Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is it Cheating to adjust the flipper bats from their proper position to make the game easier”

• Yes: I'm a cheater 8 votes
    89%
  • No: It's good playfield set up 1 vote
    11%

(9 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

I shopped my FT a few years ago and set the flippers to be straight with a 6" ruler. But, with this setup you cannot backhand the "Casters Club" with the right flipper. So...tonight I adjusted the flipper so that I can backhand the "Casters Club". This also allows you to cradle & catch the ball easier.

Is this cheating, or just good playfield setup. It does make the game a little easier to play.

#2 5 years ago

Cheating. One of the reasons why many olde EMs, with shallow flippers (barely above horizontal when activated) and lower slopes are *harder* than many modern games--you an barely cradle the ball, and drop catches have to be very precise. People who make their new games "super steep" and think they're harder because they're 'faster' are wrong--it's much easier to catch and hold the ball on a steep game, and there's less side-to-side sling action that throws thye ball to the outlanes.

#3 5 years ago

thats the fun of FT . After every game you feel like you got kicked in the nuts!

#4 5 years ago

How is adjusting the flippers to a non-standard position any different that doing something like putting a 3x size post rubber on the outlanes so its easier to save the ball.

#5 5 years ago

You should not be able to backhand that shot. But, you SHOULD be able to backhand the extra ball shot.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from slow1000rider03:

thats the fun of FT . After every game you feel like you got kicked in the nuts!

I guess I don't like getting kicked in the nuts.

For clarity, I didn't have to adjust the flippers up very much. In what I consider the proper position, you could backhand the "Extra Ball" target. I adjusted them up the slightest bit, now I can backhand the "Casters Club" (ball lock). My adjustment is basically the same as setting the flipper with a straight edge without the flipper rubber.

#7 5 years ago

It's your game, set it up how you enjoy playing. It might not be cheating per se, but that's not the standard.

#8 5 years ago

Oh, and sometimes you can get lucky and lock a ball off the right boat side post. If I don't have time to make a pass, I will try that.

#9 5 years ago

Do whatever makes the game more enjoyable to you. You bought the machine to enjoy it, if adjusting the flippers or blocking off the out lanes makes it more enjoyable, then have it (unless of course your training to become PAPA world champion )

#10 5 years ago

I remember seeing a video back in the day of Gary Stern answering questions. One was about the tilt bob & he replied "I remove it if it's in my home" or something like that.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

For clarity, I didn't have to adjust the flippers up very much. In what I consider the proper position, you could backhand the "Extra Ball" target. I adjusted them up the slightest bit, now I can backhand the "Casters Club" (ball lock). My adjustment is basically the same as setting the flipper with a straight edge without the flipper rubber.

Neither is the proper way. FT has guide holes, which you can clearly see in the pic linked below.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=861&picno=48934&zoom=1

With a toothpick in the hole, the bat should stop (rest) against it (no rubber). Obviously you can adjust them any way you want, but you'll have a hell of a time playing another one that's properly adjusted down the road. FT can be a tough game, even on factory settings. So I can see how you might be tempted. Still, I wouldn't do it.

#12 5 years ago

Wow! I'm a bit surprised at the polarized answers. In reality the answer is set it up how you like to play it. It is your game. Tweaks and adjustments to do that are just the personalization of your game and there are no rules.

Technically my Demo Man would be setup nonstandard and be in violation for some of these people because my outlanes are all the way open with no bottom rubber. That isn't how it came from the factory, so am I cheating by making it harder? But I enjoy it more that way so is it bad that a normal setup elsewhere is easier?

You setup your games any way you want to. It isn't cheating at all. Set them up right on that line of being fun and don't worry about anything else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Sale Pending!
Akron, OH
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
3,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Greenwich, RI
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
MONSTERFISH MODS
$ 16.00
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 109.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside