thats what she said (resized).jpg
IMG_0581 (resized).JPG
IMG_0582 (resized).JPG
IMG_0584 (resized).JPG
IMG_0580 (resized).JPG
IMG_0577 (resized).JPG
IMG_0578 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Last weekend I looked at a 1958 Sunshine to add to my collection. As it turns out it doesn't work and has a lot of missing pieces that make it a project instead of a player. While that slowed me down the real kicker was what I think is evidence of bugs. I found small roundish white balls on the bottom board as well as the coin door wood surround and under where the wood rails should be. The rails and glass are missing. There are also some under the back box. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if this is truly bugs or something else. I passed on the machine, but could consider it as a project if I'm wrong about the bugs.

IMG_0578 (resized).JPGIMG_0578 (resized).JPG

IMG_0577 (resized).JPGIMG_0577 (resized).JPG

IMG_0580 (resized).JPGIMG_0580 (resized).JPG

IMG_0584 (resized).JPGIMG_0584 (resized).JPG

IMG_0582 (resized).JPGIMG_0582 (resized).JPG

IMG_0581 (resized).JPGIMG_0581 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I wouldn't take the chance.

Sounds like either termites or powderpost beetles.

Something you wouldn't want to import into your home.

#3 6 years ago

Yes.
The white droppings are from powderpost beetles, termites, or carpenter ants. Someone should call, or take it to an exterminator. They can fumigate it correctly.

#4 6 years ago

I'd say the evidence is somewhat overwhelming to the affirmative.

#5 6 years ago

I think id pass on the machine, regardless of the bugs

#6 6 years ago

Honestly curious:
So where are the bugs then? Inside the wood? Hiding? Gone?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Inside the wood? Hiding? Gone?

All of the above. May not have signs of insects. There will be eggs in bored out tubes in the layers of wood. Since the pin appears to be in Florida, a warmer climate, there could still be an infestation. Some what of a risk.

#8 6 years ago

I think it's more than possible that's rubber from the disintegrating rings shown in many of the pics..everytime they raised the PF it would shower the rails, inner cab, and edge of the backbox with detritus. And when they threw the old rings inside, it just caused even more accumulation...

It also looks like that game is inside the house from the one pic where you can see the carpet...if it's been stored in a garage or barn it would be more likely to have an insect infestation.

If you really wanna be sure, ask a local pest control guy, who I assume will know more about Florida insects than random just-trying-to-help pinball guys. ;o) Although we are quite knowledgeable...lol

#9 6 years ago

Yes it had an infestation at one time, you can see the wood chewed on the side rail area, but are they still alive??? All I know is I would not buy it unless you intend to have it fumigated professionally before bringing it into your house.

When it doubt, keep it out!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

When it doubt, keep it out!

thats what she said (resized).jpgthats what she said (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

I think it's more than possible that's rubber from the disintegrating rings shown in many of the pics..everytime they raised the PF it would shower the rails, inner cab, and edge of the backbox with detritus. And when they threw the old rings inside, it just caused even more accumulation...

There's no doubt that they are bug droppings based on the regular shape, size, and texture.

#12 6 years ago

Ha!! just saw the "40 Year Old Virgin" uncut version recently again, what a hoot!

#13 6 years ago

Definitely wood destroying insect activity. Bag it and fumigate it immediately if you buy it. Be aware that there is likely extensive hidden damage within the wood. I would pass on it myself.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Although I really like this title, I’m going to pass. Even if it didn’t have a bug issue the missing parts make this an expensive project game.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

Thanks for all the responses. Although I really like this title, I’m going to pass. Even if it didn’t have a bug issue the missing parts make this an expensive project game.

It's one of the more common woodrail titles around. They come around quite often.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-evidence-of-bugs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.