(Topic ID: 201604)

Is this duck motor ok for another 60 years?

By 4Max

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi, am working on my very first EM Rifle game, Genco Big Top.

It is coming along well, but given my zero experience with these, I do not know if this motor (duck motor, runs all the time machine in playing) is ok?

I dropped a couple of drops of 3 in 1 on the end you can see, and on the other side where the felt hole is.

But, its still fairly noisy, and every now and then squeaks quite loud, but it works, and the phrase "the enemy of good is better" comes to mind.

So, advice: leave it, or, if the consensus is to rebuild, what would the steps be to quieten it down?

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

You got to rebuild them. The brass plain bearings are now well worn from your description. Change them out and it will go another 25 years.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, Steve

Any advice on where to source the parts? And any previous posts/pages where it covers procedure. I have struggled to find anything with my googling!

Thanks

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

Thanks, Steve
    Any advice on where to source the parts? And any previous posts/pages where it covers procedure. I have struggled to find anything with my googling!
    Thanks

I have detailed how to a few times most recently, today on how fix one of these open gearboxes. See link to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-58-short-stop-from-the-pike-amusement-area-in-la/page/2#post-4049215. Post #51.

Steve at PBR sells a placement kit that probably includes all you will need. You have to call him, tell him your spec # off the motor and he will question you on whether you are up to the rebuild task.

If you are, do it like I do If you fail the test he will do it all for you in pretty quickly. I have old motors I take the good parts from and have a few new plain bearings from kits.

Good luck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-duck-motor-ok-for-anther-60-years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.