rather masterbate with a cheese grater than deal with that mundane shit. Joint banking is awesome. Paying for this and that, kids activities, scheduling a house hold no fucking thanks. Never dealing with that shit is one of the best parts of being married.

Same here. Wife pays the household bills, all I care about is if the electricity is on when I get home. The money from her part time job we use as our "fun money" that pays for extras like going out and bar bills. She pays the bills and I take care of maintenance on the house, yard and cars, that's how we split those tasks.

#205 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I teach school so my income is well below that of probably most one here.

That's highly relative to where you live. Where I am, the average teacher salary is more than $30k more than the average family income.

Quoted from gliebig:

I've been living in sin for 20yrs. We keep finances separate and it's awesome. She doesn't GAF what I buy.

Happily married, but so much this! We keep a joint account for the kids tuitions and other expenses, everything else is separate. I've got the Corvette and the Porsche... and she has nothing to complain about. If she wants to upgrade, she's free to do so, provided she keeps up her end of the bills.

#206 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

. Paying for this and that, kids activities, scheduling a house hold no fucking thanks. Never dealing with that shit is one of the best parts of being married.

Yeah my baby isn't old enough to have activities yet so my opinion may change when she gets to that stuff.

#207 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-up:

I just browsed through most of this thread. All the stuff about the wife/girl friend objecting just cracks me up. I've been with my wife for 11 years. She's not into pins or arcades much, but she doesn't have any say in what I spend my money on and I have no say in what she spends hers on. We get along just fine and have completely taken out the chance for any money arguments, which seems to be the start of most things with other couples I know anyway. All you have to do is never have a shared bank account. Split up your mtg/utility bills evenly according to the percentage of money you each make, you pay bill a, b, and x, and she pays c, e, and y, and you each have the rest to do whatever you'd like to do with, so long as the house is paid for first, because obviously that's the most important thing. Neither person needs to touch the others leftovers.
    Does no one else do this?
    I've got around 100 pins/arcades...... not a peep about it from the wife, as it should be. She goes crazy with her hobbies too and it's great. We both get to explore our passions, whatever they may be at the moment, without having to bother the other about spending whatever it costs. If the money is there, have at it. If it's not, save until it is and proceed
    I bought one of the Rob Zombie pins from Spooky last year and she just laughed. Of course, I did the same thing when she bought a bunch of stuff to build her chicken coops more like a house......

i'm kind of in the same boat. I can do what I want and she doesn't say anything. it's a pretty stress free relationship. Keep our accounts separate as well. Tho, I do manage her's for her because she sucks at money management. But we split all our expenses down the middle. It's a great system and never causes any fights or drama.

#208 6 years ago

I sleep with my bookkeeper.

#209 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Same here. Wife pays the household bills, all I care about is if the electricity is on when I get home. The money from her part time job we use as our "fun money" that pays for extras like going out and bar bills. She pays the bills and I take care of maintenance on the house, yard and cars, that's how we split those tasks.

Quoted from Mr68:

I sleep with my bookkeeper.

Ditto.

She handles the day to day, month to month, and I handle all the long term planning...college funds, retirement funds...etc...

Works for us.

#210 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't understand a joint bank account either.

I don't understand separate accounts for a married couple with the same goals.

#211 6 years ago

Lots of great deals on new pins and not selling. So I think the secondary market may be getting a little more affordable. EX. ST pro by me original owner is asking 4,100 and still has not sold. I sold a MMR with black LE trim for 7k original owner. Hopefully things are going to become more affordable for more people.

#212 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Yes we don't have the same goals.
    My goal is to buy pinball machines, hers isn't.

#213 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I would rather masterbate with a cheese grater

lol

#214 6 years ago

Her goals are probably super boring anyways.

#215 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Her goals are probably super boring anyways.

She actually does fun things instead of sitting at home and doing my book keeping all day

#216 6 years ago

I sure you know it's only a joke. How could she not be fun and married to you. You got to have fun in life or why bother.

#217 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Go through a divorce sometime. Then you will have a better opportunity to understand the separate accounts.

#218 6 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Hey guys, when i started this thread it was based on affordability for the average guy - there are lots of well to do pinheads that have all the latest and greatest LE's etc. and good for them. It is also the rise in pricing over the last few years that was open for discussion. The NIB pricing is getting stupid expensive IMO for the average person - especially if you have a significant other that doesn't get the need for pins @ 8-10K a pop -

Wait, but the $4k NIB games of yesteryear were designed for the "average guy"? The "average guy" wants one pinball machine, max, for his basement, and when he finds out what they cost, he either moves on to a foosball table, or picks up a cheap EM on Craigslist. And the "average guy's" SO wouldn't have thought $4k NIB was a "reasonable" expenditure back in 2005 any more than he/she thinks $8k is "reasonable" today. For your SO, the price hasn't changed at all, it was and remains simply "way too much for a toy."

#219 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Go through a divorce sometime. Then you will have a better opportunity to understand the separate accounts.

I can't see how that could possibly make a difference in a divorce? Unless your wife's lawyer is an idiot (always wishful thinking in a divorce).

#220 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I can't see how that could possibly make a difference in a divorce? Unless your wife's lawyer is an idiot (always wishful thinking in a divorce).

You would if you came home from a work event that took you out of your natural surroundings for 1-3 weeks/1-3 months, get home, and your account has been drained.

Ask some military members about it. You'd be amazed how heartless some people can be.

#221 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You would if you came home from a work event that took you out of your natural surroundings for 1-3 weeks/1-3 months, get home, and your account has been drained.
    Ask some military members about it. You'd be amazed how heartless some people can be.

True love is hard to find. Sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

#222 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I would rather masterbate with a cheese grater

Lol that’s awesome!

#223 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

True love is hard to find. Sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend...

Well that sucks but look at it this way, at least you found out before you married her.

#224 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well that sucks but look at it this way, at least you found out before you married her.

CBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gifCBB6E537-E684-4C74-8DCD-3DCB424C612E.gif

#225 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

My friend had a different take on it.

VinceVince

#226 6 years ago

Depends on what you define as “hobby”

When buying and trading is the hobby for you then it can become unaffordable rather quick.

When you are content with what you got and play the new things on expo’s and in the wild. And you call that the hobby, pretty affordable

#227 6 years ago

Columbus finding America wasn't good for everyone.

#228 6 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Columbus finding America wasn't good for everyone.

Dude, you're killing Vince's metaphor.

#229 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Dude, you're killing Vince's metaphor.

I love old school!! Lol

#230 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I think what my friend is trying to say here is that love is blind.

#231 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Cars
    Wine
    Whiskey
    Cigars
    And even pinball
    Can be found on every economic level.

I see that a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend and husband is missing from that list!

#232 6 years ago

Not on the list due to the fact that none of them are affordable at any level.

#233 6 years ago

My wife is just about as into pinball as I am and she keeps telling people that we will move more things out of the way WHEN we get more pins to make room for them. So she "kind of" enables me and just says "As long as we can afford it". That's cool in one way, but I'm going to have to throttle back on NIBs though. Maybe start to sell/swap out when I buy more, now that a reasonable collection (count wise) is established.

If you're not into boats, ATVs, snowmobiles, big extravagant vacations, or non-entertaining collectibles, I think this is a good hobby to have as a trade off. Expensive for the more modern pins - yes! But I would rather have a NIB pro pin than go to Hawaii for week for both of us. The pin entertainment time volume is decent for my wife & I at this stage in our lives.

It is kind of funny though. I weigh some expenses based on a average NIB pin price. Put a patio on the house that would hardly get used, or buy a pin? Pin won for the last 2 years. May not win next year though ... we still need to progress with home renovations ... eventually. And pin prices keep going up.

#234 6 years ago

In about 24 hours, I will be wrapping up a 5-hour session with a solid selection of PS top 100 pins on free play. Cost: $15.

My beer drinking hobby is more expensive than that.

#235 6 years ago

answer to OP question...
    1. if stupid
    2. if impatient
    3. if not creative
    4. if desperate
    5. if now, repeat ad nausea #1...

#236 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfre81:

In about 24 hours, I will be wrapping up a 5-hour session with a solid selection of PS top 100 pins on free play. Cost: $15.
    My beer drinking hobby is more expensive than that.

That’s awesome! The wife and I went to Florida a few months ago to visit her family and replay museum was 3 miles from our condo. I snuck out for 3 hours to play all of their great games for the cost of $13. Wish my hometown had a similar setup

#237 6 years ago

More crowded and loud than any arcade I've ever been in, because it's only open to the public twice a month, and it's NYE weekend. I just mainly used it as an exercise in getting back into playing real pinball. Nudging, Live catching, bounce passing, if I drained, big whoop, start another game. Got no sort of score worth crowing about, and felt no worse for it. Tried a bunch of new pins without really knowing rules. Walked up to random ones with ball in shooter lane people walked away from and would play a ball of this or that while staking out another table I had eyes on. I was a 36-year-old kid in the candy store.

#238 6 years ago

Not anymore, my requirements for a machine have become specific. This usually means its unavailable or over priced.
    Or too far away.

#239 6 years ago

I think it is. I mean rotating games these days is pretty easy. Say you bought a NIB pin chances are you will lose a little on a resale. Some have even jumped in price.

However, I do stratch my head at the jump. I havent been here in a while and some of these prices on do shock me.

I go through phases throughout the year. Winter is pinball. Summer is auto. Just got done supercharging my 2017 MX5.

#240 6 years ago

Back in the late 90s when people were picking up pins for under $2k, that was a fortune to me, simply couldn't afford it so it was never even an option. Today though I can afford them so I guess I'm the inverse of everyone else where I couldn't afford them back in the day but can finally afford them today.

#241 6 years ago

I got started in pinball in 1973 with the purchase of a well-routed EM for $500. In today's money that is $2400. I still have that game and if I sold it today, I might get $800 for it. Clearly I have lost money on that purchase. I guess pinball was too expensive even 50+ years ago. That did not deter me as I have few more games today.

#242 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I got started in pinball in 1973 with the purchase of a well-routed EM for $500. In today's money that is $2400. I still have that game and if I sold it today, I might get $800 for it. Clearly I have lost money on that purchase. I guess pinball was too expensive even 50+ years ago. That did not deter me as I have few more games today.

40+ years of fun is worth $1600 right.

1 week later
    #243 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

Lol, but my math is telling me great investment and that’s a lot of years to have fun... a few more games ....now that’s funny I looked over at your profile thinking you might have 7-10 pins...I had to do a double take 59 pins holy shit that’s a lot.....I’ve only ever seen that many at th museum in the US...if ever you do an open house let me know what I need to do to get invited ...I’d be the guy walking around looking at them all. I can only imagine! Very cool!

#244 6 years ago

I don't feel people are being priced "out of the hobby". They will still buy and sell pins, and if they can't afford one, they will eventually find a way to. That said, that doesn't mean they will enjoy paying what they pay. I've only been buying/selling for five years now, and it's sad to me personally that in just that span of time, a lot of older DMD games have jumped up a grand or two in price. Newer Sterns on the used market are also holding their value. Good for sellers, unfortunate for buyers.

#245 6 years ago

So is this thread like the Floyd Mayweather/#meetoo interview? "#MeToo movement? Whats that like when someone says to you "hey I got Rolls Royce and your like "yeah, #me too". Or is it like when someone says "I just got a billion dollars." And your like "yea, #metoo."

#246 6 years ago

Did Illinois just legalize weed too?

#247 6 years ago

yes but patience and the ability and willingness to work on them is essential from my experience.
    thanks
    blake

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-hobby-still-affordable/page/5?hl=bronty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.