Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cpr9999
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14_cpu_lamp_rows.jpg
    BB55BAE2-7832-48AE-AC26-7B511E41535F (resized).jpeg
    B91B97D8-58DB-4527-908F-6BF41293B8AE (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have a spare Data East CPU, untested, but might be better than what’s in my game minus this absurd chalky section in the back. Is this fixable? The traces still kinda seem there.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

I would not touch it

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

I would not touch it

You think a pro board tech might have a shot?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

You think a pro board tech might have a shot?

No, I don't think so

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

No, I don't think so

Bummer. Thanks guys.

#6 3 years ago

Sprayed with alcohol still looks pretty rough, but better. Might try it for kicks if nothing else. Rest of the board looks GREAT.

B91B97D8-58DB-4527-908F-6BF41293B8AE (resized).jpegB91B97D8-58DB-4527-908F-6BF41293B8AE (resized).jpeg
    #7 3 years ago

How about the other side of the board? I think you would need to desolder and resolder those solder joints.

#8 3 years ago

Looks like there maybe a possible short at the top center of the picture. A leg bent over to the pad next to it.

#9 3 years ago

Do you have good continuity between pins whose trace goes through there? If so, I wouldn't worry about that damage much. It's not like the condition of the pcb really affects the functioning of the circuit.

I'd be more worried about if the components are good, and what caused the damage

#10 3 years ago

Problem with continuity test is it might be good, but then you “shake” play the machine and you might get a frustrating intermittent connection.

You could use small wire wound wire and solder wire between each connection to guarantee connection.

Way more work than worth it - get a better used version.

#11 3 years ago

Not sure if these are shorts OR they were done on purpose?

BB55BAE2-7832-48AE-AC26-7B511E41535F (resized).jpegBB55BAE2-7832-48AE-AC26-7B511E41535F (resized).jpeg
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from cpr9999:

Not sure if these are shorts OR they were done on purpose?
    [quoted image]

If this is the cleaned image, you are seeing paper towels specks. The one at the top is a bent leg.

#13 3 years ago

This part of the board usually (almost always in every board I have seen) has excessive heat exposure. Those 27 Ohm resistors heat up so that they are hot to the touch within one minute of power on.

As long as the board is electrically correct there is no reason it should not work. If you are keen to use this board and want to prevent further heat damage you should apply the "MOSFET modification".

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry

Williams System 11 CPU boards have the same problem. I don't have a heat camera image of the original TIP42 components. I only have an image with the MOSFET modification. The hot spot is in the lamp rows not the lamp columns.

14_cpu_lamp_rows.jpg14_cpu_lamp_rows.jpg
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

This part of the board usually (almost always in every board I have seen) has excessive heat exposure. Those 27 Ohm resistors heat up so that they are hot to the touch within one minute of power on.
    As long as the board is electrically correct there is no reason it should not work. If you are keen to use this board and want to prevent further heat damage you should apply the "MOSFET modification".
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Using_MOSFETs_in_the_Lamp_Matrix_Circuitry
    Williams System 11 CPU boards have the same problem. I don't have a heat camera image of the original TIP42 components. I only have an image with the MOSFET modification. The hot spot is in the lamp rows not the lamp columns.
    [quoted image]

Cool image

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-data-east-cpu-usable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.