Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ectobar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Cheating or Pinball Tweaking 101?”

• That’s totally Cheating 4 votes
      16%
    • Part of the hobby - Pinball Tweaking 21 votes
      84%
    • Other 0 votes

(25 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Oprah Cheater (resized).jpg
    1A7FFE3F-2370-4FB8-8E71-1A8C58F51437 (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

For the past 6 months or more my SnikT shot causes lots of air balls and deflects. My Katana ramp has also been very inconsistent. The game is just very Klunky. I removed this rubber (see screenshot below) and the game plays like i remember. Still difficult, but no more air balls, and a katana ramp that is more consistent. I’m being told that doing tweaks like this is cheating. I thought that was a part of the pinball hobby. What say you?

If it’s cheating, is removing the screw from the tower ramp so that shot is consistent cheating too? How about pinstadiums or spot lights that brighten up a game and effect an intentional light show?

1A7FFE3F-2370-4FB8-8E71-1A8C58F51437 (resized).png1A7FFE3F-2370-4FB8-8E71-1A8C58F51437 (resized).png
    #2 3 years ago

it's only cheating if you put it back on before your opponent plays their ball. otherwise, it's just how the game is.

#3 3 years ago

I don't think anyone will say this is 'cheating', just an example of setting up a game for your preference. Also a reminder of why comparing scores from different machines is only good for casual competition. If you enjoy the game more with it set up like this, great.

All's fair in love and pinball... except death saves.

#4 3 years ago

You’re home, you’re choice. Set it up how you like it. Even if everything was stock, I don’t think you can compare one person’s game to another’s. There will always be slight differences in how they perform. Some people can’t make the phone scoop shot on DI. I have no issue making it on mine. Just a matter of the particular game and slight differences in tolerances. If someone takes off the cliffy to make that shot easier, I don’t think that’s cheating.

#5 3 years ago

Who told you that it was cheating?

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

You’re home, you’re choice. Set it up how you like it. Even if everything was stock, I don’t think you can compare one person’s game to another’s. There will always be slight differences in how they perform. Some people can’t make the phone scoop shot on DI. I have no issue making it on mine. Just a matter of the particular game and slight differences in tolerances. If someone takes off the cliffy to make that shot easier, I don’t think that’s cheating.

That’s a great example. I’ve played DI’s with and without the cliffy. Always loved the ones without it.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Couple peeps in the owners thread. Don’t know why it’s bothering me. I’ve been in the hobby long enough to know what tweaking is all about and setting up a game to your own skill level. But still, needed to check myself.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

To be fair FatPanda had my back and I’ve always trusted his judgement (from what I remember).

#9 3 years ago

The designer intended it to be clunky and inconsistent...cheater!

#10 3 years ago

I did this to my game and it makes the shot easier, thanks! I dont think its cheating to make the game play smoother. I put alittle piece of felt tape on the inside of the scoop also to not get rejects, is that cheating too?

#11 3 years ago

I voted totally cheating, just because Eskaybee doesn't need any extra help. If I did it however, it would be completely justified.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I voted totally cheating, just because Eskaybee doesn't need any extra help. If I did it however, it would be completely justified.

Haha now this is truth.

#13 3 years ago

It’s your game man play it how you want but if that little voice in your head starts to whisper...cheater...cheater...then maybe it is

#14 3 years ago

Oprah Cheater (resized).jpgOprah Cheater (resized).jpg

No, just kidding. You're all good.

#15 3 years ago

Cheating?!? That’s insane. That’s like adjusting the flap for seawitch.
    Is it cheating? No it makes the game better and fixes the cheapo cost cutting that stern did. It makes the game play BETTER.

Or adding deflectors for air balls. That’s improving the game and not cheating.

Rubbering outlanes, blocking gates? That’s obvious and blatant cheating.

#16 3 years ago

Come on SKB, you know better. Who are you cheating?

So silly. You spent thousands of dollars on your toy. Do whatever you want. We know you're a good player. Don't let some knuckleheads on here ruin your fun.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-cheating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.