(Topic ID: 269127)

Is this game actually tilting or is the MPU locking up?

By ChadTower

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ChadTower
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

It gets all the way through the MPU boot, through the playfield reset, coins up, starts a game with playfield setup, then BOOM locks up/tilts. Tilt mech all looks decent. I'm in the end stages of shopping this game out and it did play fully until very recently. I did pull the MPU to put in an anyPin NVRAM module but that's not in there now. I pulled it back out when the game started acting weird and put the 5101 in there. I'm wondering if I should pull the MPU again and reflow all the headers.

The video shows the whole sequence from power up to locking up:

#2 3 years ago

Did you check your 5 volts on the SDB and the MPU? I think your voltage is dipping.

#3 3 years ago

I'll check that and shore it up if it's low. Good place to start. Thanks!

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

Tilt mech all looks decent.

Your problem is related to one of the three tilt switches being sensed as closed, either the capacitor on the plumb-bob mech is shorted, the ball in the roll cage or the weighted tilt switch next to the playfield flipper mechs. One of these is causing the tilt to be activated and is stopping the ball from being ejected to start play until it's resolved.

1 month later
#5 3 years ago

It was the horizontal tilt switch under the playfield that was shorted. Must have gotten bent somehow during the playfield cleaning. Could have sworn I checked that but hey you were right. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-game-actually-tilting-or-is-the-mpu-locking-up?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.