View topic image gallery

image-3.jpg
FSBG1[1].jpg
image-3.jpg
004.JPG
bvpf.jpg
bvflyer.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I have a 74 Bally Bon Voyage, and have owned it for a long time. The game wasn't a big run in the first place, around 1585. I've seen a few around and my pf is different than any other I've seen. Every one I've seen has writing above the flippers (center), except mine. The only one I've seen like it is on the original flyer. *see photos
My pf has never been touched up and looks exactly like the day I bought it. I bought it from a pin hoarders house years ago, it was buried under 5 other pins. He actually built shelves and had them stacked from floor to ceiling!
Does anybody know if this game is a prototype, or just an early run?

bvflyer.jpgbvflyer.jpg bvpf.jpgbvpf.jpg 004.JPG004.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Serial number might help sort it out.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Completely off topic, but that looks like one of the most borinig pins that I have ever seen.

#4 11 years ago

Actually, a nice rule set and a spectacular backglass. The women are drawn well. Also there is a plane in the sky with luggage falling out!

Not a prototype, virtually all released games had the "outhole bonus" stuff screened on the PF while the brochure and prototypes did not.

#5 11 years ago

Those are actually people falling out of the plane in the backglass....not luggage!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Actually, a nice rule set and a spectacular backglass. The women are drawn well. Also there is a plane in the sky with luggage falling out!
Not a prototype, virtually all released games had the "outhole bonus" stuff screened on the PF while the brochure and prototypes did not.

Mine doesn't have the outhole bonus stuff on it. It's the bottom pic, the center is the standard one I've seen all over the place. Mine is the only one I've ever seen that doesn't have it (aside from the brochure).
And it really is a great game, very difficult to get a free game. I've had tons of pins come and go but I could never let this one leave. There's a lot going on in it to keep my attention. I will say this, I've sold several Xenons.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

Those are actually people falling out of the plane in the backglass....not luggage!

Yeah, they are little people falling out of the plane Most people would never notice unless you point it out to them.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

actually its 2 people falling out and a bag

#9 11 years ago

I don't know about the game play, but yea, Dave Christenson sure knew how to draw voluptuous ladies. Also of note, the 'insert coin here' belt buckle on the closer woman. Not so subtle reference?! And yes, I agree with the poster, no graphics would seem to be a prototype.

#10 11 years ago

As Lloyd mentioned, what's the serial number? That should tell you whether its a proto or not.

#11 11 years ago

Very well could be a sample game. As stated above the serial number should designate if it is. Although I don't know offhand the method Bally used to signify a sample.
Alex

#12 11 years ago

There is no serial number. The tags are in it, but they are blank. No manufacturer certificate on collar and no signs that there ever was one, no serial number stamped on cabinet. Just the model number. All the paperwork is still stapled in the game but it was never filled in.

#13 11 years ago

Another cool looking Bally single player

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Completely off topic, but that looks like one of the most borinig pins that I have ever seen.

Dude, it's an EM. They're all like that. It's just a completely different game. They are a lot of fun in their own right and actually take a bit more skill and concentration. If all someone has played are DMD pins, they'd consider these too much of a "drain-fest" and move on.

Quoted from stashyboy:

Also of note, the 'insert coin here' belt buckle on the closer woman. Not so subtle reference?!

If that's a reference, then what are the words "BALLS TO" referencing that's actually closer to her "region"? Two balls? (Preemptive strike: I know it's for the "balls to play" lighted numbers, just pointing out the bigger and closer words. )

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Also of note, the 'insert coin here' belt buckle on the closer woman. Not so subtle reference?!

Look at the buckle to the multiple creases in the shorts and turn the picture upside down and it reveals the message.

Better detail > http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=343&picno=14938

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

Quoted from calvin12:

actually its 2 people falling out and a bag

I was told its supposed to be D.B. Cooper along with bags of money or a couple of the extra parachutes he demanded and also received.

And I think I like my version best of all.

Kim

#17 11 years ago

Look at the buckle to the multiple creases in the shorts and turn the picture upside down and it reveals the message.
Better detail > http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=343&picno=14938

Not sure I understand. Why upside down? Anyone?
Kim

image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Not sure I understand. Anyone?
Kim

I did the same thing, and I figured I wasn't dirty enough to get it. But if it's too dirty for the man behind this to get it, we're in trouble.

FSBG1[1].jpgFSBG1[1].jpg

#19 11 years ago

Pilots name tag is "Big John".

#20 11 years ago

Not sure I understand. Why upside down? Anyone?
Kim

I had to take a step back and look again. Upside down is not required.

image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I did the same thing, and I figured I wasn't dirty enough to get it. But if it's too dirty for the man behind this to get it, we're in trouble.

*sniff* You make me so proud.

Quoted from rancegt:

I had to take a step back and look again. Upside down is not required.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks

Kim

#22 11 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised the pilot isn't drawn with his flight plan binder in his pocket!

#23 11 years ago

IPDB contacted me today. This game is an early prototype. They asked me to document every inch of it for their site. So interesting, I've had it for so many years and never really thought there was anything unusual about it until a friend posted a pic of his, which was different.
It may be prepped for a clear coat now! I wonder how many rare pins are sitting in someone's collection now, or in a basement broken, that nobody knows about?

#24 11 years ago

I don't think so, It's very unlikely, and why would any one sell the prototype. The machine looks like one of the older ones, so the prototype is probably wrecked. I'm surprised that yours is in such a condition.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Lukoo:

I don't think so, It's very unlikely, and why would any one sell the prototype. The machine looks like one of the older ones, so the prototype is probably wrecked. I'm surprised that yours is in such a condition.

What I was told (not by IPDB) is that they made a few early games (or prototypes*) that they would send out to test, or for brochure pictures, or whatever.
The guy I bought it from was an old school pin hoarder. It was at the bottom of a pile of games that was stacked the the ceiling. He probably had it for 15-20 years, then I've had it for a good while. I bought it for my wife actually And believe me I wax my games as much as I play them.
If you're talking about the first actual 'white wood 'working' model', no, this isn't it. But with a lack of serial numbers, and blank tickets inside the cab and backbox, this was most likely not a commercially sold product.
Knowing what I know, it increases the value of this particular game by very little. But it is kind of cool

*Prototype; one of the first units manufactured of a product, which is tested so that the design can be changed if necessary before the product is manufactured commercially

#26 11 years ago

Wow your game is in fantastic shape.

#27 11 years ago

Thank you Brain! I'm thinking about ordering a new spinner before I send the pics in hahahahaha

#28 11 years ago

Cool find. Prototypes are white board games. More likely, yours is some version of a sample run.

On Gottliebs, sample runs were marked with an "S". They were made and sent out for trial runs to knock out any bugs and gauge interest before the production run. Sometimes the sample run was higher than the production run. Sometimes there was no production run.

I'm thinking Bally did the same thing but maybe didn't mark them as such. I have a Joust head to head that also matches the flyer and is the only one I've ever seen that does. It has no special number other than an early one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-game-a-prototype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.